• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

E-bay blackmail

139 posts in this topic

I disagree with the "lynch mob mentality" accusation. If you want to be a contrarian (sp?) for the sake of being one, that's fine, but just because a majority of us agree doesn't make us a lynch mob. It means that we agree.

I always give a buyer feedback when I receive the payment. Their end of the transaction has been satisfied. I do not hold out to see what the buyer gives me. That is not how feedback is supposed to work, and is the reason feedback is mostly unhelpful in determining if a seller is legit or not. The fear (and fact) of retaliation undermines the feedback system. That's my personal feedback sign-rantpost.gif

I agree with this and always leave positive feedback as soon as I receive payment, even if it is a month late. I cannot stand sellers that wait until I (as a buyer) leaves a positive first. Sure, some of you sellers that do wait hold out your buyer's feedback until they leave it first. Very wrong in my opinion. The buyer finishes his part of the deal first, the seller second. Alot of guys pay late these days, maybe a week or two, maybe something came up and they just could not get payment out as fast as they thought they could, maybe in this situation the buyer thinks he may get a neg, or neutral even though he paid finally. This happens alot. So, then you have a situation where both the buyer and the seller are waiting for the other guy to leave feedback first, as an example.

Personally, I always try to give the best service possible and want all my customers to be happy. If they have a problem, within reason, I fix it, and sometimes have I to eat it.

Therefore, I am not in fear of ever receiving a negative, and never have as a seller (only twice as a buyer out of retaliation from sellers that held out on their feedback, very unfair). Even if I did receive a neg as a seller then OK. I would leave a brief follow up to explain that the buyer did not give me the chance to fix it or whatever.

For those sellers that wait on feedback. I have to say that this is a very unprofessional business tactic and leaves a bad taste in my mouth for that dealer. -------Sid

I use to think the same way, but after some buyers attempted blackmail with neg feedback I changed my mind. The transaction isn't over and feedback shouldn't be left until the buyer receives the item and is satisfied. A seller who leaves positive feedback before a transaction is completed is just asking for trouble IMHO.

As to the situation at hand, I don't understand why the buyer doesn't send comic back for full refund. In this case the seller has already left positive feedback and the buyer has yet to leave feedback and can neg if money isn't refunded. Then again he can also neg if he is just an a-hole even when money is refunded. Good example as to why CGC is necessary. Seller shouldn't have advertised a VF- comic as unread even if true. Maybe the Seller should offer full refund INCLUDING SHIPPING because of that error.

In what way? This thread was started to get our opinions, so what's the big deal about providing a link to the auction?

Aren't we COY!!! You posted a link to the auction about 2-3 days ago, and then shortly thereafter, you deleted it. Just say what it is you want to say...

Phantom,

confused-smiley-013.gif

What's your motive?

The bottom line is that you offered a refund. Grading is subjective; no matter how ANYONE including CGC tries to make it objective, which we should try to do. People will always differ on grading - even CGC has 3 graders who when I inquire about the grades given on a particular book almost never agree with each other.

If you don't want to give him a partial refund you shouldn't and he should respect that; maybe not like it but respect it. You offered more than most people would.

I give refunds on grading disagreements minus the postage and ebay fees as well. (Sorry, but I'm not going to pay you to look at my books.) Everyone is entitled to their opinion but not to demand (ask maybe but not demand) that you reduce the price.

I never leave feedback for a buyer until I have received feedback from them; that way I know they are satisfied with their purchase.

When it comes to leaving feedback (from a seller's POV), I try to be smart but fair:

1) Did they pay the correct amount in a timely fashion- with enough info that I don't have to search for what payment is for? Yes, onward...

2) I check their ID/FB info; How long have they been an ebay member? Couple that with amount of feed given vs received.

3) Neg History: any red ? If so, how much (both flat numbers AND %). Was it justified? How did he respond to negs?

This all sounds like more work than it is. Doesn't take me more than a minute, on average, to make my determination.

In general though, buyer should receive feedback 1st since, simply, the buyer has held up his end of the bargain 1st. It's one thing for the seller to be cautious & protective of his rep (read:feedback), but I'm confident enough in my business practice/ethics to leave a Positive 1st and, hopefully, receiving one in kind.

If someone tries this "I'll neg you if" bull-puckey, I send them a link to the proper FB page. Take it & move on.

Rick

OK, I understand the feedback thing from all sides. But many buyers wait until the seller leaves feedback first. That is why so many people never leave feedback, 'cuz they are each waiting for the other guy to first. So, what if the buyer is unhappy? Why would that mean he is any less deserving of a positive, assuming he paid on time?

Question. OK, if a buyer pays ASAP with PayPal, seller ships out item, buyer receives it and feels it has been described inaccurately but does not want to hassle with a return, and then leaves a negative or neutral for the seller. Then what do you sellers that wait on feedback leave him? Because he was unhappy with what he received does he not still deserve that positive? If not, then he is screwed twice. First an item he is not happy with, then a neg or a neutral. Just one example, but I am sure this is common. -----Sid

To comment from the other side of the fence:

As a buyer, I NEVER leave feedback for the seller 1st (unless it's repeat business).

If the seller dosn't respect me enough (paying on time with no hassles) to "praise" me, then he certainly doesn't deserve any feedback from me.

I also see this is a cowardly position. And I don't reward cowards.

Rick

I disagree with the "lynch mob mentality" accusation. If you want to be a contrarian (sp?) for the sake of being one, that's fine, but just because a majority of us agree doesn't make us a lynch mob. It means that we agree.

Oh, and for this comment. Nothing wrong with almost everyone agreeing. Heck, I agree with most of what you guys are saying too, from what we have heard from this one side. All I am saying is don't be too quick to pass judgment from just hearing that one side. Why can't so many people see this? If you guys were to be summoned to jury duty, would you make up your mind after hearing just one side, JUST the prosecution, or JUST the defense? EXACT same thing here guys. EXACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-----Sid

P.S. Think back to when YOU were in a dispute with someone. Think about what the other guy was telling people about YOU and your problem. How would you like those other people to pass judgment on you before hearing your side of things. Geez, no naive it is annoying.

Geez, no naive it is annoying.

I meant to say "so naive"

I have one more thing to say on this topic and then I will move on and let you guys hang the buyer in this little deal. Sorry, but lack of fairness is a pet peeve of mine.

Anyway, the important thing to remember when anyone is stating their case in some kind of dispute is that they will always skew the facts, opinions and assumptions in a way that benefits themselves. Sometimes without even realizing it. We don't know what Rocket has left out, added, or changed from either side of their communications. Sure, we know Rocket a little and not the other guy at all, but don't be biased. Don't let yourself be. If this was something more serious, like a woman accusing a guy of rape, or someone being charged with child molestation, or of insider trading, or of embezzeling millions by a big wig CEO, I just HOPE that you would give equal time to both sides. If not, we are surely in trouble. ----'nuff said, Sid

sid; i must be missing something here.

rocket asked for opinions on what was happening. he shared the e-mails that seem to pretty much define the situation. he did a pretty decent job of grading the book (IMO). the buyer disagreed because he apparently took exception to rocket using the "unread" phrase while there was a small "readers" crease.

then the buyer begins his diatribe by insisting that things get done his way ie., gimme a partial refund - i'm the BSB and it's gotta be my way. rocket said no, he'd issue a full refund as is his policy. buyer wasn't having any of it. rocket shared one of the buyers sales with us where he was apparently being disingenuous with his prospective clientele, because all of a sudden he knows nothing about grading. this part really bothers me!!

there's nothing left to be said - IMO i've heard both sides of the argument and know niether man. rocket is right in sticking to his guns and the buyer should take advantage of an honest seller who may have made a slight grading error (it's E-bay for crissakes) and take his refund. he doesn't get to call the shots and he has a bad frickin attitude.

i don't know what else there really could be out there that matters here. about time for this one to end. good luck rocket 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

so sid, if i win the GS spidey 4 from you today, and say i feel the book was overgraded by CGC.......would you give me a partial refund? shocked.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gifforeheadslap.gif

I thought I was done here, tried to get away but must respond, must respond... MUST RESPOND.

Well the whole point about CGC is so that we can avoid such things, so no, I would not give a partial refund on a CGC book based on grade because I am hoping that we both respect that CGC knows more than us about grading and we have to take their word for it (for the most part, although they can make mistakes). However, on a raw book I may very well give a partial refund if the buyer is reasonable and points out how I made a mistake. That does not mean I think others sellers should do the same as me though. AND, if I did misrepresent a CGC book in some way then I think a partial refund may be in order, but not for a disagreement on the grade. For example, I also have an Uncanny X-Men #94 listed right now in 7.0. I believe that it would have been higher but it has some of the excess distributor ink on the back which most likely brought down the grade alittle. I scanned the back of this book and pointed it out specifically because that is something that I think the buyer should know, regardless of the actual grade. If I did not point that out, and a buyer bought the book assuming it was a "clean 7.0" then yes, I would give a reasonable partial refund if that would make him happy with the book.

And for Burntboy's comments. Actually, for the most part I agree with you. My comments about hearing both sides really are not so much pointed at this situation specifically but moreso in general. Where we often hear just one side and pass judgment before hearing the other. Many threads here are based on a complaint that someone has with another. Most of the time I see the herd running to that guy's defense (including one or two of my own threads) before hearing both sides. I just hope no one ever makes a complaint here about me without my knowing it. Because if someone does, I'll be toast. -------Sid

dunno, confused-smiley-013.gif i never had a raw book returned before until last week......and yes it is for a FULL refund when i pick it up from the PO. laugh.gif

Why pimpy was the book restored? 27_laughing.gif

no, buyer did not agree with the grade given, which he has every right to. hi.gif

dunno, confused-smiley-013.gif i never had a raw book returned before until last week......and yes it is for a FULL refund when i pick it up from the PO. laugh.gif

no, buyer did not agree with the grade given, which he has every right to. hi.gif

you have no sense of humour anymore. sorry.gif

you have no sense of humour anymore. sorry.gif

27_laughing.gif better?