• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mound City Comic Collection Details on original owner revealed

107 posts in this topic

Ok, more importantly, who was the girl working the auction?? Come on, this is important stuff!!

Jim?? Roy?? Help me out here!!

Rob's daughter, and she's as cute as she can be. (thumbs u

why $600k? i thought the books hit $1mm. was that w/ BP? did mound take that big a piece?

That's entirely an educated guess on my part. I was curious how much estate auction houses typically take before this auction ever began, so I browsed maybe a half-dozen web sites and found figures that ranged from 20% to 40%. I suppose I was assuming that Mound City would be getting around 25% + the extra 5% to 15% juice from the bidders. I have no actual idea what their cut is. (shrug)

I think the $1 million was before the buyer's premium. A 25 percent seller's premium seems high. With a premium of that size, the auctioneer would receive well north of $300,000 before expenses. Whether that's reasonable, I don't know. Whatever the consignor ends up netting, it's sure going to beat $5,000.

25% sellers premium is not bad for not really doing anything at all. :whee:

That is a low blow. These guys have worked their arse's off the last two months and layed out a lot of upfront cash to make this happen. If they don't clear 100-200K, I would think it was a lot of wasted effort on their part. It would not surprise me if they had over 1000 man hours in this auction.

i was talking about the family/owners of the books. meh:slapfight:

Not to defend our man Chuck, but anyone interested should take a look at his account of the Edgar Church find on his web site. If you buy that version, it was not the monumental ripoff that it seems. I do remember there being a lot of resentment over it from the get go, though. Partly, I think because of the counterculture vibe that comic collecting had in those days, which Chuck clearly played off of when he started Mile High. A score of that magnitude didn't sit well with a fair number of people.

Ok, more importantly, who was the girl working the auction?? Come on, this is important stuff!!

Married?? Engaged?? Looking for someone who sells plastic and cardboard for a living?? :popcorn:

Married?? Engaged?? Looking for someone who sells plastic and cardboard for a living?? :popcorn:

No idea. I thought she was in the 16 to 18 year old range, but someone said she was 22.

She was a very sweet girl with a great personality.

No idea. I thought she was in the 16 to 18 year old range, but someone said she was 22.

You just had to kill it with the great personality,didnt you :baiting:

I wish I could hook my son up with her. Dad would definitely approve. :applause:

I wish I could hook my son up with her. Dad would definitely approve. :applause:

Pictures anyone?

Pictures anyone?

16-18?? Dam, that'll get 30 at least. I'll pass.

Not to defend our man Chuck, but anyone interested should take a look at his account of the Edgar Church find on his web site. If you buy that version, it was not the monumental ripoff that it seems. I do remember there being a lot of resentment over it from the get go, though. Partly, I think because of the counterculture vibe that comic collecting had in those days, which Chuck clearly played off of when he started Mile High. A score of that magnitude didn't sit well with a fair number of people.

I never understood the resentment towards Chuck on this issue? Edgar's family was going to trash all this stuff so thank godness Chuck was lucky enough to stumble upon the greatest collection that ever existed.

Not only that. They had the vision that this could be big. They had the expertise to pull it off. They had the cash to invest in the necessary grading, venue, and technology. They also had the balls not to take the easy route and sell out to Metropolis, CL, or Heritage.

Here, here, nice to see SOME OTHER AUCTION HOUSE, BESIDES THE BIG THREE, put up a nice selection of books,

B :applause:

I never understood the resentment towards Chuck on this issue? Edgar's family was going to trash all this stuff so thank godness Chuck was lucky enough to stumble upon the greatest collection that ever existed.

From what I understand many issues were trashed before he got there.

I agree. The fact that Chuck saved them from being thrown out, and had the foresight to keep records and allow the provenance and lineage to be traceable. He gets mess over this all the time.

Some people act like if you make a dollar on a book, you owe a cut to everyone that owned it before you because they helped to preserve it in the condition it's in. It just defies logical thinking.

If you buy something for a price agreed by both parties, the seller's ride on the boat is over. If it was bought for a buck and sold immediately for a million dollars, oh well.

I agree. The fact that Chuck saved them from being thrown out, and had the foresight to keep records and allow the provenance and lineage to be traceable. He gets mess over this all the time.

Some people act like if you make a dollar on a book, you owe a cut to everyone that owned it before you because they helped to preserve it in the condition it's in. It just defies logical thinking.

If you buy something for a price agreed by both parties, the seller's ride on the boat is over. If it was bought for a buck and sold immediately for a million dollars, oh well.

Given the ethos of those days, Chuck would have received less static if the score had been weed rather than comics. :D

yes, also kudos to those that advised them (if any at all) to make this work and make it right for the owner because some person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed could have easily swindle the entire lot for $5k or whatever it was that the owner thought they were worth.

Somewhere out there, there are still people with some decency and integrity.

Yeah, but Chuck knew what he had and that he had taken the Church family to the cleaners -- even if they didnt know it, it was no excuse.

That's why I will dub Rob the ANTI-CHUCK...he could have picked up the whole thing for $5K and yielded a HUGE profit...but instead had the family take part in the mega-profits. BRAVO!

If you buy that version...

You're the biggest fool this board has ever seen.

Q: How do you know that Chuck is lying?

A: His lips are moving.

The competition is pretty intense, though, no?

That's why I will dub Rob the ANTI-CHUCK...he could have picked up the whole thing for $5K and yielded a HUGE profit...but instread included had the family take part in the mega-profits.

Agreed, and these guys deserve major kudos for their ethics, as I'm sure that if they'd darkened Chucks door he'd have told them they're worthless newsprint and he couldn't pay more than the recycling value.

The worst part of what Chuck did is that decades after he used the Church books he scammed to build his MH empire he has done NOTHING to make things right. Set up a small bursary in Edgar's name or a scholarship - it wouldn't take much.

But he's done nothing - and that speaks volumes.

I bet when Chuck dies and they try to harvest his organs, they'll find a shriveled up pit where his heart should be.

If you buy that version...

You're the biggest fool this board has ever seen.

Q: How do you know that Chuck is lying?

A: His lips are moving.

The competition is pretty intense, though, no?

Hey, don't worry, you've got a HUGE lead. (thumbs u