• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats the Best Batman story ever told

47 posts in this topic

Thought I'd ask this question . Whats the best Batman story ever told . Criteria is Batman Titled books only Batman and Detective. I was an 80's kid and to me the best story during the time I was reading them back then was the Death in the Family run from Batman #426-#429

Share yours

Batman #251 is a true classic to me, the legendary -script of Denny O'Neil brings out the Joker's sheer evil in Neal Adams' art.

Actually, any of the stories from the early 1970's in both BATMAN (#227 to #251)and DETECTIVE (#400 to 448, 468 to #479 Englehart/Rogers run) are some of the best Batman stories to me.

Batman #251 is a true classic to me, the legendary -script of Denny O'Neil brings out the Joker's sheer evil in Neal Adams' art.

Actually, any of the stories from the early 1970's in both BATMAN (#227 to #251)and DETECTIVE (#400 to 448, 468 to #479 Englehart/Rogers run) are some of the best Batman stories to me.

I agree #251 is a classic Probably my favorite Cover in the Batman run

Here is my copy of that book

89021.jpg.c014b430f8ca9a8359cc8c9980b62d55.jpg

(thumbs u

The definitive Englehart/Rogers collaborations were confined to 6 issues: Detective 471-476.

I'll always remember the Ras al Ghul 4-parter from Batman 232, 242, 243, 244, with 3 out of 4 featuring Neal Adams art.

Three classics appeared during the 100 Page Super-Spectacular run: Batman 255, Moon of the Wolf (Neal Adams art), Detective 439 Night of the Stalker, and Detective 443 Gotterdammerung (Walt Simonson art).

I don't know about "the best" (too many candidates!), but a personal favorite of mine has always been "The Batman Nobody Knows" in Batman #250. Short and sweet, quirky and charming, all at the same time!

250-2.jpg

"Die Small, Die Big" from Detective #385 is another unsung winner...

385-1.jpg

I personally like Frank Miller's "Year One"

Nothing better comes to mind that appears in the two flagship titles, though "Mask" by Archie Goodwin and Bryan Talbot in LotDK 39-40, where Bruce Wayne awakes in a mental hospital only to realize that his Batman persona is only a sad delusion is one of my all time favorite Batman stories.

I personally like Frank Miller's "Year One"

Nothing better comes to mind that appears in the two flagship titles, though "Mask" by Archie Goodwin and Bryan Talbot in LotDK 39-40, where Bruce Wayne awakes in a mental hospital only to realize that his Batman persona is only a sad delusion is one of my all time favorite Batman stories.

LotDK had some killer stories. The Mask was great as was Blade and Moench's Hugo Strange stories.

All of the above are great reads, and I'd have to add Neil Gaiman's two-parter Whatever Happened To The Caped Crusader. Doug Moench's run on Batman (516 - 550) yielded some fantastic stories too.

All of the above are great reads, and I'd have to add Neil Gaiman's two-parter Whatever Happened To The Caped Crusader. Doug Moench's run on Batman (516 - 550) yielded some fantastic stories too.

Boozard would know, he is the Batman expert.

I know this isn't in Batman and Detective, but Brave and Bold 93 "Red Water, Crimson Death" is one of my favorite stories. It's a House of Mystery team-up written by O'Neil and illustrated by Adams.