• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Death of the monthy price guides

45 posts in this topic

Then the dealer who isn't following the "hot" books now might lose $$ ie: New Mutants 98. :headbang:

Ouch

WEBHEAD

But they never could do that, using the OPG.

As has been said many, many times before, the OPG is worthless when it comes to modern books.

Hence, eBay.

Well if price guides are dead/dying how do LCS price their back issues?

We eyeball the customer and make up a price on the spot based on what we think they can afford.

The same way they have for 40 years, using Overstreet, plus whatever anecdotal information they have from eBay and other sources. Or, like in Bedrock's case, they'll make it up as they go along.

Seriously, this isn't the end of the world. :ohnoez:

For older stuff they look at the annual Overstreet and, if they have any sense, discount depending on condition/title, etc.

Newer stuff is trickier... I think they just will make up a price or check out where things are at on ebay and add a few bucks.

The same way they have for 40 years, using Overstreet, plus whatever anecdotal information they have from eBay and other sources. Or, like in Bedrock's case, they'll make it up as they go along.

hm

WEBHEAD

That's great, it starts with an earthquake, birds and snakes and aeroplanes...Lenny Bruce is not afraid....

We all should have known that the printed monthly price guide would cease to exist.

The Mayan calendar foretold its demise.

who is following who with all this pricing business? i thought the lcs was setting the price which was reported in the guides. if not, then where does the guide get their prices?

who is following who with all this pricing business? i thought the lcs was setting the price which was reported in the guides. if not, then where does the guide get their prices?

Uh oh.

You better not let anyone catch you saying that out loud...

(they're listening.....)

:eek:

Uh oh.

You better not let anyone catch you saying that out loud...

(they're listening.....)

:eek:

:hi:

WEBHEAD

From the latest CBG (Jan. No.1661):

"Based on your feedback, we've removed our monthly price listings from our pages to offer them to you in our annual price guides, but have increased our auction coverage and market analysis (see our new section beginning on Page 60)."

So the new feature essentially regurgitates most of what you can find on the net already from all the big auctions and includes non-comic items (i.e.: Amelia Earhart's flight goggles, one of Elvis's guitars, a Michael jackson glove, etc.).

CBG did retain the CBG Trendwatcher reports from shop owners, which is good. CBG also added five more columns/features and also changed the format of the magazine from square bound to a standard magazine format.

OK, I can deal with Wizard not having a price guide, but how on earth do you call yourself Comic Price Guide with no price guide? Me thinks a name change is in order.

I've never even heard of this magazine. I searched Google but there's too many matches. Just curious, anyone have a pic of this mag?

http://www.cbgxtra.com/

where have you been all these years?

:preach:

WEBHEAD

OK, I can deal with Wizard not having a price guide, but how on earth do you call yourself Comic Price Guide with no price guide? Me thinks a name change is in order.

I've never even heard of this magazine. I searched Google but there's too many matches. Just curious, anyone have a pic of this mag?

WEBHEAD

To be honest, I'd never heard about or seen this publication either (shrug)

WEBHEAD

To be honest, I'd never heard about or seen this publication either (shrug)

It's been around for years, used to be a newspaper. It was a weekly and was very entertaining, then they decided to do a magazine. :whatev:

It outed Comic Keys http://www.justafanboy.com/ComicKeys/cbg.htm :devil:

This was the only one out there now there is none.

:tonofbricks:

WEBHEAD

WEBHEAD

Aren't you confusing everyone by referring to Comic Buyers Guide (CBG) as "CPG" or variations thereof? I think you're talking about Maggie Thompson's publication, started out in a tabloid newspaper format by Alan Light as The Buyers Guide, then became the CBG when Don & Maggie took it over. Then it stopped being a weekly paper and turned into a monthly magazine about 5 years ago. It's that publication this thread is about, yes? (shrug)

WEBHEAD

Aren't you confusing everyone by referring to Comic Buyers Guide (CBG) as "CPG" or variations thereof? I think you're talking about Maggie Thompson's publication, started out in a tabloid newspaper format by Alan Light as The Buyers Guide, then became the CBG when Don & Maggie took it over. Then it stopped being a weekly paper and turned into a monthly magazine about 5 years ago. It's that publication this thread is about, yes? (shrug)

You're correct, but I believe is referred to as the Comic Book Price Guide now.

My mistake, but still removing the comic book prices puts collectors in a mess (thumbs u

WEBHEAD