• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Depressed Comics Thread

56 posts in this topic

At some point we will get to the fact that pressing has caused the depression in prices but that is not the intention of this thread so please restrain as much as humanly possible :wishluck:

Aim of thread:

Discuss where prices of comics (series/storylines/covers/genres/publishers/ etc) have become so depressed that they have become attractive to buy.

My view:

GA - non DC/Timely

SA - medium grade non-keys (as presentable readers)

BA - X-Men Byrne/ FF to read or collect high grade

All Daredevils (though I might be biased)

Thoughts appreciated.

At some point we will get to the fact that pressing has caused the depression in prices but that is not the intention of this thread so please restrain as much as humanly possible :wishluck:

Aim of thread:

Discuss where prices of comics (series/storylines/covers/genres/publishers/ etc) have become so depressed that they have become attractive to buy.

My view:

GA - non DC/Timely

Thoughts appreciated.

I think some of the Fiction House "jungle" books are in the "fun money" range ($30-$80) in VG-F. Classic "ladies in distress" covers and golden age goodness inside. :cloud9:

Also, I don't think of affordable prices as "depressed", it's more like "collecting" prices in general have hyper-inflated to insane levels. If you took books out of the closed-society of comic "collecting" into the broader world of used magazines, prices would probably be instantly more realistic. 2c

Also, I don't think of affordable prices as "depressed", it's more like "collecting" prices in general have hyper-inflated to insane levels. If you took books out of the closed-society of comic "collecting" into the broader world of used magazines, prices would probably be instantly more realistic. 2c

But the fact they are collected is the reason they are worth anything...

You really can't compare comics to used magazines since it's the nostalgia of the characters vs. nostaglia of a period in time that drives the market. There are far fewer people who want to collect a magazine that is different with every issue vs. a medium that follows a character through the same timeframe, usually indifferent to the period they are released.

But back on-topic. Is there a depressed market? Absolutely I've noticed a slackening. You'd have to have blinders on not to see it. But you could argue, whether it's right or not, that it's economy driven vs. a lack of will to buy these at ever increasing prices. Personally, I think it's a result of the big money moving away from comics but have no way to justify that stance. And as result, will wait it out for awhile to see if my hunch is correct...

Jim

My view:

GA - non DC/Timely

There are actually a lot.

GA Fawcetts

Atomic Age westerns (many of which have awesome covers)

Dell and Gold Key Tarzans and Turoks (many of which have awesome painted covers)

Ultra-HG SA DCs (which go for a fraction of their Marvel counterparts, even though they`re 100X more challenging to find--just think that the best copy of Showcase #4 sold for only about $50K more than a non-descript 9.4 TOS #39 or 9.4 X-Men #1, neither of which even gave their respective owners coveted "top of census" status)

A good example of a generation of collectors literally dying off. Ask any kid who Roy Rogers is and all they might know is the restaurant. No exposure these days to that genre for any point of reference.

A good example of a generation of collectors literally dying off. Ask any kid who Roy Rogers is and all they might know is the restaurant. No exposure these days to that genre for any point of reference.

That's why speculating on any comics with a non-Icon actual human is destined to be a losing proposition despite their popularity at one time...

Jim

You really can't compare comics to used magazines since it's the nostalgia of the characters vs. nostaglia of a period in time that drives the market. There are far fewer people who want to collect a magazine that is different with every issue vs. a medium that follows a character through the same timeframe, usually indifferent to the period they are released.

But back on-topic. Is there a depressed market? Absolutely I've noticed a slackening. You'd have to have blinders on not to see it. But you could argue, whether it's right or not, that it's economy driven vs. a lack of will to buy these at ever increasing prices. Personally, I think it's a result of the big money moving away from comics but have no way to justify that stance. And as result, will wait it out for awhile to see if my hunch is correct...

Jim

You're spot on. I'm only suggesting there's a window of affordability for fans of the medium. If one can separate themselves from group-think, never ever chase a book, and look around for what "the hobby" is ignoring (for the moment), you can enjoy yourself strictly as a "consumer", with collecting as the by-product of repetitious smart shopping.

That's why speculating on any comics with a non-Icon actual human is destined to be a losing proposition despite their popularity at one time...

Jim

I disagree totally in the case of HORROR comics. That genre has always been popular and I see no sign of it waning. Just look at the steady stream of horror movies out of Hollywood.

Combine that with the awesome lurid covers and I don't see horror falling the way westerns did.

Jim

I disagree totally in the case of HORROR comics. That genre has always been popular and I see no sign of it waning. Just look at the steady stream of horror movies out of Hollywood.

Combine that with the awesome lurid covers and I don't see horror falling the way westerns did.

I'm not following...where has a movie or TV horror star carry a comic?

Jim

Jim

Jim

All I'm saying is that 1950's horror comics will be a better investment in the future than 1950's western comics.

The fans that were kids in the 1950's will die off for both genres, but the horror comics will hold their value much better than the western comics due to the genre, the artists, the lurid covers, etc.

1950's horror will continue to appeal to new generations of collectors in the future but westerns won't

Jim

You're spot on. I'm only suggesting there's a window of affordability for fans of the medium. If one can separate themselves from group-think, never ever chase a book, and look around for what "the hobby" is ignoring (for the moment), you can enjoy yourself strictly as a "consumer", with collecting as the by-product of repetitious smart shopping.

Agree with you here.

I have two parts of my collection - the allegedly smart investments (GA keys and pre-Robin Tecs) and the enjoy reading/looking at artwork section (Daredevil 1-94 bound copies etc).

It is the second part of my collection that I have been recently focusing on as the prices have fallen so that I can buy many coomics without having to worry about their condition, the state of the market, etc.

For example I have recently purchased 49 of the X-Men between 1 and 67 (including an X-Men #1) to read and 200 odd cartoon character books to share with my daughter.

I am happier to own the X-Men #1 in 5.0 that I can read rather than the 9.4 Mound City copy that I had thought about buying.

I am hoping for prices to go down, but I just don't see it. Maybe it is just cause I am looking at HG silver and bronze hero comics. Looking at the current comiclink auctions those particular comics seem to be reaching record prices.

That said, NOW might be the time to buy keys in high grade that are on the market ONLY because the economy is so bad and people need the money and are selling their keys.

Jim

Jim

All I'm saying is that 1950's horror comics will be a better investment in the future than 1950's western comics.

The fans that were kids in the 1950's will die off for both genres, but the horror comics will hold their value much better than the western comics due to the genre, the artists, the lurid covers, etc.

1950's horror will continue to appeal to new generations of collectors in the future but westerns won't

I agree with you as long as the comic doesn't highlight a fading TV/movie star on the cover. Hell...I even think westerns have a future based on the artists involved as long as they don't have Roy Rogers, Tom Holt, or "name your matinee idol" emblazing the cover...

Original characters will always have some desireability...

Jim

Jim

Jim

I agree with you as long as the comic doesn't highlight a fading TV/movie star on the cover. Hell...I even think westerns have a future based on the artists involved as long as they don't have Roy Rogers, Tom Holt, or "name your matinee idol" emblazing the cover...

Original characters will always have some desireability...

Jim

Jonah Hex :cloud9:

Golden age keys will be immune, silver age and most definately bronze age keys will be affected, eventually most people will figure it out that they really can`t tell the difference between a 9.8 and 9.2. So if anybody has a high grade silver age or bronze age key sell to your high rollers now, take that money invest in either gold age key or something else. :D

as long as they don't have Roy Rogers, Tom Holt, or "name your matinee idol" emblazing the cover...

Jim

:gossip: That's Tim Holt, not Tom.

FWIW, the Tim Holt comics tend to have better than average art. (thumbs u

Thanks for making my case on their desireability..

Jim

As far as GA books go, I think the Quality books are a good value for the dollar. Titles like National, Police, Military, Blackhawk, Uncle Sam are affordable (unless a ped or HG) and contain excellent art: Lou Fine, Jack Cole, Will Eisner, Klaus Nordling, Fred Guardineer. Are they good investments? Doubt it, but they are reasonable in mid grade and have some great covers and interior art.