• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signature Series and health of high end grails

136 posts in this topic

a lot of sig series haters around here

Really, like who? I do see a number of people who misunderstand (deliberately?).

There are and always have been. It becomes sad at some point, but all of us that witness or buy/sell know our market and realize that for every negative point (and I personally believe lately there have been a lot of threads/posts aimed at SS) we have a lot more who are excited about the program and the future.

And let's be realistic for a moment. Would CGC ever consider cutting it back to 1990 and newer. No, end of debate. Where does the income then come in for CGC is they allienate part of their market they have helped to grow?

I understand that people have been saying that they don't like the fact that this book or that book has now been signed, or that too many Hulk issues have been signed etc etc. But as already stated, they are the owner's books and I sure the person who benefited from selling them is probably more than happy with the cash in their pocket and the person who now has a signed book is happy too.

Every sale helps out the hobby in some way. Always think about where that money is going and typically it is going to an LCS, or private collector or dealer, who will revinvest it into more books. A pretty good cycle and SS is part of that cycle.

I don't think CGC can or should impose a limit but I do think that SS is defacement for many people and it will create a scarcity for those people who are only interested in blue label books.

I thought about getting my Cap #3 signed by Simon and Lee but just could not get myself to do it.

I personally don't own any yellow label books and probably never will.

Yeah F the Yellow Label. Blue and Red are where it's at!

I'm not a big fan of autographs to be honest. But if you want them then that's your business. If I were an autograph nut I would want them to sign somewhere that the story was not altered by bleed through.

For instance, I would like to own a copy of AF 15...there's no way I would actively seek out Stan Lee to sign it. I also wouldn't want to buy one already signed by him because it's expected to fetch a premium.

a lot of sig series haters around here

Really, like who? I do see a number of people who misunderstand (deliberately?).

There are and always have been. It becomes sad at some point, but all of us that witness or buy/sell know our market and realize that for every negative point (and I personally believe lately there have been a lot of threads/posts aimed at SS) we have a lot more who are excited about the program and the future.

And let's be realistic for a moment. Would CGC ever consider cutting it back to 1990 and newer. No, end of debate. Where does the income then come in for CGC is they allienate part of their market they have helped to grow?

I understand that people have been saying that they don't like the fact that this book or that book has now been signed, or that too many Hulk issues have been signed etc etc. But as already stated, they are the owner's books and I sure the person who benefited from selling them is probably more than happy with the cash in their pocket and the person who now has a signed book is happy too.

Every sale helps out the hobby in some way. Always think about where that money is going and typically it is going to an LCS, or private collector or dealer, who will revinvest it into more books. A pretty good cycle and SS is part of that cycle.

Lord knows you get enough of my money to reinvest, JJ

SS books suck.

WOOO-Sahhhh

Would you be for CGC SS setting up parameters that no pre 1990 book could be yellow labeled under program, which would overnight halt the destruction of the high end vintage gems taking place?

YES!!! I hate seeing how many nice old high end books have been destoryed with doodles and signatures. I have never owned a yellow label and can't imagine that I ever will.

No - there should be no limits. That is why it is unique to have an artist(s) sign or draw on it. It is not destroying the book like a trimmed copy or something like this.

I had my Captain America Comics #1, 3/1941 signed by Joe Simon. One of a kind book. He will not live forever and people may have wished they could have had a Bob Kane or a Mr. S for Superman sign a GRAIL.

I'd be opposed. Having CGC set up limits on what they will accept for their SS label won't discourage people from getting their books signed. The OP doesn't like sigs on older books and proposes this measure to curb it but in actuality what it does is increase the number of unverified sigs on older books. I don't see why people place higher value on a copy of someone's work than an original signature/sketch on said copy

I'd hate it to know I couldn't get a verified sig on some of my lower grade keys.

I love the CGC SS program for those nifty blank sketch covers that have been comng out past few years. I like that you can mix and match media signatures with indusrty artists and writers on moderns.

Some of my favorite type books are a Fallen Son blank, worked on by M Wolfe in full color inks and markers, and signed by B Wrightson. Or A Serenity modern signed by River (Summer Glau) along with Joss Whedon, as well as cover artist. I have a Fallen Son that is the most ridiculously detailed full color Hellboy, signed by artist, as well as movie director and Hellboy actors etc that to me is a gem of a book.

BUT:

I have a problem with high end vintage books, as in AF 15, or Hulk 1, or ASM 129, or all the pedigree golden age etc that are getting marked up by bleed thru markers. This to me is not the point, or the direction that CGC SS program should be going. It just strikes me as destructive, and this is coming from someone who loves the program for the 50 different kinds of modern blanks that have come out.

Would you be for CGC SS setting up parameters that no pre 1990 book could be yellow labeled under program, which would overnight halt the destruction of the high end vintage gems taking place?

I would so NO and I love my Grail AF#15 signed by Stan Lee

89221.jpg.b7fb66c0218e4e33433439cfe1e941dd.jpg

Well. I love the Signature Series, but I only collect moderns with CGC SS.

I would never get a grail signed. But that's just me. I would difinitely NOT get an Action #1 signed. I probably would get an AF #15 signed if it was maybe under a 3.0.

I had a chance back in 1988, to have Stan Lee sign my AF #15 and I declined. I did get him to sign an Iron Man #1, but on the interior. I kind of regret having done that, especially since CGC SS did not exist then.

Some books are just too special to have someone scribble on them or in them, IMO.

But I do enjoy the SS for most books. No harm in getting a New Mutants or G.I. Joe book SS'ed.

I can't imagine letting anyone sign (I don't care WHO IT IS), an Avengers 57 CGC 9.8.

A couple of thoughts. Would an Original Owner qualify as a signer of a CGC SS? Let's say an Edgar Church type person? If BangZoom was an OO, would CGC do SS with him as the signer?

Why is a signature not considered color touch? Many SS have sketches, so could original art be SS'ed with a sketch included on the art?

I understand both sides. It is my book and I will do as I see fit with my book.

But, I would hate to see an Action #1 signed on the cover by George Reeves and Christopher Reeves.

But, I would hate to see an Action #1 signed on the cover by George Reeves and Christopher Reeves.

It would have been cool on a Treasury Edition or the 1988 reprint though. If I had a copy of Cap #1 or Cap #3 and met Joe Simon I would have him sign those and the Cap #3 I would have Stan Lee sign as well. To me having the orginal Artist writer or the book sign it and meet them is the greatest thing in the world . Then again I don't ever plan on selling my Af #15 either or if I had the Caps them either