• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

some clocks for sale in the Marketplace section

27 posts in this topic

Yes, trademark can expire if not rigorously defended, and I honestly don't know about the Charlton logo itself, although I suspect someone does in fact hold the rights and trademark.

The Little Lulu character and distinctive likeness thereof as well as various Lulu-related materials is indeed still protected. Recently the character was used for a short-lived animated series on HBO, but I don't know what entity or person holds the rights at this time.

...sigh... how 'bout the Yellow Kid? Can I get a clock with his likeness? Or has DC or Marvel recently snapped that up as well? smile.gif

Foxy Grandpa? Krazy Kat? Katzenjammer Kids? Is nothing public domain anymore?

Maybe a sundial would be more appropriate...

I'm sure the Goth Princess wouldn't mind you having a clock made with her likeness... tongue.gif

Or if you prefer, there's bound to be a pic around of greggy in his famous short shorts... sumo.gif

As far as Little Lulu, given that Lulu Hardcovers were released in the mid-90s, I really doubt she's lasped into public domain...

See and this is where I agree that the whole system can be exploited in the *other* direction by those who purchase rights from estates and the like for the sole purpose of eternally tying up the ownership of properties that should have already passed into the public domain. There was a reason why the initial concept of copyright allowed for the eventual expiration of ownership rights and passage into public domain, but thanks largely to a particularly large pop culture empire as well as those with the resources to buy the creations of others for their own financial gain, we have a lot of characters that could right now be public domain properties but aren't.

But as someone who would like to know that his own creations would be protected, I guess it's the price we pay.

Or if you prefer, there's bound to be a pic around of greggy in his famous short shorts.
Personalized ones are available also! tongue.gif

Pictures or short shorts? Or both? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifsign-offtopic.gifsorry.gif