• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the best Captain America story of all time

55 posts in this topic

I have been collecting Captain America comics since I was a kid . I have a complete set of books from 1996 Volume - Current. I also have probably 200 of the #100-#454. I was curious what Cap fans thought was the best story or story arc of all time ?

The criteria is that it has to be a Captain America titled book from #1-#601 Minus the first 57 issues of TOS of course.

In my oppinion the New Captain America series Volume 5 #1-50 + 601 is the best I have read so far

Thanks

Trey

I'm probably not qualified to answer this question since I've never been much of a Captain America fan. (I really like some of the early Timelys for their covers and historical content. They are some of my favorite comics. But I was never able to successfully read one from cover to cover without getting bored.) But I really liked Captain America volume 4 starting w/ issue 26.

I know I may get kicked off the gold & silver age sections of the boards for saying this but I think Brubaker's work on Captain America is the best captain america storyline to date.

I'm probably not qualified to answer this question since I've never been much of a Captain America fan. (I really like some of the early Timelys for their covers and historical content. They are some of my favorite comics. But I was never able to successfully read one from cover to cover without getting bored.) But I really liked Captain America volume 4 starting w/ issue 26.

I know I may get kicked off the gold & silver age sections of the boards for saying this but I think Brubaker's work on Captain America is the best captain america storyline to date.

The best runs are when Steve Rogers is not Captain America.

Captain America gets real good in the Brubaker run after he is killed off starting with issue #25.

Another great run is when Captain America Steve Rogers gets replaced by John Walker. John Walker Captain America made a much more interesting read then Steve.

cap332.jpg

300px-Captain_america_350-17.jpg

Waid's run near the end of the Vol #1 were the best I've read...

I won't read Brubaker's run since he's the cause of Bucky's return...

Jim

Yeah, it really is too bad they pulled the rug out from under Waid and Garney. They were on to something.

If memory serves, "The Bloodstone Hunt" (357-362) was also a good story.

(I really like some of the early Timelys for their covers and historical content. They are some of my favorite comics. But I was never able to successfully read one from cover to cover without getting bored.)

The early Red Skull stories are pretty good, especially Cap #16. (thumbs u

88877.jpg.ac02af49e4003ef001c8419144735f40.jpg

mmm... I liked Streets of Poison too, but just b/c it's one of the earliest things I recall reading about Cap...

Brubaker's run is freaking fantastic; I hated the idea at first, but bringing back Bucky and killing Steve was brilliant! (and I wish he'd leave Steve dead)

Waid/Garney was a lot of fun, but I have a hard time ranking it up there as I can't remember much about it except that the shield broke.

A lot of the mid-80's stuff was fun... Mother Night, Crossbones, the Skull... good times, but a lot of it felt kind of hokey too.

I'll go with Brubaker too. fantastic stuff.

Brubaker run was incredible. I also liked issue 241, (Punisher cross-over). 254 (Baron Blood). Also the Streets of Poison story arc was pretty good. I love the GA Cap covers, and they really are works of art, but the stories are a little dated...

ML

Brubaker made me love Cap. GA Schomburg Cap covers are beautiful works of art but yeah the stories are way too simple.

I seriously love Ed Brubaker's run on Captain America, from #1 to current. Which, now technically means from #550 to #601 or #1 to #50, then #600-601

Mark Waid and Ron Garney the first time around on Cap was the best, from #444-#454

I love the Two Caps storyline by Steve Englehart around #148 to #154