• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Miller DD #159 splash in Clink Auction- final hammer?

15 posts in this topic

Sold on Romitaman in 2006 for around $4500-$5K, iirc. Now? Maybe $7K? Hard to say and really depends on who's currently after Miller DD. Last November, a great DD/Bullseye fight page from the landmark #181 issue sold for $9K. A few months later, this May, a (imo) lesser DD/Bullseye fight page from #172 sold for twice as much. I think this #159 page is not nearly as strong as either of those two, but still not easy to predict where it will finish.

Sold on Romitaman in 2006 for around $4500-$5K, iirc. Now? Maybe $7K? Hard to say and really depends on who's currently after Miller DD. Last November, a great DD/Bullseye fight page from the landmark #181 issue sold for $9K. A few months later, this May, a (imo) lesser DD/Bullseye fight page from #172 sold for twice as much. I think this #159 page is not nearly as strong as either of those two, but still not easy to predict where it will finish.

Wasn't this "splash" on eBay before it made it to Romitaman's site? Its at $7500 with 4 days to go, which is already an incredibly strong price for that page (which I wouldn't call a splash since it has four panels - even though it's the first page).

Although this is a nice piece, it's probably not going to command the same prices as Original Art from Frank Miller written stories (especially since the artwork of the 80's era featured dialogue) and Frank Miller art pages from #168 to #181 that had the whole Elektra, Kingpin & Bullseye storyline, especially the earlier issues, as I did hear somewhere that in the beginning Frank Miller did the majority of the penciled art only to subsequently slowly contribute loose pencils and layouts for Klaus Janson to finish and ink.

Klaus Janson's inking is to Frank Miller on Daredevil what Terry Austin was to John Byrne on X-Men, and defined the classic artwork as a perfect tandem.

It's Frank Miller's storytelling that really made him a superstar more than his artwork.

For those looking for a good Miller Daredevil page, I'd probably patiently wait for another one since the price of this seems a tad high for what it is, in my opinion.

Well, I obviously should have looked at the auction a little more closely:P So it's already at $7500? Wow. Probably influenced by the earlier $18K sale on Heritage.

Miller and Janson were a great team on DD, no doubt. One thing to look out for, though, are a few pages were inked by Janson in Sharpie. This may be limited to #168, but something to keep in mind in terms of the OA.

I was going to buy that page when Burkey had it, for 4500.....but a buyer Down Under had already put a deposit on it and Mike wasn't 100% sure he was going to follow through with it....So I had second dibs......Apparently he followed through, the page disappeared.

I really had wanted that page too, but at 4500......not what it will go for eventually.

Well, I obviously should have looked at the auction a little more closely:P So it's already at $7500? Wow. Probably influenced by the earlier $18K sale on Heritage.

Miller and Janson were a great team on DD, no doubt. One thing to look out for, though, are a few pages were inked by Janson in Sharpie. This may be limited to #168, but something to keep in mind in terms of the OA.

:sick: those pages are marker? aw man

too simplistic. Too many factors are involved in judging the price of a piece. It's not a $ per sq inch rule. lol

that's what i suspected but wanted to poll the experts. does the fact that there seem to have been only three double page spreads in miller's entire DD run mean anything for the value of them?

Is the Comic Link page better or worse than the $8500 page on ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Frank-MILLER-DAREDEVIL-172-Key-Kingpin-BULLSEYE-Page_W0QQitemZ350267584925QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item518d93319d

The ebay page has nice dialog between Kingpin and Bullseye, but there is no Daredevil, and the page is mounted on a separate backing board.

Is the Comic Link page better or worse than the $8500 page on ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Frank-MILLER-DAREDEVIL-172-Key-Kingpin-BULLSEYE-Page_W0QQitemZ350267584925QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item518d93319d

The ebay page has nice dialog between Kingpin and Bullseye, but there is no Daredevil, and the page is mounted on a separate backing board.

Miller's writing counts for a lot IMO. You can get a Mazz DD page for a couple hundred. Want a Mazz DD page from Born Again? you're talking a couple thousand.

The eBay page has really good story content. It's got great Miller writing with the cool moment when the Kingpin 'flips' Bullseye, but ultimately it would be tough to pick against 4 action-panels of DD and Bullseye duking it out, even if it wasn't as memorable a page.