• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Soon to be another record breaking SA comic

42 posts in this topic

btw, I see the books in groupings right now

Spidey on top, then Hulk and FF battling it out, then the other three we are discussing:

AF15

FF1

Hulk 1

TOS 39

XMen 1

JIM 83

from here on out, its less pronounced...

Avengers 1

TTA 27

Avengers 4

DD1

ST 101

the crazy thing this copy has at least one spine crease or ding, tape covering the cracks on the case and the right edge looks yellow towards the middle of the book. Also the bottom left corner has slight wear. I'm sure who ever buys this book will either break it out and keep it raw or resub, if so..they could possibly end up with a 9.2

A shame about DD #1. A terrific character and a great read.

Yeah, I do not understand. For me, he was always way ahead of Cap, Thor, and Iron Man. He has had some monster story runs in his book since the 80s that you would have thought made his silver age stuff popular. But for whatever reason, most people think Daredevil starts with issue 158 collecting wise.

the crazy thing this copy has at least one spine crease or ding, tape covering the cracks on the case and the right edge looks yellow towards the middle of the book. Also the bottom left corner has slight wear. I'm sure who ever buys this book will either break it out and keep it raw or resub, if so..they could possibly end up with a 9.2

well, I would say that I don't know of anyone that breaks out a $100K book and keeps raw (not that it couldn't happen, but chances are slim to none, I would guess)...

not sure about resub potential (likely already potentialized, if you catch my drift) so I suspect the book will never be removed from that holder (IMO) (thumbs u

It's a 9.4, not a 9.8, so aren't all those things permitted in grade? Crease, shadow, slight wear on one corner?

AF 15

FF 1

Hulk 1 (although arguably FF1 and Hulk 1 could swap places)

JIM 83

X-Men 1

TOS 39

Avengers 1

TTA 27

DD 1

ST 110

Avengers 4

I agree with everything you've said except that even though JIM #83 is a much tougher book, X-men have been insanely popular for decades. A very long and loyal following, and that might be enough to give it the edge even though supply is much greater.

If MC had had a 9.4 JIM 83, I can almost guarantee you that it would`ve sold for more than the X-Men 1.

Basically, I think most experienced collectors would know that they will likely get another shot at a 9.4 or better X-Men 1, so they might not go nuts bidding on one. But maybe they wouldn`t be so confident about a 9.4 JIM 83, so they`d have to give it their best shot. That`s the sole reason why I think a 9.4 Hulk 1 might hit incomprehensible levels, because some serious collectors would be throwing everything they`ve got knowing it might be their last chance ever.

Avengers 1

TTA 27

Avengers 4

DD1

ST 101

I think with the recent sales, Avengers 1 has really broken out of the pack. Deservedly so, actually, because it`s a surprisingly difficult book in NM.

I just don`t think TTA 27 has held up because it doesn`t really seem to be on most major Marvel collectors` high priority list. DD 1 has been weighed down by the relative abundance of NM copies (and the stigma of a bad movie). Avengers 4 would be worth a lot more but is weighed down by its abundance in NM.

You rank ST 101 higher than ST 110?

Avengers 1

TTA 27

Avengers 4

DD1

ST 101

I think with the recent sales, Avengers 1 has really broken out of the pack. Deservedly so, actually, because it`s a surprisingly difficult book in NM.

I just don`t think TTA 27 has held up because it doesn`t really seem to be on most major Marvel collectors` high priority list. DD 1 has been weighed down by the relative abundance of NM copies (and the stigma of a bad movie). Avengers 4 would be worth a lot more but is weighed down by its abundance in NM.

You rank ST 101 higher than ST 110?

haha. I was thinking while I typed that poor 101 which used to be a Marvel key is just so far out of the equation now, so I must have typed it wrong.

I actually rank TTA27 pretty high because of the same argument you guys have been making: Its super tough in grade. But also because that AntMan movie will make or break the book for good! IMO its in a limbo state where it breaks out big, or slips into "Man in the Beehive" status for good

Movie success is definitely part of the modern equation. Always has been as witness Supes and Bats ever present media status... Cant deny it. And I am NOT saying it prompts movie lovers to buy a copy. Just builds desire and sand in those of us willing to make the leap at these prices.

It's a 9.4, not a 9.8, so aren't all those things permitted in grade? Crease, shadow, slight wear on one corner?

Yea that's consistent with many CGC 9.4s I've seen in the past.

Where is the tape on the slab?

well, I would say that I don't know of anyone that breaks out a $100K book and keeps raw (not that it couldn't happen, but chances are slim to none, I would guess)...

not sure about resub potential (likely already potentialized, if you catch my drift) so I suspect the book will never be removed from that holder (IMO) (thumbs u

but the case is cracked with a strip of scotch tape running down the side, sorry but I need this in a fresh new case. :)

probably but never seen a 9.4 with a color break crease on the spine.

It's on the left edge of the slab, I'm guessing it's there because of the small cracks. (shrug)

It's on the left edge of the slab, I'm guessing it's there because of the small cracks. (shrug)

I don't see it.

In any case, the book is in such high demand and a 9.4 is rare enough where any defect in the case only is probably not going to make any difference at all.

I've seen a 9.6 with one

I've seen a 9.6 with one

I've seen/owned multiple 9.8s with color breaking spine creases.

but the case is cracked with a strip of scotch tape running down the side, sorry but I need this in a fresh new case. :)

scotch tape?? are you looking at the inner well? never seen a 9.4 with a spine ding?? are you serious? bizarre.

I've seen a 9.6 with one

I've seen/owned multiple 9.8s with color breaking spine creases.

Ditto. Since when is a 9.4 a perfect book, y'all?