• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man 121 alternate cover - Anthony Castrillo

21 posts in this topic

Amazing Spider-Man 121 is one of those few comics that had a powerful emotional effect on me when I read it as a young teenager. I still remember the denial and all the other stages of the grieving process that I went through as the story continued into Spidey 122 and after.

When I become a collector, this book was one of two at the top of my list. I still love the story. But, as an adult, when I look back at the book, I always felt that the cover was not on the same level of excellence. You only saw Spidey from the back looking at a background of floating heads and the only drama or tension was conveyed by word balloons, not the art.

Don't get me wrong, I love Romita's art but I always wanted to see an alternate cover to Spidey 121 that matched the story. Here it is courtesy of Anthony Castrillo.

Spidey121alternatecover.jpg

And here is the original for reference.

AmazingSpider-Man121CGC9.jpg

What are your thoughts?

Really, really tough to be objective here as Romita's cover is so iconic. From a storytelling standpoint, Romita chooses to make the identity of the imperiled character a mystery, whereas there's no doubt it's Gwen in the redo. There is drama/tension in Romita's cover; Spidey's panic is clearly expressed...he has no idea who needs his protection. In the redo, Peter seems dazed, confused, oblivious. Everyone else in the background is aware of the danger except for him.

But again, we're talking about one of the all-time most memorable ASM covers, so anything else will suffer by comparison.

Really, really tough to be objective here as Romita's cover is so iconic. From a storytelling standpoint, Romita chooses to make the identity of the imperiled character a mystery, whereas there's no doubt it's Gwen in the redo. There is drama/tension in Romita's cover; Spidey's panic is clearly expressed...he has no idea who needs his protection. In the redo, Peter seems dazed, confused, oblivious. Everyone else in the background is aware of the danger except for him.

But again, we're talking about one of the all-time most memorable ASM covers, so anything else will suffer by comparison.

was going to say the same thing

In the original cover Spidey looks like he is racing towards something. He's in action, hot pursuit, to save whoever is going to die. In the re-creation he looks helpless and not doing anything.

In the end

SPOILER ALERT TO ALL THOSE IN A COMA SINCE THE BOOK WAS ON THE STANDS..

he was helpless when the time came, wasn't he?

I really like this as an alternate composition.

If you're looking for re-imagined covers, look no further than BOB LAYTON as an artist who can also capture the 70's - 80's look and do a great creative job designing the concept and then executing it with tight pencils and inked as a cover quality recreation.

I think he's not taking on any cover recreations at this time, but when he does and is available, he's one of the very best at commissioned work.

I think your right but i was going for the angle that the reader knows what is going to happen but Peter/Spidey doesnt,the same way Hitchcock would introduce the danger of the scene to the audience,there by bringing them into the world of the protagonist.

And yes,its an iconic cover that will over shadow any attempts at a redo but as long as its appreciate by its owner,ive done my job.

mac

I think your right but i was going for the angle that the reader knows what is going to happen but Peter/Spidey doesnt,the same way Hitchcock would introduce the danger of the scene to the audience,there by bringing them into the world of the protagonist.

And yes,its an iconic cover that will over shadow any attempts at a redo but as long as its appreciate by its owner,ive done my job.

mac

Understanding that no one is going to change history and the original 121 cover is always going to be there.. I love this take on that cover. Would be pretty cool to see other artists redo some of the other memorable GA/SA/BA covers. Make a good coffee table book.

mac

Understanding that no one is going to change history and the original 121 cover is always going to be there.. I love this take on that cover. Would be pretty cool to see other artists redo some of the other memorable GA/SA/BA covers. Make a good coffee table book.
That's got to have been done already, anyone know of any thing out there? hm

its a nice cover, but the original is a near classic. Not the best of the best, but clean and well crafted and graphic. The new one is just another action comic cover... as as has been pointed out, telegraphs that Gwen gets it as Spidey is looking silly as he's the only one who doesnt get it.

For all of us who have read the story already, its fine. But creating a cover in advance for a huge turning point for Spidey? the original nails it.