• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do we have a complete set of Action Comics between all the board members?

73 posts in this topic

my point is, those "big 4" come up so infrequently for public sale, that they are down right "scarce" .... give me a month, I can complete 100-200 (might can do it in a week during SDCC, or such)...just comparing apples to oranges

I would be very interested in taking you up on that challenge, but as I have not the resources to fund such a venture, alas, it remains an exercise in hypothesis only.

:)

doing a quick search around the internet (10 minutes), I have located 97 of the 100 issues available... and that was about 10 minutes of work and only 4 sites (clink, ebay, payette and metro)...

only issues I didn't see at least one or more copies of were 145, 157 and 163

but I am sure given a few more minutes, could easily find, so I will lay that "hypothesis" to rest, if you will concede how easy it was :baiting: ...

In response to this, I'm going to find out how long it will take to find #1-100 for sale somewhere.... ;)

But not today, I'm lazy today.

I think a more interesting question is do we have every comic ever published between all the board members?

Ian Levine has all the DCs, at least one board member has all the hero Timelys. One board member has all the Archies (not me sadly :( )...

my point is, those "big 4" come up so infrequently for public sale, that they are down right "scarce" .... give me a month, I can complete 100-200 (might can do it in a week during SDCC, or such)...just comparing apples to oranges

I would be very interested in taking you up on that challenge, but as I have not the resources to fund such a venture, alas, it remains an exercise in hypothesis only.

doing a quick search around the internet (10 minutes), I have located 97 of the 100 issues available... and that was about 10 minutes of work and only 4 sites (clink, ebay, payette and metro)...

but I am sure given a few more minutes, could easily find, so I will lay that "hypothesis" to rest, if you will concede how easy it was :baiting: ...

It would be more difficult if you put restrictions on the books such as fine or better, no name on the cover, off-white or better page quality ect... :baiting:

In response to this, I'm going to find out how long it will take to find #1-100 for sale somewhere.... ;)

well, I can tell you no one has a 1, 7, 10 or 13...so forget about it :baiting:

It would be more difficult if you put restrictions on the books such as fine or better, no name on the cover, off-white or better page quality ect... :baiting:
ah, but that was my point, as long as not condition conscious, it is easy...

on a side note, found a 157 and 163, so only 145 eludes me (but still a TON of places to search)

That's not for sale.

But, returning to the original...like I said, unlimited funds. I do not doubt that SOME of those #100-200 are quite higher than "market" would support.

If I offer $1,000,000 dollars for a 4.0 Action #1, it will turn up, guaranteed.

So let's revise it to......reasonable market, no more than 1.5 times the last recorded GPA sale in that grade.

;)

well, I can tell you no one has a 1, 7, 10 or 13...so forget about it :baiting:

Are we playing Go Fish?

This is interesting because Michelle Nolan once wrote that 1-100 were easier to find than the second hundred. Of course she may have meant most of 1-100.

Also, it's possible that somehow the internet and other trends have changed things in some way. If you guys are searching anyway (poke poke) maybe you could see if say issues 30-80 have more copies available per, with a better selection of different grades, than say issues 120-170.

Of course it took Michelle 15 years in the old days to find issues 1-5 of Tuffy, so things have definitely changed.

P.S. I bet it was easier to find #7 20 years ago...

West also stated that #101 through #200 were harder to find than #1 through #100
unfortunately, in 15 minutes I debunked that theory... but the internet has definitely "changed" perceptions on scarcity

That's not for sale.

But, returning to the original...like I said, unlimited funds. I do not doubt that SOME of those #100-200 are quite higher than "market" would support.

So let's revise it to......reasonable market, no more than 1.5 times the last recorded GPA sale in that grade.

;)

won't work as probably the majority of those issues are not cgc candidates, so gpa is not relevant... that said, given the "minimal" demand for most issues 100-200, I suspect all can be had at FMV or less (thumbs u

While not a board member, a fellow Vermonter has an Action run of 1-300 and a whole run of Bat Tecs 27-up. And complete runs of Supes and Bat as well. His original artwork collection is mind boggling.
Wow!

it really comes down to supply and demand... there is TONS of demand for early actions and sub 100 actions... therefore, they are more actively bought and sold, so it "appears" that the majority of them are more readily available, than say action 137, which is not an issue of any note (chose virtually any issue 100-200)...

and, the values of the early actions, make them more desirable and visible as well (and, as mentioned, in far more demand than any issue 100-200)...

but, litterally in 15 minutes, I could put together (and I bet at FMV or less, maybe much less, as I suspect demand is so low for those issues, there are deals to be had!) 100-200 with a few phone calls...

but, try to put together 1-100 as available in the market "now" (I am sure if I offered $500 someone would find and sell me a $20 #145, etc) at FMV, and it won't happen anytime soon (though, it certainly can be done)

you would have to offer WAY over market to shake a few early actions free...I bet every issue (maybe 108 is the exception) can be had at OS or less

That's not for sale.

;)

won't work as probably the majority of those issues are not cgc candidates, so gpa is not relevant... that said, given the "minimal" demand for most issues 100-200, I suspect all can be had at FMV or less (thumbs u

Dat's ok...I got some backup, and that makes me happy, if not accurate.

:cloud9:

I would suspect that of all copies extant, there are MORE copies of #1-100, in total, than #100-200. Given the nature of collecting, and the severe drop in superhero interest in the early 50's, I bet that's not far off.