• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quick question

16 posts in this topic

When should the micro-chamber paper in slabs be changed? And is there any danger to the book if it is not changed?

Okay, thanks!

i think actually that CGC doesn't know how long the microchamber paper is effective, and that they said 7 years as a sort of CYA guesstimate.

i doubt you have to change out your microchamber paper nearly that often, but would defer to a conservator for the real answer

Tracey Heft from Eclipse Paper Conservation and a few other boardies discussed this a while back.

It basically came down to this...nobody actually knows. I believe it was just a rough guesstimate on the part of the paper manufacturer. The conclusion that most people came to is that it is much more important to store your books properly (moderate temp/humidity at a stable rate over a long period of time) than to worry about changing the paper.

The storage conditions determined how long the paper was able to remain effective.

If the storage conditions were ideal, the life of the paper could be indefinite.

R.

Tracey Heft from Eclipse Paper Conservation and a few other boardies discussed this a while back.

It basically came down to this...nobody actually knows. I believe it was just a rough guesstimate on the part of the paper manufacturer. The conclusion that most people came to is that it is much more important to store your books properly (moderate temp/humidity at a stable rate over a long period of time) than to worry about changing the paper.

The storage conditions determined how long the paper was able to remain effective.

If the storage conditions were ideal, the life of the paper could be indefinite.

R.

With that in mind, shouldn't you be shipping your books to the more temperate climate of Newport Beach, CA?

R.

With that in mind, shouldn't you be shipping your books to the more temperate climate of Newport Beach, CA?

As long as the environment is stable it's all good...so I try not to breathe on them too often.

Now I don't consider an earthquake ready zone a stable environment.

:baiting:

R.

As long as the environment is stable it's all good...so I try not to breathe on them too often.

Now I don't consider an earthquake ready zone a stable environment.

:baiting:

We live at the beach, so the tsunami resulting from the earthquake is more of a concern than the earthquake itself. :o

R.

Yeah, there's no humidity at the ocean....

:whistle:

R.

The Pacific is a very dry ocean. You know, like a dry martini. :shy:

R.

The Pacific is a very dry ocean. You know, like a dry martini. :shy:

If you could, would you export some of that "dryness" up to the Valley?

We could use some out here.