• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Depressed Comics Thread

56 posts in this topic

as long as they don't have Roy Rogers, Tom Holt, or "name your matinee idol" emblazing the cover...

Jim

:gossip: That's Tim Holt, not Tom.

FWIW, the Tim Holt comics tend to have better than average art. (thumbs u

Might be thinking of tom mix :gossip:

The point is the same though, only you old guys know who either one of them is. :baiting:

hm

That's a low blow ... esp. since you know I ain't old :makepoint:

as long as they don't have Roy Rogers, Tom Holt, or "name your matinee idol" emblazing the cover...

Jim

:gossip: That's Tim Holt, not Tom.

FWIW, the Tim Holt comics tend to have better than average art. (thumbs u

Might be thinking of tom mix :gossip:

The point is the same though, only you old guys know who either one of them is. :baiting:

hm

That's a low blow ... esp. since you know I ain't old :makepoint:

Ill admit it.Im old.In fact I knew dirt when it was just d

No real need to bid agressively. I just purchased an ASM 50 CGC 8.5 OWW for $560 in a no reserve auction. This book peaked in April 2008 at $1,000 and 8 of the 14 sales since Jan/08 have been over $700 (according to GPA).

-----------

seems like crazy money for that book in that condition. $1K is mind boggling.

Atomic Age westerns (many of which have awesome covers)

A good example of a generation of collectors literally dying off. Ask any kid who Roy Rogers is and all they might know is the restaurant. No exposure these days to that genre for any point of reference.

That's why speculating on any comics with a non-Icon actual human is destined to be a losing proposition despite their popularity at one time...

Jim

Well, I was thinking more of titles like Lone Ranger and the Atlas westerns.

I'm not into the western comics based on actual western movie stars, and I don't like photo covers.

A good example of a generation of collectors literally dying off. Ask any kid who Roy Rogers is and all they might know is the restaurant. No exposure these days to that genre for any point of reference.

That's why speculating on any comics with a non-Icon actual human is destined to be a losing proposition despite their popularity at one time...

Jim

I'm not into the western comics based on actual western movie stars, and I don't like photo covers.

My wife treasures the Hi-Yo Silver file copy you sold me. :cloud9:

Jim

I collect Atlas westerns, and while their appeal is definitely a hard sell, I think they'll always have a fanbase due to the quality of the art. I don't think they'll suddenly become hot or anything but they are better than some comics of the period and had some awesome covers...

That's the problem with the western star covers. Pictures of the western stars, while they may have sold the comics during it's release, do not sell the comics after the stars become forgotten. At that point, it's a hard sell.

Jim

Jim

My wife treasures the Hi-Yo Silver file copy you sold me. :cloud9:

(thumbs u

Jim

I collect Atlas westerns, and while their appeal is definitely a hard sell, I think they'll always have a fanbase due to the quality of the art. I don't think they'll suddenly become hot or anything but they are better than some comics of the period and had some awesome covers...

That's the problem with the western star covers. Pictures of the western stars, while they may have sold the comics during it's release, do not sell the comics after the stars become forgotten. At that point, it's a hard sell.

Jim

Esp. for Gabby Hayes :sick: and all the more when it's a shot of Gabby with an animal, be it a goat or a mule :insane: (Top book is mine, others are random scans)

89349.jpg.3177815a776e93efbb69c16ff614d148.jpg

89350.jpg.83dfd814b33ee884af426a8fe51312d4.jpg

89351.jpg.adcd09b7aaa227dd909c698156bfaec5.jpg

At some point we will get to the fact that pressing has caused the depression in prices but that is not the intention of this thread so please restrain as much as humanly possible :wishluck:

Aim of thread:

Discuss where prices of comics (series/storylines/covers/genres/publishers/ etc) have become so depressed that they have become attractive to buy.

My view:

GA - non DC/Timely

SA - medium grade non-keys (as presentable readers)

BA - X-Men Byrne/ FF to read or collect high grade

All Daredevils (though I might be biased)

Thoughts appreciated.

Does this mean I'll finally be able to afford a copy of Phantom Lady 16?

I think I ignored 2007 and 8, I don't see so much of a difference in low to mid grade unless it's SA, and those were always marked too high in Overstreet...the 50's DCs were always too low....While I was trying to complete my Wonder Woman Sensation runs, they ALWAYS went over guide...now, not always...unless I'm trying to upgrade...then they are impossible....it's just how shopping works;)

Fads change the market, too...Nedors are going up and it seems that ducks might be going up a tad, too...

My collection is totally confused, I don't look for any specific genre...except I do avoid westerns and I do know who Roy Rogers was:)

I'm a very low volume buyer but I've found quite a few deals on minor keys over the past year. Key issues of Spiderman, Punisher, Batman, Green Lantern, etc. all seem to keep selling at similarly high prices but I've paid half-Overstreet on 1st appearances of lesser characters like Werewolf By Night, Shang Chi, Professor Zoom, Bizarro and the like. I even got 40% off Guide for Flash 123 (low-mid grade, not a hyper grade with the hyper prices).

The biggest problem I've seen is finding real opportunities for deals...Ebay sellers seem to have been much more about Buy It Now with Won't Sell prices over the past year than in the 2+ years before. Some of my 10-20 great deals have been on Ebay and some have actuallly been in Comic Link auctions...it's great when an interesting minor key is selling alongside tons of major keys! (thumbs u

I'm a very low volume buyer but I've found quite a few deals on minor keys over the past year. Key issues of Spiderman, Punisher, Batman, Green Lantern, etc. all seem to keep selling at similarly high prices but I've paid half-Overstreet on 1st appearances of lesser characters like Werewolf By Night, Shang Chi, Professor Zoom, Bizarro and the like. I even got 40% off Guide for Flash 123 (low-mid grade, not a hyper grade with the hyper prices).

The biggest problem I've seen is finding real opportunities for deals...Ebay sellers seem to have been much more about Buy It Now with Won't Sell prices over the past year than in the 2+ years before. Some of my 10-20 great deals have been on Ebay and some have actuallly been in Comic Link auctions...it's great when an interesting minor key is selling alongside tons of major keys! (thumbs u

Have to agree with you.

There seem to be a higher frequency of auctions and teh introduction of ComicConnect + the economic conditions have led to a substantial amount of quality items hitting the market simultaneously.

I have wondered how long this supply can be matched by demand. While the demand for the major keys is still there the sheer volume of items for sale has meant that here are plenty of opportunities to big up bargains in the second tier/ not top of census lots.

Have to agree with you.

There seem to be a higher frequency of auctions and teh introduction of ComicConnect + the economic conditions have led to a substantial amount of quality items hitting the market simultaneously.

I have wondered how long this supply can be matched by demand. While the demand for the major keys is still there the sheer volume of items for sale has meant that here are plenty of opportunities to big up bargains in the second tier/ not top of census lots.

Dude, have you had your morning tea yet?

Jim

Jim

Esp. for Gabby Hayes :sick: and all the more when it's a shot of Gabby with an animal, be it a goat or a mule :insane: (Top book is mine, others are random scans)

Nice attempt to separate yourself from the barnyard genre, but I'm not falling for it, "old man". :baiting: