• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signature Series and health of high end grails

136 posts in this topic

I love the CGC SS program for those nifty blank sketch covers that have been comng out past few years. I like that you can mix and match media signatures with indusrty artists and writers on moderns.

Some of my favorite type books are a Fallen Son blank, worked on by M Wolfe in full color inks and markers, and signed by B Wrightson. Or A Serenity modern signed by River (Summer Glau) along with Joss Whedon, as well as cover artist. I have a Fallen Son that is the most ridiculously detailed full color Hellboy, signed by artist, as well as movie director and Hellboy actors etc that to me is a gem of a book.

BUT:

I have a problem with high end vintage books, as in AF 15, or Hulk 1, or ASM 129, or all the pedigree golden age etc that are getting marked up by bleed thru markers. This to me is not the point, or the direction that CGC SS program should be going. It just strikes me as destructive, and this is coming from someone who loves the program for the 50 different kinds of modern blanks that have come out.

Would you be for CGC SS setting up parameters that no pre 1990 book could be yellow labeled under program, which would overnight halt the destruction of the high end vintage gems taking place?

Would you be for CGC SS setting up parameters that no pre 1990 book could be yellow labeled under program, which would overnight halt the destruction of the high end vintage gems taking place?

Sounds like an Anti signatory type person

No where did I even suggest people should be outlawed from doing whatever they want to their books. Question was about CGC SS program setting parameters that would only accept post 1990 books for yellow label.

HELL NO.

But I'd like to see that Hellboy you mentioned. :popcorn:

I consider both of these books as enhanced by the signature:

th_AmazingFantasy15.jpgth_FantasticFour1.jpg

Personally, I'm all for getting low-mid grade key books signed by the appropriate creator. I wouldn't get a high-grade (and certainly not top census) Silver Age or older key signed, though. Bronze and onward is fine.

Of course, that's just my opinion and people are free to do with their books what they want.

Besides, putting rules like that in place makes the CGC take a step back in the impartiality department.

HELL NO.

But I'd like to see that Hellboy you mentioned. :popcorn:

:gossip: It's in the CGC gallery

No where did I even suggest people should be outlawed from doing whatever they want to their books. Question was about CGC SS program setting parameters that would only accept post 1990 books for yellow label.

You just contradicted yourself. If people should be able to do what they want with their books, why would you suggest a measure from CGC that would disallow that?

Not sure why this isn't the Same thing. Your question was posed in the context of limiting what a owner can have done to a comic. And I was just giving a for instance. You are suggesting LIMITS as to what a owner can submit for SS and I wholeheartedly oppose any such limits. If I pay six figures for a comic, say a Cap 1, and I want Joe Simon to sign it and have it encapsulated, should I not be able to do so. I'm going to say no...

I don't think CGC can or should impose a limit but I do think that SS is defacement for many people and it will create a scarcity for those people who are only interested in blue label books.

I thought about getting my Cap #3 signed by Simon and Lee but just could not get myself to do it.

I personally don't own any yellow label books and probably never will.