• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alvin Schwartz/ Batman, Bizarro, Worlds Finest Writer.

8 posts in this topic

While I was at the local show in Ottawa, Ont. Canada. I had the privilege of meeting and talking to Mr. Schwartz. He is a very interesting and nice man. Mr. Schwartz wrote some Bizarro, Batman, and Worlds Finest comic book's. He is in pretty good health for a man of 92 years young. Here is a copy of a Batman story he did on Dec, 28, 1948

His fee for signing the copy of the page was $2 It was worth every single penny. I tried to find a book he had written at the show. But there were none to be found.

89805.jpg.5ab99d592235eda9a1a44c5b4a9e0c0a.jpg

I'm a huge fan of being able to add signature from the absolute classics. I feel like it adds such a depth to my collection to be able to go back decades into some of my favorite titles and have signatures from the different creative contributors from those periods of time.

And $2??? No question on that being a good call :)

While I was at the local show in Ottawa, Ont. Canada. I had the privilege of meeting and talking to Mr. Schwartz. He is a very interesting and nice man. Mr. Schwartz wrote some Bizarro, Batman, and Worlds Finest comic book's. He is in pretty good health for a man of 92 years young. Here is a copy of a Batman story he did on Dec, 28, 1948

His fee for signing the copy of the page was $2 It was worth every single penny. I tried to find a book he had written at the show. But there were none to be found.

Dude,Thats is Sweet!!

Thanks for the nice comments. Mr. Schwartz even said that the books he had on the table were free for the taking. He didn't want to sell them. I was as bit surprised by this. I couldn't just take a book for free. From my little talk with him. He seems to be a very nice man. It is a shame that his appearance wasn't made known before hand. But it may of been a "if he can make it" type of scenario. So it is possible the show promoter didn't want to promise something that may not of taken place. I think the signed page is very cool. I will have to get a frame for it. I know another boardie, Vorhees{Brad} took his picture. Maybe he will post it up..

I have his picture on my cell phone. If/when I can get it off of it and onto my computer. I will post it for everyone to see. Here is a close up of his signature...

During this local show. .A person came into my friends set up. He said he had 30 long boxes of comic books from the 1940's!!! My dealer friend bought some books right on the spot. Classic Illustrated first print copy books. One of the books he brought with him was a very early Detective. It was the second or third appearance of The Joker!! Hopefully I and my nephew Porcupine48 will have some rather choice books to go through. :wishluck::wishluck:

89855.jpg.e00cb3e3cea1394ffb0b4ecadf038dc8.jpg

Thanks for the nice comments. Mr. Schwartz even said that the books he had on the table were free for the taking. He didn't want to sell them. I was as bit surprised by this. I couldn't just take a book for free. From my little talk with him. He seems to be a very nice man. It is a shame that his appearance wasn't made known before hand. But it may of been a "if he can make it" type of scenario. So it is possible the show promoter didn't want to promise something that may not of taken place. I think the signed page is very cool. I will have to get a frame for it. I know another boardie, Vorhees{Brad} took his picture. Maybe he will post it up..

I have his picture on my cell phone. If/when I can get it off of it and onto my computer. I will post it for everyone to see. Here is a close up of his signature...

During this local show. .A person came into my friends set up. He said he had 30 long boxes of comic books from the 1940's!!! My dealer friend bought some books right on the spot. Classic Illustrated first print copy books. One of the books he brought with him was a very early Detective. It was the second or third appearance of The Joker!! Hopefully I and my nephew Porcupine48 will have some rather choice books to go through. :wishluck::wishluck:

Damn, apparently I need to visit Ottawa more often...the Golden Age is alive and well in the capital.

This collection will be HUGE and exciting....The fellow saunters up with

a fistfull of first print Classics,#1 is the 2nd print,I flipped through a #13 that was an easy7.0 first print....he had six boxes with him,all 1940's stuff....

30plus boxes,in a house he inherited.....BigLittle Books,lotsa Batman stuff he says,all flat and cared for.....WOW,can't wait to see.....