• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers 93 CGC 9.6 White Pages

44 posts in this topic

wow incredible book. cant be going to be a bigger Avengers fan either. very, very nice.

Hey Teddie,

Don't you have an Avengers #93 in 9.6 also? How does yours compare to this copy?

Ive gone through numerous 9.4 and 9.6 copies of this book as it is a favorite. This book in my experiences has a couple problems which makes finding that great copy difficult, 1- staple pop through 2- spine not being square 3- centering

This copy just seems beautiful with just the slightest staple indentations, I passed on better centered copies and kept the 9.6 copy that I currently have because the spine is square as can be and structurally the book is great. The soon to be Cheetah's copy looks to easily be the best Ive seen.

I think the slight wear at the bottom right open edge kept the grade from 9.8 but it certainly is a stunner. WOW!

Definitely seems like the case Roy. In my description of issues that this book has it was moreso how to differentiate copies in equal grades (i.e 9.6 v 9.6). For sure not all copies of this book are made equal unless you only care about the label.

IMHO I believe this is a 9.8 but I do not have the say in that matter when it comes to CGC giving it the final grade. I know this, Cheetah definitely will have the nicest copy on the block.

And besides I have more regrets selling my original Todd McFarlane art, one of my favorites was the actual cover art to 299 had it for years and sold it like a dumb****.

I also had another beautiful piece from the 'Spider-Man 1' I traded Todd for a 1954 Bowman Ted Williams, at the time he got the better deal but time proved differently as McFarlane's art became very sought after and could command very high prices.

Cheetah is a a wise shopper.

Colugo :)

Can someone more familiar with the printing process explain why there are the specks or red in the brown area under the price? Almost looks like color touch, of course it's not, but they both have it so interesting none the less.

Can someone more familiar with the printing process explain why there are the specks or red in the brown area under the price? Almost looks like color touch, of course it's not, but they both have it so interesting none the less.

I believe, that "speck" you are talking about is the spot on the cover that is in contact with the staple that is holding the body of the pages together. Most copies don't have a "speck", but rather a white spot where the color was completely knocked off because of excessive contact with the underlying staple. Nice copies like this just have a tiny bit of wear from the staple, and as a result are a lighter brown.

I believe, that "speck" you are talking about is the spot on the cover that is in contact with the staple that is holding the body of the pages together. Most copies don't have a "speck", but rather a white spot where the color was completely knocked off because of excessive contact with the underlying staple. Nice copies like this just have a tiny bit of wear from the staple, and as a result are a lighter brown.

Takem to square bound school son :D

Sweet book cheetah.

Takem to square bound school son :D

Sweet book cheetah.

Actually, I think blink was talking about the red spot at the apex of the spine next to Vision's right shoulder (under the price). The staples are under Vision's feet.

That red speck is just production relation and is a spot where some colors are missing and the red (magenta) is peeking through.

Forget the book(it's ok too), what kind of scanner are you using??!!

Ditto. I am on the look out for the perfect scanner.

That is a sharp copy - congrats to both buyer and seller!

I just picked up a used HP Scanjet 8250 (legal platen size). The single best scanner for CGC books I have ever owned, and I've owned a few and none can even come close. The fellow I bought it from had 2 more and he's in the Toronto area. If anyone's interested, PM me and I'll provide you his details.

The top staple is more located near Vision's right foot and not by his head. The red spot in question has more to do with denial of ink distribution. The red spot is actually correct while the colors that did not get fully distributed CYK (C=Cyan, M=Magenta, Y=Yellow, B=Black in the printing industry) to create the color brown. It is a combination of small tiny dots that the human eye can't really detect that creates the illusion of a broader spectrum. Without magnification it is very hard to see this effect that makes up all those colors that are normally produced on printed material. You see this in a lot of comics or other printed material such as Cereal boxes, toy packaging, ect normally on big production runs. I use to own a printing company for 12 years and ran into this problem constantly.

Also on another note it was more common on older presses in less sterile environments(Dust free) compared to todays technology.

I have seen this on the other copies as well and seems consistant and am wondering if the plates were affected during their creation? There is a gentleman on this forum I think his name is DiceX or something like that who probably knows more about the comic print production that could answer this more accurately.

The top staple is more located near Vision's right foot and not by his head. The red spot in question has more to do with denial of ink distribution. The red spot is actually correct while the colors that did not get fully distributed CYK (C=Cyan, M=Magenta, Y=Yellow, B=Black in the printing industry) to create the color brown. It is a combination of small tiny dots that the human eye can't really detect that creates the illusion of a broader spectrum. Without magnification it is very hard to see this effect that makes up all those colors that are normally produced on printed material. You see this in a lot of comics or other printed material such as Cereal boxes, toy packaging, ect normally on big production runs. I use to own a printing company for 12 years and ran into this problem constantly.

Also on another note it was more common on older presses in less sterile environments(Dust free) compared to todays technology.

I have seen this on the other copies as well and seems consistant and am wondering if the plates were affected during their creation? There is a gentleman on this forum I think his name is DiceX or something like that who probably knows more about the comic print production that could answer this more accurately.

It's also a common printing defect on ASM 102 in the blue. That Avengers 93 is sweet....I don't see how there could be a 9.8 any better....and a story that's arguably Neal Adam's finest effort. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u