• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers 4--Still Getting Hot or Losing Steam?

88 posts in this topic

Anyone believe that this book is NOT trimmed? Is there a way to check it by measuring it, that I can do myself?

Unfortunately the printing process was not so precise that one can determine whether a comic has been trimmed just by measuring a book.

Anyone believe that this book is NOT trimmed? Is there a way to check it by measuring it, that I can do myself?

Unfortunately the printing process was not so precise that one can determine whether a comic has been trimmed just by measuring a book.

Then how do they do it? By examining the edges and seeing if they are cut differently than normal books?

I laid an OO silver age book on top of the front and back of this book and the covers are the same size almost. Just 1/32 of an inch (or less) difference (the AV 4 being shorter). But the interior pages are way longer. Of course it is in a slab and so I do not know what is going on inside the book.

I guess I will have to submit this to CGC and see what is what.

I hate restored books. To my knowledge I do not own one. I did own two. Kid Colt Outlaw #1 (EPR) and AF 15 (trimmed top and sides) and I got rid of both. But I probably have many in my collection that I haven't discovered yet.

If you aren't comfortable with a book (trimmed?) then wait for another...trimmed or not the book bothers at least one person....

I have owned this book for a long time. I was the one who submitted it to PGX. I don't remember how long I have had it. At least 15 years, maybe longer.

If you look over in the Comic Book Grading and Restoration subforum, you'll see some threads on how to spot trimming. One technique I look for is the coloration of the splash page. If it is slightly whiter on the inside and dark on the outside, then it might be a simple production miscut as the exposed interior page would naturally look more aged than the protected interior. However, if they're generally the same color... well, then it seems that the exposure to light, etc, hasn't manifested on the exposed interior page because... it hasn't been exposed long--hence, a trim job that now shows the interior. Additionally, if you happen to see three shades of gradually darkening PQ (lightest on the inside, a narrow strip on the right of the cover, and then a darker edge, then you might see some trimming evidence since the part of the interior page exposed now shows some signs of aging, but obviously is not as aged as the farthest exposed edge.

Not sure if that make sense or not; unfortunately, I don't have any pictures to show you. What I can say though is that comics at the time often were of lower production quality so it's not uncommon to find some production-related issues (such as the ever popular "Marvel" chipping).

If you look over in the Comic Book Grading and Restoration subforum, you'll see some threads on how to spot trimming. One technique I look for is the coloration of the splash page. If it is slightly whiter on the inside and dark on the outside, then it might be a simple production miscut as the exposed interior page would naturally look more aged than the protected interior. However, if they're generally the same color... well, then it seems that the exposure to light, etc, hasn't manifested on the exposed interior page because... it hasn't been exposed long--hence, a trim job that now shows the interior. Additionally, if you happen to see three shades of gradually darkening PQ (lightest on the inside, a narrow strip on the right of the cover, and then a darker edge, then you might see some trimming evidence since the part of the interior page exposed now shows some signs of aging, but obviously is not as aged as the farthest exposed edge.

Not sure if that make sense or not; unfortunately, I don't have any pictures to show you. What I can say though is that comics at the time often were of lower production quality so it's not uncommon to find some production-related issues (such as the ever popular "Marvel" chipping).

Finally some info I can use. Thanks.

Finally some info I can use. Thanks.

I only wish I had some picture examples to show, but I've only seen it firsthand once or twice. Fortunately, knowing it helped me spot it and avoid being had (as the dealer wouldn't come down a bit on the price since it was a key and therefore was "immune" to defects like that-ha!-)

You can always send the book to Matt Nelson at Classics Inc. He can go over the book for you. If he gives the all clear. You can leave it raw or submit it to CGC or PGX. The CGC slab will get a lot more respect from potential buyers, if your going to sell it. If your going to keep the book for your personal collection. You could leave it raw in a nice bag and board.

avengers4front.jpg

avengers4back.jpg

looks a lot like this NON-TRIMMED AVENGERS 1 thats PGX graded as well... either its a production thing,or PGX is really bad with the TRIMMING detection?

BfpDIcwCGkKGrHqMOKjcEsTZkz3hBLCKGsb.jpg

I have seen many books over the years that have this "appearance", but can not state for certain any or all were trimmed or not trimmed.

My AF #15 that came back trimmed, came back from PGX labeled as trimmed and it didn't have this "look".

But everytime I see a silver or golden age book with this "look", I am suspicious. Even though I have seen it so many times that for sure some or most, or maybe even all, were probably not trimmed. You never really know unless CGC tells you so, and even then, they have been wrong apparently from time to time.

I have had OO books of my own that had pages sticking out like this. So I know it is not an automatic call of being trimmed. But still, it sure looks like it and I will have to get it CGC'd. Once (and if) it gets a blue label from CGC, it won't matter if it is trimmed. It will be officially NOT trimmed.

(trying to start a fight here) :devil:

Exactly...I own 5 of these and no two have the exact same dimensions... which is true for most early Marvels.

I have seen many books over the years that have this "appearance", but can not state for certain any or all were trimmed or not trimmed.

My AF #15 that came back trimmed, came back from PGX labeled as trimmed and it didn't have this "look".

But everytime I see a silver or golden age book with this "look", I am suspicious. Even though I have seen it so many times that for sure some or most, or maybe even all, were probably not trimmed. You never really know unless CGC tells you so, and even then, they have been wrong apparently from time to time.

I have had OO books of my own that had pages sticking out like this. So I know it is not an automatic call of being trimmed. But still, it sure looks like it and I will have to get it CGC'd. Once (and if) it gets a blue label from CGC, it won't matter if it is trimmed. It will be officially NOT trimmed.

when are you planning on sending the av 4 to cgc? anytime soon?

I am sending it along with several other PGX graded books to CGC after the first of the year. One being a Buck Rogers #1 from 1938 which is currently a PGX 7.0 and another being an ASM #1 which is a PGX 5.5. Too busy now with other stuff. I have Christmas shopping and three family parties to get too. Two of which are at my home on the 16th and 19th (one for "her" side of the family and one for mine).

Yep, after the 1st of the year. I might go to joeypost first for some pressing. I have never done that before but am considering it. I just have to try and ascertain what books could benefit from it and which ones might not.

I am going to fully scan all with their PGX labels before I send them, and then report here with the CGC labels after. Just to have fun comparing. But CGC takes so darn long, I hope I don't forget (or get banned from the site) :)

I am sending it along with several other PGX graded books to CGC after the first of the year. One being a Buck Rogers #1 from 1938 which is currently a PGX 7.0 and another being an ASM #1 which is a PGX 5.5. Too busy now with other stuff. I have Christmas shopping and three family parties to get too. Two of which are at my home on the 16th and 19th (one for "her" side of the family and one for mine).

Yep, after the 1st of the year. I might go to joeypost first for some pressing. I have never done that before but am considering it. I just have to try and ascertain what books could benefit from it and which ones might not.

I am going to fully scan all with their PGX labels before I send them, and then report here with the CGC labels after. Just to have fun comparing. But CGC takes so darn long, I hope I don't forget (or get banned from the site) :)

send them to joey and let him sub them after a press..use express for a couple of dollars more..you will have to with the larger dollar books anyhow... 5 day turn around.. sub the rest however tier...as a different sub