• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Soon to be another record breaking SA comic

42 posts in this topic

So there was never a recorded 9.4 sale prior to the $118k sale mentioned by Pedigree?

There were, but like most SA 9.4 Marvel keys they happened years ago and they went for less than 1/2 of what they are going for now.

When I got back into comics in the early 2000's most of these key books would run you in the low $10,000's. Now they run you $30K plus which is nearly what 9.4 books were selling for back then.

worth every penny. Should get to 120K

If so X-men #1 and JIM #83 are worth more.

:makepoint:

didnt the Mound City 9.4 just sell for 101K? WE HAVE TO GUESs what a JIM would sell for, but the XMen sale is current enough to stand for its value today.

Eventhough we collectors know JIM is scarcer than TOS, with Iron Man a certifiable film franchise now and Thor just a potential hit release someday - - Id say TOS 39 sells for more.

didnt the Mound City 9.4 just sell for 101K? WE HAVE TO GUESs what a JIM would sell for, but the XMen sale is current enough to stand for its value today.

Eventhough we collectors know JIM is scarcer than TOS, with Iron Man a certifiable film franchise now and Thor just a potential hit release someday - - Id say TOS 39 sells for more.

I'm quite sure the Mound X-men #1 would sell for more with better exposure. Not that MCA didn't do a great job with advertisement but after $100K, the pool thins considerably.

I'd argue and say that if an X-men #1 sold on Comiclink or Pedigree that it would easily break $120K. It's just a way hotter book among collectors than any Iron Man issue.

maybe. but weren't all you guys with the fat wallets and the comics smarts right there to buy it? And the rest of us had heard about the auction. How many other 100K comics collectors do you think there are that DIDNT know about the Mound City auction?

If you subscribe to the Hollywood and Japanese money school, sure, greater publicity from Comiclink or Heritage would have gotten more dough. But I dont think there are any spontaneous "gee, comics are cool and a great hedge for my portfolio" buyers around, and I believe these books sell only to collectors with the means and desire and ready to step up into the big leagues of the hobby.

I mean, you ended up with it for a collector right by outbidding other collectors.

I mean, you ended up with it for a collector right by outbidding other collectors.

I did, and at the expense of sounding biased, which I'm trying not to be, if 8.5-9.2 prices and recent conversations that I've had are a barometer I believe the book may have sold for higher.

I've always followed X-men #1 closely as I was an X-men collector myself and it's always more expensive in any grade than both JIM and TOS.

It's not all just movie hype. No one spends $100K on a book just because it's already a successful movie. It's a combination of demand (part of which is driven by movie success) and supply (number of HG copies out there). Hulk 1 in 9.4 is without question more valuable than any other book other than AF 15 and (arguably) FF 1 not because the movies were so successful but because of its extreme scarcity. I don't think the value of FF 1 would really be that different whether or not the FF movies had ever come out (and in fact they were not overwhelming successes on the scale of Spidey, X-Men or Iron Man.

In the value chain, here's where I rank the Marvel major keys:

AF 15

FF 1

Hulk 1 (although arguably FF1 and Hulk 1 could swap places)

JIM 83

X-Men 1

TOS 39

Avengers 1

TTA 27

DD 1

ST 110

Avengers 4

thats kind of what Im saying... Traditionally, it was XMen, then JIM then TOS. XMen was a hotter title and XMen 1 a better book. Then XMen movies cemented them as cream of the crop characters.

Well, now Iron Man is a hit, and XMen movies (after Wolverine) feel like a tired franchise. Still a killer book! But Iron Man has more momentum than it ever had,

anyway, all three are good books! And you rarely get a chance to get a 9.4. So who knows?

It's not all just movie hype. No one spends $100K on a book just because it's already a successful movie. It's a combination of demand (part of which is driven by movie success) and supply (number of HG copies out there). Hulk 1 in 9.4 is without question more valuable than any other book other than AF 15 and (arguably) FF 1 not because the movies were so successful but because of its extreme scarcity. I don't think the value of FF 1 would really be that different whether or not the FF movies had ever come out (and in fact they were not overwhelming successes on the scale of Spidey, X-Men or Iron Man.

In the value chain, here's where I rank the Marvel major keys:

AF 15

FF 1

JIM 83

X-Men 1

TOS 39

Avengers 1

TTA 27

DD 1

ST 110

Avengers 4

Im not trying to speak like a newbie when I place so much emphasis on the movies. I know teh values of each of these books in relation to the others and agree with your list. Im only saying that the movie success is the wind of confidence at your back when spending 100K on a comic. You are not relying solely on a "comic geeky" love of a book. We all have our faves ut we know whether we are alone or not, and we know (we think) how easy it will be to sell when the time comes, and movie awareness helps and is a factor.

to me anyway. Its al; part of the emotional equation that allows you to bid /pay 100K on a funnybook.

AF 15

FF 1

JIM 83

X-Men 1

TOS 39

Avengers 1

TTA 27

DD 1

ST 110

Avengers 4

I agree with everything you've said except that even though JIM #83 is a much tougher book, X-men have been insanely popular for decades. A very long and loyal following, and that might be enough to give it the edge even though supply is much greater.