• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Page Quality or Grade

Grade or Page Quality  

177 members have voted

1. 1. Grade or Page Quality

53 posts in this topic

I would say normally I would choose the .5 grade lower and go with the white pages over light tan/ow anyday. But in this case the 8.5 looks so much better than the 8.0 that I wouldn't mind the LT/OW page quality due to the overall look of the 8.5.

Put me down for page quality, not only for my own personal aesthetics, but for practical purposes of value. It's a fact that page quality is the determining factor in otherwise equally graded books. Even to the point that Off-White to White page comics invariably come out second best (in terms of dollar amount) to the pure, pristine snow White versions.

I always associate cream or tan pages with decay, odor, foxing and general unkempt-ness, even though, logically, I know that might not actually be the case. It's just a stigma. Unless the book is a single highest graded, I can't get past the fact that someone else has a "better" copy of the same graded book if mine is an OW/WP and there is a WP copy out there.

the 8.5 looks so much better than the 8.0 that I wouldn't mind the LT/OW page quality due to the overall look of the 8.5.

Take the photos with a grano salis (grain of salt). Photos can vary measurable due to the color hue and lighting manipulation of the scan submitted by the individual. You can't blame them. A seller wants his book to look it's best. As long as it isn't tampered with to the point that it morphs into something that it isn't - - which would be misrepresentation. In the case of CGC graded book, of course, that would not be much of a concern.

the 8.5 looks so much better than the 8.0 that I wouldn't mind the LT/OW page quality due to the overall look of the 8.5.

Take the photos with a grano salis (grain of salt). Photos can vary measurable due to the color hue and lighting manipulation of the scan submitted by the individual. You can't blame them. A seller wants his book to look it's best. As long as it isn't tampered with to the point that it morphs into something that it isn't - - which would be misrepresentation. In the case of CGC graded book, of course, that would not be much of a concern.

Both books are scanned on the same scanner.

I thought page quality was party of the grade?

It's factored into the grade and can affect it but does not always. Depends on what the PQ is and how the rest of the book looks.

I don't think that is correct. Even if it is true, it's not the scanner, but what is done to the individual file that is of importance. Just to show you, here is a before and after take of the 8.0 book. Now which one is more appealing?

before test.jpg

after test-copy-1.jpg

I don't think that is correct. Even if it is true, it's not the scanner, but what is done to the individual file that is of importance. Just to show you, here is a before and after take of the 8.0 book. Now which one is more appealing?

before test.jpg

after test-copy-1.jpg

niether is appealing they are DC :shrug:

Any books up for sale in a Comiclink auction have to be in their possession so that they can scan the books themselves. I don't think that is the case for Heritage or CC. I know what you mean as far as files go but I don't think Comiclink changes settings for every book they scan. They must scan 1000's of books each week (or 10,000's each month). I know I wouldn't change settings for each book. I'd have one setting and scan away.

Never have had a problem going for CR/OW, never will. The notion that these books are going to "die" is so overstated that I'll gladly buy them and enjoy them, and guess what, raw, most collectors have no idea what is CR/OW and what is OW. :gossip:

Now, tan and brittle, that's a different story. That's where PQ, to me, becomes a deterrent. And really, that's the only time PQ should really come into play in influencing final sale price unless you're talking 9.2 and up.

WOW! Between these two I would think it would be a no brainer...

8.0 WHITE Pages!!!

If you ever go to sell this book, white pages speaks for itself.

hm

PLUS, you could always press for a better grade, BUT you can't

up the page quality without resto!

:devil:

Now, tan and brittle, that's a different story. That's where PQ, to me, becomes a deterrent. And really, that's the only time PQ should really come into play in influencing final sale price unless you're talking 9.2 and up.

I can certainly understand wanting to stay away from anything tanned or brittle, but...

Bear in mind that LT/OW pages can be 95% OW with a thin strip of lightly tanned along the top edge. And LT doesn't necessarily mean brittle.

I've seen books with LT that only had a sliver of LT along an edge or on the outerspread... the inner pages were OW. You should really judge on a case by case basis.

I just wanted to add that CGC can be inconsistent with page quality. I've experienced books that had white pages and then when resubmitted, it came back as offwhite-white pages or it had offwhite pages then came back cream-offwhite. It is true that tan or brittle pages are significant factors in determining the value of the book for the most part, but other than that, page quality can be either way.

I just wanted to add that CGC can be inconsistent with page quality. I've experienced books that had white pages and then when resubmitted, it came back as offwhite-white pages or it had offwhite pages then came back cream-offwhite. It is true that tan or brittle pages are significant factors in determining the value of the book for the most part, but other than that, page quality can be either way.

^^

It looks like the community is split almost 50-50 based on the poll for whether grade or page quality is most important. I most say I am a little surprised by the fact it is almost split down the middle.

Not that it is by any means final but the 8.0 is at $2,700 right now and the 8.5 at $2,200.

I suppose the 8.0 should have been pressed to see if its grade could be improved and the 8.5 resubmitted to see if it got a better page quality designation and higher grade.

I guess the other seller of the book and I are content to have sold them as is, perhaps we will see both back at a later date after having been optomized. With the $27,000 + buyers premium that the 9.2 in the Mound City auction got I was was almost wishing I had sent my book to be optomized instead of having already sent it to ComicLink to sell before the Mound City auction.

Roy is correct ComicLink does all the scanning for their auctions. I don't think they manipulate any of the scans and to imply they do is to make a pretty big acqusation. The books I have bought from them in the past have looked like they did in their scans and I can say the scan of my GL that they have up right now is representative of the book.

It looks like the community is split almost 50-50 based on the poll for whether grade or page quality is most important. I most say I am a little surprised by the fact it is almost split down the middle.

Not that it is by any means final but the 8.0 is at $2,700 right now and the 8.5 at $2,200.

I suppose the 8.0 should have been pressed to see if its grade could be improved and the 8.5 resubmitted to see if it got a better page quality designation and higher grade.

I guess the other seller of the book and I are content to have sold them as is, perhaps we will see both back at a later date after having been optomized. With the $27,000 + buyers premium that the 9.2 in the Mound City auction got I was was almost wishing I had sent my book to be optomized instead of having already sent it to ComicLink to sell before the Mound City auction.

Roy is correct ComicLink does all the scanning for their auctions. I don't think they manipulate any of the scans and to imply they do is to make a pretty big acqusation. The books I have bought from them in the past have looked like they did in their scans and I can say the scan of my GL that they have up right now is representative of the book.

I think someone is going to get a good deal on the 8.5 .....buy the book and not the label applies to PQ sometimes too.If the GL is a reholdered Mannarino book, the tanning is not bad at all and the spine will be as close to perfect as one could imagine. Wish I could afford to step up to the plate. Pretty Book. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. Either book would be a smart buy.