• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GOLD or COMICS - Which will be the better investment?

Which asset class will increase more in value during the next 5 years?  

375 members have voted

1. 1. Which asset class will increase more in value during the next 5 years?

218 posts in this topic

I wish people would look at the history of gold, and realize that gold has had huge swings in prices, from the lowest of the low to the highest of the high. At the moment it is in an upswing. Here is a clue in how to invest. If everyone and their brother are investing in it, then it probably is being overvalued. I know people will say that. It's different because A, B, and C are happening. Guess what folks. People ALWAYS say A,B, and C are happening when something is overvalued. For instance

Go back to the late 90's with the internet stock craze. People would point to A,B, and C all the time to justify their irrational spending. Like it's a greatly expanding market, so therefore we should greatly increase the value of the stocks. Then go to the housing market craze in 2003/2004. Again people were saying that population was increasing, and that people would be stupid to not get a house now before they could not afford them at all. Then go to the Oil craze of 2006/2007, and the statements ran something like that oil is a finite resource and as oil diminishes it will only get higher. Then flash forward to today and people are using the look at what China, and India are doing. Gold is only bound to go up!

Every single time it is Look at A,B, and C to justify our irrational spending. In the long run it is found that A,B, and C are merely straw men arguments that fuel a mass populations greed, and blind ignorance.

I wish people would look at the history of gold, and realize that gold has had huge swings in prices, from the lowest of the low to the highest of the high. At the moment it is in an upswing. Here is a clue in how to invest. If everyone and their brother are investing in it, then it probably is being overvalued. I know people will say that. It's different because A, B, and C are happening. Guess what folks. People ALWAYS say A,B, and C are happening when something is overvalued. For instance

Go back to the late 90's with the internet stock craze. People would point to A,B, and C all the time to justify their irrational spending. Like it's a greatly expanding market, so therefore we should greatly increase the value of the stocks. Then go to the housing market craze in 2003/2004. Again people were saying that population was increasing, and that people would be stupid to not get a house now before they could not afford them at all. Then go to the Oil craze of 2006/2007, and the statements ran something like that oil is a finite resource and as oil diminishes it will only get higher. Then flash forward to today and people are using the look at what China, and India are doing. Gold is only bound to go up!

Every single time it is Look at A,B, and C to justify our irrational spending. In the long run it is found that A,B, and C are merely straw men arguments that fuel a mass populations greed, and blind ignorance.

And you can say the same thing about comics as well.

And you can say the same thing about comics as well.

Well maybe upper end Key Silver Age comics, but you will not find too many people espousing how great of an investment Copper Age comics are.

sounds good, but the price fo a suit covers a lot of ground, doesnt it? There's 3 for $400 at Mens wearhouse up to a 5000 bespoke tailored suit. Got a comparison to a commodity thats got a narrower pricing range? Gallon of milk maybe?

Well, just going by what I was always willing to spend (average middle class) I always figured that a nice suit for a special occasion would cost me anywhere from $400-700, $150-200 for a decent pair of shoes and $50-100 or so for a nice belt and then you have a nice shirt ($100) and socks and undies.

I believe that you do get what you pay for with clothing and I always tried to buy suits that "hung" nicely so $800-1000 was always the range for a nice,complete outfit.

R.

How about if you pay with gold. Will they take gold as payment?
I was going to ask this question in the next FS thread I choose to make a purchase in.

I will definitely accept gold as payment. Any time. Silver too.

I was going to ask this question in the next FS thread I choose to make a purchase in.

That's good to know! (thumbs u

comix4gold.com

sounds good, but the price fo a suit covers a lot of ground, doesnt it? There's 3 for $400 at Mens wearhouse up to a 5000 bespoke tailored suit. Got a comparison to a commodity thats got a narrower pricing range? Gallon of milk maybe?

Well, just going by what I was always willing to spend (average middle class) I always figured that a nice suit for a special occasion would cost me anywhere from $400-700, $150-200 for a decent pair of shoes and $50-100 or so for a nice belt and then you have a nice shirt ($100) and socks and undies.

I believe that you do get what you pay for with clothing and I always tried to buy suits that "hung" nicely so $800-1000 was always the range for a nice,complete outfit.

R.

Hugo Boss outlet around $400 for a suit.

but a "real" at retail" Boss suit costs more like 1200-2500... an outlet version isnt a "real" Boss suit at its "real" price.

I like the A, B C argument. All this gold talk when gold is already at its highs needs to be taken in context... no matter how scary or convincing the latest A, B C arguments sound in times of economic uncertainty.

but a "real" at retail" Boss suit costs more like 1200-2500... an outlet version isnt a "real" Boss suit at its "real" price.

I like the A, B C argument. All this gold talk when gold is already at its highs needs to be taken in context... no matter how scary or convincing the latest A, B C arguments sound in times of economic uncertainty.

Really, so the Hugh Boss Factory in Cleveland that assembles suits on site and then ships them around the world are not "real"?

Sorry, these aren't made in China, they're made in an All American City!

I might add, it's funny how the shirts that are bagged in the Hugo Boss outlet stores are the same exact shirts at Saks, made in the same Asian country, but there only $40/50 versus $110 and up.

Hugo Boss shoes are sadly all made in China, a few floating around in outlet stores made in Italy. Check any Bloomingdales or Nordstroms and you can see for yourself. The quality of the leather is horrible.

Seriously people, let's get some perspective. Physical gold is a store of wealth, and has been since it was discovered. Physical gold is accepted as payment for everything, anywhere in the world. If it's not accepted as direct payment, it can be easily converted into fiat currency to buy what you wish to buy. There is nothing more liquid than gold.

Comic books...not so much.

comix4gold.com

Someone better snatch up that domain

Really, so the Hugh Boss Factory in Cleveland that assembles suits on site and then ships them around the world are not "real"?

Sorry, these aren't made in China, they're made in an All American City!

"real' Hugo Boss suits are sold at heir flagship stores at their exorbitant pricing.

"Not real" Hugo Boss items are old at discounts at outlet malls.

Whether they are exactly the same construction nowadays I dont know... in the beginning of outlet malls, things were cheaper because they were flawed merchandise, containing a minor flaw that otherwise would have been tossed.Bt they lucked into a way to sell them to people who dodnt mind the flaw as long as it had the brand. However, as outlet malls caught on, and people expected 100% original products with tint flaws, companies started making two levels of products: full retail and those made for outlet mall direct at a cheaper price point. Today years past the maturing of the outlet mall business plan, maybe ALL products are identical, made to the lesser price point---and only the environment dictates the retail price, allowing the upscale stores to get twice the price for the same exact crapp.

my point was that when faced with a outlet mall Boss suit for 400 and an upscale store location suit for 2000, which one do we use for the purposes of this discussion? The cheap one or the expensive one? the "real" one, or the real one? makes a difference if we are to peg an ounce of gold to it.

when that saying was coined I dare say sssuits were available in a tidier range of pricing, as far fewer gents required a fine suit of clothes.

Seriously people, let's get some perspective. Physical gold is a store of wealth, and has been since it was discovered. Physical gold is accepted as payment for everything, anywhere in the world. If it's not accepted as direct payment, it can be easily converted into fiat currency to buy what you wish to buy. There is nothing more liquid than gold.

Comic books...not so much.

neither comics nor gold is accepted at 99% of all retail establishments. Gold WILL be accepted everywhere after the apocalypse. That has always been golds trump card over cash and everything else.