• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Flipping more Moral than Collecting?

191 posts in this topic

For the record I want Dover and Tupenny to argue at my funeral. I love these guys.

will there be wine?

Let us know when this is going down. I wanna pencil it in now.

Cash bar?

If I'm there, dead or alive, you can bet there will be booze. Free booze and lots of it.

:grin:

Who gets your comics?

For the record I want Dover and Tupenny to argue at my funeral. I love these guys.

will there be wine?

Cash bar?

If I'm there, dead or alive, you can bet there will be booze. Free booze and lots of it.

Who gets your comics?

Depends on who doesn't go with me.

hm

will there be wine?

Cash bar?

I am not free.

from the Stanford Encyclopedia (whatever that is)

"The term “morality” can be used either

descriptively to refer to a code of conduct put forward by a society or,

some other group, such as a religion, or

accepted by an individual for her own behavior or

normatively to refer to a code of conduct that, given specified conditions, would be put forward by all rational persons"

we here passing judgement, in the form of morality, on flippers, collectors, pressers and perhaps Darwin himself, by defenition, have just formed a society. We have developed a given set of conditions unto which we all live on this board, though we may fight among ourselves, we have a bond beyond all others. We are a group.

We should now go forth and attack the evil society that is Facebook. :sumo:

Couple of dealer's in Baltimore this year were overheard asking each other if restoring a book & then sending it in to CGC without disclosure of the work were unethical.

It was said by a third party that such an act would only be unethical to the extent that the two dealers know a group of folks who would ID it as such.

in my former profession, I did things all the time to circumvent a body of rules and regulations. When I got caught I was called a cheater and punished accordingly; when I did not get caught, no one said a word. But what I learned was that if someone would make a rule and offer to regulate it and pass judgement upon it; then when I presented my work if they passed it along then I was legal.

Conversely: when I go home tonight, I will exceed the posted speed limit. If I do not get caught then I will have escaped the rules of the law. I still broke the law, I just did not get caught. I will reap the benefits of saving time while paying no tithe to the system, for now.

What does any of this mean? My moral compass is within and it is the only one I have to live with. My race in life is run against no one but myself. No playing field (CGC, NFL, NBA, SEC, FDA, you name it) is perfect or without some form of bias; we seek what we feel most comfortable with and fight against what we do not. It has happened for thousands of years and will surely continue to happen after. CGC? Pressing? Flipping? Pay? Food? Education? In many strange ways, these boards, these discussions, kidding aside, are just micocosms of a greater larger life struggle.

If we stopped asking what was right and wrong then how would we know when we found it?

Solipsist

that would mean more to me if I believed you existed.....

So is the cocaine business...

It sure is!

With regard to cocaine, I bet it is tougher to seperate one's personal collection from the portion that was intended to be flipped. I'm not sure what the equivalent of "pressing" is in the cocaine business.

Cutting it with benzocaine, lidocaine, meth, b12, etc...

Much like with high grade comics, you should assume impurity when purchasing. But unlike pressing, excessive cutting is detectable. OW coke is as undesireable as OW pages.

will there be wine?

Cash bar?

Who gets your comics?

Depends on who doesn't go with me.

hm

that is a fascinating and yet subtle statement.....

from the Stanford Encyclopedia (whatever that is)

"The term “morality” can be used either

descriptively to refer to a code of conduct put forward by a society or,

some other group, such as a religion, or

accepted by an individual for her own behavior or

normatively to refer to a code of conduct that, given specified conditions, would be put forward by all rational persons"

we here passing judgement, in the form of morality, on flippers, collectors, pressers and perhaps Darwin himself, by defenition, have just formed a society. We have developed a given set of conditions unto which we all live on this board, though we may fight among ourselves, we have a bond beyond all others. We are a group.

We should now go forth and attack the evil society that is Facebook. :sumo:

Couple of dealer's in Baltimore this year were overheard asking each other if restoring a book & then sending it in to CGC without disclosure of the work were unethical.

It was said by a third party that such an act would only be unethical to the extent that the two dealers know a group of folks who would ID it as such.

in my former profession, I did things all the time to circumvent a body of rules and regulations. When I got caught I was called a cheater and punished accordingly; when I did not get caught, no one said a word. But what I learned was that if someone would make a rule and offer to regulate it and pass judgement upon it; then when I presented my work if they passed it along then I was legal.

Conversely: when I go home tonight, I will exceed the posted speed limit. If I do not get caught then I will have escaped the rules of the law. I still broke the law, I just did not get caught. I will reap the benefits of saving time while paying no tithe to the system, for now.

What does any of this mean? My moral compass is within and it is the only one I have to live with. My race in life is run against no one but myself. No playing field (CGC, NFL, NBA, SEC, FDA, you name it) is perfect or without some form of bias; we seek what we feel most comfortable with and fight against what we do not. It has happened for thousands of years and will surely continue to happen after. CGC? Pressing? Flipping? Pay? Food? Education? In many strange ways, these boards, these discussions, kidding aside, are just micocosms of a greater larger life struggle.

If we stopped asking what was right and wrong then how would we know when we found it?

Solipsist

that would mean more to me if I believed you existed.....

:roflmao::luhv:

I essentially play Bob Newhart to many of the crazed individuals on the boards. For lunch, I am sent PMs that are a giant "problem sandwich".

This is one of the latest issues that came up in my psycho ward:

"Dude, I bought these two books from *dealer name removed* for personal satisfaction not for resale. That is the disgusting sin of it all. I took $200 worth of grocery money away from my children & converted it into useless, worthless dunnage that no soul shall ever see again until I am dead."

Another comment:

"Yesterday, I put down a chicken ceasar wrap and spent the money on a toy..."

Throughout the years there have been many threads on the ethics of "flipping". However, is flipping more moral than collecting? It is clear that "collecting" is driving some to the brink.

I prefer cartwheels or roundoffs to flipping. :shrug: Thanks for askin' tho.

i would not call flipping immoral, but saying that collecting is somehow less moral is crazy. morality shouldn't even come into it unless you are robbing comic stores to fill your runs. (or pressing :grin:). i think either way is perfectly fine. i buy my books to read and keep. sometimes when i find out one has shot up in value i am tempted to sell it, but i usually don't. i'm keeping my tmnt collection vol.1 even though i see them sell on ebay for 4x what i paid just a few months ago. if i did sell it though, i wouldn't be hurting anybody :)

So is the cocaine business...

It sure is!

With regard to cocaine, I bet it is tougher to seperate one's personal collection from the portion that was intended to be flipped. I'm not sure what the equivalent of "pressing" is in the cocaine business.

Depends on how strict the analogy must be.

You can cut the yayo, increasing your profits with the same initial product. Similar to pressing, you can increase the profit using the same initial book.

BUT....pressing neither adds or takes away anything. So, using that definition, it is not analogous (sp?) to cutting.

And there, folks, is your "street lesson" for the day.

The issues from pyscho boardies and how to maximize "flippage" keep rolling in:

"Maybe aroma therapy is the next step to further enhance a book? Can the addition of sweet and attractive scents do for comics, what the addition of nutmeg, Mrs. Dash and Adobe did for the cocaine industry? A 9.8 issue of Sin City that smells like Jessica Alba is certainly going to be more desirable than one that doesn't. It's just common sense."

King, I have a concern that you.......have left the building. :(

:foryou:

:frustrated: of course the written text will soon be blowing in the wind, long gone like little Jackie Paper (ironic?)

:cloud9:

Oh, Puff the Magic Dragon...lived by the sea...and frolicked in the autumn mist...in a land called Hanah-Lee!

I love PP&M. Rest in peace, Mary....

Oh Stephen, you make my heart melt when you throw around a word like "dunnage" so blithely and yet perfectly.

Don't ever change

He was quoting a PM. Oh Sal, who could have been the author of that PM?