• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigrees - Rank'em

62 posts in this topic

but I did end up buying GL 1 and some of the GL Run along with some crappy Flash and JLA books. Over the years he ended up sending me some B & B and Showcase books because he knew I was putting those runs together.

Tom, where are the WP GLs and JLAs? What makes this collection so mysterious is how almost complete runs of some titles are known, and yet there is absolutely nothing known about many of the other titles.

The Marvel runs: ASM, Avengers, FF, ST, TOS, TTA were all in mylars with duplicates of the #1's and later issues. I have never seen a nicer AF 15.

Were all of these keys in high grade, or was it a big mix? I haven't heard the story of the original owner of Western Penn, how'd he end up with multiples?

FF: Father collected GA so the son was very intuned to Comics. When the Silver Age revival started the son was an adult. He continued his fathers passion for the medium when Showcase 4 hit the stands and the revival of Super Heroes. He was an only child that lived with his mother after his father passed. I guess he had an inclination the books might be valuable at some point in time plus he was a Collector.

When the Marvel explosion hit he already had amassed quite a collection. He wasn't a kid like most of us so to spend $20 at a newstand with virtually no expenses wasn't a problem. He also had the newstand owner pull books for him so he didn't miss anything because sometimes he had to travel.

He could but 10 copies of the #1s for $1.20. I spoke to my wifes grandfather who was alive when Action 1 came out, read comics but didn't really collect them. He told me all of the kid's even in those days knew that the #1 issue of comics where sought after. He also said he had saved the first issue of Superman and recently gave that along with some others to Goodwill. That was in 1984.

The point being that with the advent of Fanzines in the early 60's, which he had an almost complete collection, Other like minded collectors understood they weren't alone with their passion. I am sure he wasn't the only one the purchased multiples of books.

I guess I'm feeling a little nostalgic after seeing the Mound City Collection come to light.

Sorry if this is boring anyone.

Tom

Western Penn snow white pages,bright colors.I dont for the life of me know how this is only a 9.0,looks like a 9.6

Scan10066-1-1.jpg

Because:

1. Tiny spine stress front cover that breaks color

2. Finger dents on left side back cover (that do not break color).

3. Small wear top and bottom spine.

4. Small dents front and back cover.

(1-877-NM-COMIC...)

Western Penn snow white pages,bright colors.I dont for the life of me know how this is only a 9.0,looks like a 9.6

Scan10066-1-1.jpg

Because:

1. Tiny spine stress front cover that breaks color

2. Finger dents on left side back cover (that do not break color).

3. Small wear top and bottom spine.

4. Small dents front and back cover.

(1-877-NM-COMIC...)

Sounds like a perfect candidate to be... whoops.

Western Penn's really are great. And for people who care thanks to Linmoth the question of if a 9.4 or higher Showcase 22 exists, it likely does.. and its a Western Penn in some private collection.

FF: Father collected GA so the son was very intuned to Comics. When the Silver Age revival started the son was an adult. He continued his fathers passion for the medium when Showcase 4 hit the stands and the revival of Super Heroes. He was an only child that lived with his mother after his father passed. I guess he had an inclination the books might be valuable at some point in time plus he was a Collector.

When the Marvel explosion hit he already had amassed quite a collection. He wasn't a kid like most of us so to spend $20 at a newstand with virtually no expenses wasn't a problem. He also had the newstand owner pull books for him so he didn't miss anything because sometimes he had to travel.

He could but 10 copies of the #1s for $1.20. I spoke to my wifes grandfather who was alive when Action 1 came out, read comics but didn't really collect them. He told me all of the kid's even in those days knew that the #1 issue of comics where sought after. He also said he had saved the first issue of Superman and recently gave that along with some others to Goodwill. That was in 1984.

The point being that with the advent of Fanzines in the early 60's, which he had an almost complete collection, Other like minded collectors understood they weren't alone with their passion. I am sure he wasn't the only one the purchased multiples of books.

I guess I'm feeling a little nostalgic after seeing the Mound City Collection come to light.

Sorry if this is boring anyone.

Tom

:o God no. I for one love hearing these kind of stories. I was born in 1980 lol so I missed out on a lot of the early comic collecting days.

From your post before you said you passed on the FF run. :cry: Just curious, what year this was?

Long Gone! I think that VIA bought the Sea Devil and Atom runs. I see an occaisonal book pop up now and then with the WP notation.

They were the ones that named the collection Western Penn!

It`s one of the unfortunate things about the WPs that they have no real distinguishing marks. I`ve always wondered whether some have surfaced but no one realized they were WPs.

And for people who care thanks to Linmoth the question of if a 9.4 or higher Showcase 22 exists, it likely does.. and its a Western Penn in some private collection.

But if the WP Flash run is any indication, the condition of the books from mid-1961 and earlier seems to be a little worse. 1962 and on seems to be when the owner really started to consistently preserve the books well.

And for people who care thanks to Linmoth the question of if a 9.4 or higher Showcase 22 exists, it likely does.. and its a Western Penn in some private collection.

But if the WP Flash run is any indication, the condition of the books from mid-1961 and earlier seems to be a little worse. 1962 and on seems to be when the owner really started to consistently preserve the books well.

Stop killing my dream Tim. You're a terrible person.

Long Gone! I think that VIA bought the Sea Devil and Atom runs. I see an occaisonal book pop up now and then with the WP notation.

It`s one of the unfortunate things about the WPs that they have no real distinguishing marks. I`ve always wondered whether some have surfaced but no one realized they were WPs.

There are distinguishing marks on some of the books! I'm not sure the Showcase 22 would grade as 9.4. It was listed as NM and the 23, 24 NM/M when sold. But as we all know grading is subjective and has changed with the advent of CGC.

They have!

The silver age books were stored in laundry bags, stacked, alternating the spines by the OO. It depends on the storage techniques used by susequent owners.

The Showcase 34, 35 and 36 and B&B 34-36 were in Double Mylars and backing boards. I guess the founder liked those covers. Then stored in a 3 ring binder in Mylar and backing board. You appreciated all but the Showcase 34 while you owned them didn't you?

when did VIA have the books? did they have any certificate w/ them? i bought many books from them back in the day, i wonder if i have/had any WP's but didn't realize it.

when did VIA have the books? did they have any certificate w/ them? i bought many books from them back in the day, i wonder if i have/had any WP's but didn't realize it.

They had some books advertised on their website I am thinking it was late 90's. I was just getting back into actively collecting so I think that is correct. That is how I found out the books had been given a name. I don't know if VIA gave out cerificates with the books. I do know when they were sold by the founder the asking price was usually 3X guide.

I believe VIA purchased the Strange Tales run and some of the TOS and TTA run. The TOS 39 as far as I know was not sold. I believe many of these books are in Brulato's Collection.

Some of the books went to Sparkle City early on also.

I am sure there are a significant amount of HG books out there that are WPs. As Tim stated most have no distinguishing marks.

Hope this helps.

Tom

The Showcase 34, 35 and 36 and B&B 34-36 were in Double Mylars and backing boards. I guess the founder liked those covers. Then stored in a 3 ring binder in Mylar and backing board. You appreciated all but the Showcase 34 while you owned them didn't you?

Interesting. Those books certainly reflected the owner`s careful handling and preservation. They were indeed gorgeous.

I'm not sure the Showcase 22 would grade as 9.4. It was listed as NM and the 23, 24 NM/M when sold. But as we all know grading is subjective and has changed with the advent of CGC.

There you go, Eric, the dream is still alive!

They had some books advertised on their website I am thinking it was late 90's. I was just getting back into actively collecting so I think that is correct. That is how I found out the books had been given a name. I don't know if VIA gave out cerificates with the books. I do know when they were sold by the founder the asking price was usually 3X guide.

They did not provide any certificates.

I believe VIA purchased the Strange Tales run and some of the TOS and TTA run. The TOS 39 as far as I know was not sold. I believe many of these books are in Brulato's Collection.

Correct. The WP Strange Tales and TTA runs are probably the best existing. Certainly the TTA run is, if for no other reason than it includes the only copy of TTA 35 that has graded above 9.0 so far.

They did not provide any certificates.

Correct. The WP Strange Tales and TTA runs are probably the best existing. Certainly the TTA run is, if for no other reason than it includes the only copy of TTA 35 that has graded above 9.0 so far.

FYI, I got a couple Western Penn Sgt Fury's from VIA.