• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mound City Comic Collection Details on original owner revealed

107 posts in this topic

Here is a TV news story concerning the incredible sale that many of us watched unfold yesterday

TV story ( check out Roy's 15 minutes of fame ) :applause:

Here are detail I found in one of the comments

Direct quote from the comments left for the TV story

I watched with great sadness the story about the cache of comic books discovered in an Arnold basement. Allow me to explain. The man who compiled that collection was my best friend, Ronnie Joe Sellers R.I.P.

I was born in 1948, he was born in 1947. He was an only child, as was I. We met in first grade, when I bent over to pick up a crayon and he pushed me out of my chair, That was the beginning of a life long friendship. When he came to South Carolina and drove his car off a bridge, he stayed at my house for three months to heal. Believe me when I tell you I could write a great book about our escapades, but, I will tell you the story of the Comics.

As youngsters, we used to ride our bicycles to a drug store on Lafayette, close to our Grade School. He got 2 or 3 dollars allowance and I got 5. We would pass the time waiting for the magazine guy by playing pinball. If he didn't have enough money to buy all of the comics he wanted, I would gladly give him the money he needed, that was what best friends were for.

Eventually Ron was diagnosed with Crones disease and went on full disabillity. I told him several times to sell his comics and records and he could have a much improved life style, but he didn't want to sell them.

I miss Ronnie very much, he was the only "brother" I ever had.

Rest in Peace Ronnie, Thelma and Ed. I miss all of you. :angel:

For those who would like to see this collection again and marvel at it

Mound City Comic auction Finals

I am still amazed the this collection went unfound for so many years. To me it is just as important as the Mile High is to the Golden age. This is my greatest collection for the silver age.

WEBHEAD

Yup but it's buried in 170 pages. Makes sense to put this out in the open :baiting:

This guy reminded me of myself as far as the collecting thing. I went to one place "Franks Sweet Shop" for years in the '60's but I only had a couple of dollars to spend.

WEBHEAD

As youngsters, we used to ride our bicycles to a drug store on Lafayette, close to our Grade School. He got 2 or 3 dollars allowance and I got 5. We would pass the time waiting for the magazine guy by playing pinball. If he didn't have enough money to buy all of the comics he wanted, I would gladly give him the money he needed, that was what best friends were for.

Sad about the friend passing on, but what a nice story about two pals doing what many of us have done.

did I understand that roy won the xmen 1?

He won it on behalf of someone else he appears to prefer keeping anonymous. :gossip:

I see. I thought that was far and away the best book of the auction. So nice....

did I understand that roy won the xmen 1?

He won it on behalf of someone else he appears to prefer keeping anonymous. :gossip:

I see. I thought that was far and away the best book of the auction. So nice....

It was a stunner in hand. Back cover shadow was lighter than I had expected it to be and the front was as white as can be expected on a 50 year old book.

Bidding on it was kind of nerve rattling.

It was a stunner in hand. Back cover shadow was lighter than I had expected it to be and the front was as white as can be expected on a 50 year old book.

Care to reveal how high you were authorized to go on it? :popcorn:

Care to reveal how high you were authorized to go on it? :popcorn:

I can't do that as much as it would be fun to discuss.

:foryou:

Here is a TV news story concerning the incredible sale that many of us watched unfold yesterday

So how did this come to market? The family auction it, sell it, a Chuckles-like dealer come in a snag it for some shiny pennies?

The family offered it to Mound City Auctions for $5K, they realized that was low and instead offered to just auction them for the family, a dealer subsequently offers Mound City $50K which they turn down, and blam, family gets like $600K or so instead. :o A bit more heroic than Chuck and the Mile Highs. ^^

The family offered it to Mound City Auctions for $5K, they realized that was low and instead offered to just auction them for the family, a dealer subsequently offers Mound City $50K which they turn down, and blam, family gets like $600K or so instead. :o A bit more heroic than Chuck and the Mile Highs. ^^

why $600k? i thought the books hit $1mm. was that w/ BP? did mound take that big a piece?