• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sgt. Rock movie...goes to the future?

29 posts in this topic

doh!

ICv2

A Warner Bros. feature film based on DC’s Sgt. Rock is taking a new turn, according to the Hollywood Reporter. Producer Joel Silver has brought in Francis Lawrence (I Am Legend, Constantine) as director, and Chad St. John is writing a new -script (the most recent of many, see for example, “Sgt. Rock Gets Writer”).

The film is going to be set in the future to take the character out of the period milieu where Rock has spent most of his time and bring it into a setting more popular with moviegoers, according to the report.

doh!

doh!

ICv2

A Warner Bros. feature film based on DC’s Sgt. Rock is taking a new turn, according to the Hollywood Reporter. Producer Joel Silver has brought in Francis Lawrence (I Am Legend, Constantine) as director, and Chad St. John is writing a new -script (the most recent of many, see for example, “Sgt. Rock Gets Writer”).

The film is going to be set in the future to take the character out of the period milieu where Rock has spent most of his time and bring it into a setting more popular with moviegoers, according to the report.

doh!

I smell box office bomb :sick:

Since when is WWII not a popular era? There have been thousands of movies made about WWII

All I can say is, seeing Robert Downey Jr. in a pinstripe suit, hands out crucifix victory style over an Afghan theatre as bombs light up the entire background was pretty durn cool, and I can't conceive that anything that they could have done in Vietnam would have been as timely or as vibrant.

sometimes, updating a work is a good thing.

You can`t blame it on the young generation as millions of young adults have made the Call of Duty and Medal of Honor videogame series gigantic hits. it must be that late 1970`s to early 1990`s generation that I alluded to in another post who have no interest in the WW II era. that generation controls Hollywood right now. :sick:

All I can say is, seeing Robert Downey Jr. in a pinstripe suit, hands out crucifix victory style over an Afghan theatre as bombs light up the entire background was pretty durn cool, and I can't conceive that anything that they could have done in Vietnam would have been as timely or as vibrant.

I'm not sure that analogy works though. It's true that Vietnam is an integral part of Tony Stark becoming Iron Man, but quickly IM moves beyond that.

Rock's history is firmly and totally entrenched in WW 2.

I'm not sure that analogy works though. It's true that Vietnam is an integral part of Tony Stark becoming Iron Man, but quickly IM moves beyond that.

Rock's history is firmly and totally entrenched in WW 2.

Was going to say essentially the same thing.

Stark/IM is identified with heroic deeds in America despite his SE Asia origin story and despite the recent update to his origin he's a super hero that fights super-villains not the Vietnamese.

Rock has always been identified with the WW2 and fighting the Nazis. Rock and Easy company fighting the German army across Europe. That is what is the prominent image when thinking of Rock.

To take that away and put it in the future, whether they mean 'future of Rock = today' or 'future = lasers and whatnot' takes the man out of the myth.

To put him into any setting other than WW2 is really just making a war movie with a guy named Rock. And it'll probably turn out to be a cheesy nickname or the like.

If Rock in the future means post-WWII, I wouldn't mind seeing him in modern-day Iraq or Afghanistan. But Rock really does belong in WWII Europe. Or maybe North Africa to get a better Iraq or Afghanistan connection.

They will take Rock into the future to a time where futuristic zombie Nazi's control the world!

Together with his robot sidekick Bleep, they kick some zombie *Spoon* .

Each movie pass comes with a coupon to buy the video game.

Don't miss out!

:P

They will take Rock into the future to a time where futuristic zombie Nazi's control the world!

Together with his robot sidekick Bleep, they kick some zombie *Spoon* .

Each movie pass comes with a coupon to buy the video game.

Don't miss out!

:P

No no, that's the Wolfenstein franchise...

And they're smart enough to leave those in WW2.

I can see an elder Clint as a model for Rock. The aging warrior, smarter than teh kids, called on to save their sorry butts after they wrote him off. And Rock gets to rue the good and bad times of WWII era.

gee, sounds a lot like the Cap storyline! The "future" doesnt have to be the Judge Dredd future. They wouldnt try that! too expensive too!.

You can`t blame it on the young generation as millions of young adults have made the Call of Duty and Medal of Honor videogame series gigantic hits. it must be that late 1970`s to early 1990`s generation that I alluded to in another post who have no interest in the WW II era. that generation controls Hollywood right now. :sick:

I'm part of that generation, and I'm very interested in WW2 (see sig line).

No, this could be a great move. They will hire the dude that played Morpheus in the Matrix, give him a eye patch, and have him make a guest appearance in the GL flick as the head of a secret government organization...............and copy what Marvel did with Nick Fury! lol