• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your Heritage Art wins!

95 posts in this topic

Which brings up: If comic OA is valued primarily because of nostalgia, is it really art at all?

Most definitely. Sometimes people go overboard with artistic praise here but comic art is definitely art. Nostalgia helps though. A lot of other illustration artists' appeal is nostalgia as well.

Which brings up: If comic OA is valued primarily because of nostalgia, is it really art at all?

Sure it's art, but in most cases it's not particularly good art. Nostalgia drives about 90% of the value, pop culture significance drives about 9% of the value, and the remaining 1% is artistic merit.

but hey, I also own a Kirby Thor splash.

I do too...it's awesome! I love it.

Who in their right mind gives up a Thor splash?

The guy that sold it to you must have been drunk. :insane:

but hey, I also own a Kirby Thor splash.

I do too...it's awesome! I love it.

Who in their right mind gives up a Thor splash?

The guy that sold it to you must have been drunk. :insane:

Ya or that guy who sold me that bolland ww cover...what was he thinkin?? Actually I must have been drunk to give up that spidey vs venom mcfarlane page :)~

Ya or that guy who sold me that bolland ww cover...what was he thinkin?? Actually I must have been drunk to give up that spidey vs venom mcfarlane page :)~

I don't know what specific pieces you're talking about but I would trade a McFarlane Spidey page for a Bolland WW cover so fast a sonic boom would precede the Spidey page on arrival.

As for Kirby Thor splashes, I have a little story on the one I briefly owned...

Years ago at a NYC show I saw a Kirby Tales of Asgard splash I liked at a well known dealer's table. The NYC dealers know me pretty well so I arranged to buy the page (no money down, pay me later) and I took it home. Within two days of having the page I found out that my job was being threatened due to a corporate takeover and that I was being evicted as the owner of the house I was renting had a buyer lined up and I needed to move within a month. Well, I'm very paranoid about owing people money so I immediately called the dealer and explained the situation. He had a "10% restocking fee" he charged for canceled orders. I told him I didn't want to be indebted to him right now because of my current situation and I asked if I could return the page and give him his 10% fee. He said no, I had to keep the page and pay him within 60 days. I wound up putting it on eBay where it sold for a little less than I paid and making up the difference.

In retrospect I should have held on to that lovely splash. It was about $1700. I just didn't want to risk being late with my payment. No reason for telling the story now other than wanting to share a semi-old timer's story.

I don't know what specific pieces you're talking about but I would trade a McFarlane Spidey page for a Bolland WW cover so fast a sonic boom would precede the Spidey page on arrival.

As for Kirby Thor splashes, I have a little story on the one I briefly owned...

Years ago at a NYC show I saw a Kirby Tales of Asgard splash I liked at a well known dealer's table. The NYC dealers know me pretty well so I arranged to buy the page (no money down, pay me later) and I took it home. Within two days of having the page I found out that my job was being threatened due to a corporate takeover and that I was being evicted as the owner of the house I was renting had a buyer lined up and I needed to move within a month. Well, I'm very paranoid about owing people money so I immediately called the dealer and explained the situation. He had a "10% restocking fee" he charged for canceled orders. I told him I didn't want to be indebted to him right now because of my current situation and I asked if I could return the page and give him his 10% fee. He said no, I had to keep the page and pay him within 60 days. I wound up putting it on eBay where it sold for a little less than I paid and making up the difference.

In retrospect I should have held on to that lovely splash. It was about $1700. I just didn't want to risk being late with my payment. No reason for telling the story now other than wanting to share a semi-old timer's story.

The mcfarlane venom page was sold long before I got into comic art. I made the buyer find me another mcfarlane spidey though, a splash this time...and then I just bough the bolland ww cover. I only own 3 pieces of art though mcfarlane spidey,kirby thor spash and the ww cover,The problem I'm finding is that since I'm extremely picky about art, the only art I like is way too expensive...someone might say this splash is 5K but it's by an artist I can't stand...I like Finch for newer artists,but i'm not dropping 8K for a cover that's just kind of blah he did 2 weeks ago.