• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GOLD or COMICS - Which will be the better investment?

Which asset class will increase more in value during the next 5 years?  

375 members have voted

1. 1. Which asset class will increase more in value during the next 5 years?

218 posts in this topic

Buy low, sell high. I'm no expert, but I think buying gold while it's at its highest is not the best use of cash. That bubble may likely burst like real estate and tech stocks. Comics are not the greatest investment, but even with highest graded pre-75 slabbed books, I bet there's good investment bargains out there.

Buy low, sell high. I'm no expert, but I think buying gold while it's at its highest is not the best use of cash. That bubble may likely burst like real estate and tech stocks. Comics are not the greatest investment, but even with highest graded pre-75 slabbed books, I bet there's good investment bargains out there.

Exactly,I was buying gold in 2006 like $600 dollars an ounce, I really wouldn`t buy it at $1000 an ounce and with the comics I don`t see many investments out there. just about everybody knows the keys.I don`t see another Showcase 22 coming around for awhile, that was a perfect storm.

Long-term, I think gold will do fine, even from these levels. Short-term, it is caught up in the same liquidity mini-bubble that is propelling stocks, bonds and commodities higher and higher. That won't last forever, however, and when it ends, gold will not be immune from the ensuing correction. The question is, though, from what level will it correct? (shrug)

Richard Russell of Dow Theory Letters makes an eloquent case for the long-term gold outlook:

Today our creditors, mainly China, know that the US cannot possibly solve its huge unfunded debt problems the honest way by cutting back on spending and saving. But wait, there is one exception, the US could solve its debt problem with its overseas creditors by reneging on its debts or by devaluing the dollar. The idea of either of those "solutions" strikes fear in the heart of our creditors. And they ask themselves, "How good is the full faith and credit of the United States?" And they answer their own questions. Their answer is that "We better diversify OUT of dollars." One way to diversify is to buy items of intrinsic value: real estate, mines, corporations, silver, platinum and particularly -- gold.

The Big Question -- Why gold? Example -- Let's say you're a multimillionaire. You're seriously worried about what to do with your millions in savings. You don't want to keep your money under your mattress or in your Frigidaire, so where should you keep it? US T-bills are now in a state of zero or even negative interest -- you pay the government to hold your money, but you're SAFE. T-bills have behind them the full faith and credit of the United States. Great, but, now you're thinking the unthinkable -- How good is the full faith and credit of the US? There are rumors that the credit rating of the US could actually be lowered. And with the massive unfunded debt of the US, that could happen, and worse -- the dollar could cave in. What to do?

And you ask yourself, "What's safer than T-bills or even top-grade foreign short-term debt?" The answer is that there is one item that's safer -- gold. Gold represents intrinsic value in and of itself and by itself. Gold needs no nation to back or guarantee its value. Gold is no single nation's liability. Furthermore, gold has no maturity date and gold is so safe that it doesn't need to pay interest to those who hold it. You decide to put your savings into gold rather than T-bills. And unlike T-bills today, gold doesn't depend on anyone's "full faith and credit."

The fact is that the so-called "opportunity cost" of buying or holding gold is zero today. T-bills pay you nothing; The fact is that it's cheaper, safer, and it makes more sense to hold gold at this time than at almost any time in my memory. And a lot of knowledgeable, big money investors are doing just that -- buying and holding gold for safety and as a store of value.

Again, that does NOT make gold immune to corrections, even potentially severe ones, especially since this liquidity boomlet is taking up ALL asset values indiscriminately. But, it does make a lot of sense if your time horizon is long enough. I don't know about you guys, but I just can't get that same sense of security from owning a bunch of comic books. There may be a reasonably liquid market for (some) comics now, but if things get really, really bad, there will always be a market for your gold - not sure that will be true for comics. :sorry:

Stocks-Put money in diversified mutual funds. I prefer index funds which are tied to the S&P 500 and the emerging markets. Yes, the know the p/e ratios are high for the S&P 500 and other stock markets; however I believe we are still in the best buying opportunity of our lifetimes. Yes, a correction will come.....but the deals are still to be had.

As for gold-it’s a bubble waiting to burst.

Comics-I love them as collectibles, not as investments.

Gold is nowhere near its historic peak. When adjusted for inflation, the last gold bubble burst at around $2000 in current worth. $1500 sounds perfect feasible to me, and I'm just sorry I wasn't taking my coin shop buddy's advice and buying kruggerands or maple leafs at $20 over spot market 6 or 7 years ago...at around $450/ounce

i pretty much agree with this. personally, i would never invest a substantial amount of money in either. i would rather have gold stock than actual physical ingots which are not nearly as liquid. i would rather go after high dividend stocks for long term investments. i think i read of one with an annual pay of somewhere around 30%, which would make a great retirement. and of course according to the buy low sell high rule, land is pretty good right now.