• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GOLD or COMICS - Which will be the better investment?

Which asset class will increase more in value during the next 5 years?  

375 members have voted

1. 1. Which asset class will increase more in value during the next 5 years?

218 posts in this topic

Seriously people, let's get some perspective. Physical gold is a store of wealth, and has been since it was discovered. Physical gold is accepted as payment for everything, anywhere in the world. If it's not accepted as direct payment, it can be easily converted into fiat currency to buy what you wish to buy. There is nothing more liquid than gold.

Comic books...not so much.

neither comics nor gold is accepted at 99% of all retail establishments. Gold WILL be accepted everywhere after the apocalypse. That has always been golds trump card over cash and everything else.

The fact that gold is not accepted at face value any more is all due to the brain washing of the fiat currency brain washers.

Still, his point is that it is more liquid than anything else if you are in a pinch.

but a "real" at retail" Boss suit costs more like 1200-2500... an outlet version isnt a "real" Boss suit at its "real" price.

I like the A, B C argument. All this gold talk when gold is already at its highs needs to be taken in context... no matter how scary or convincing the latest A, B C arguments sound in times of economic uncertainty.

Really, so the Hugh Boss Factory in Cleveland that assembles suits on site and then ships them around the world are not "real"?

Sorry, these aren't made in China, they're made in an All American City!

"real' Hugo Boss suits are sold at heir flagship stores at their exorbitant pricing.

"Not real" Hugo Boss items are old at discounts at outlet malls.

Whether they are exactly the same construction nowadays I dont know... in the beginning of outlet malls, things were cheaper because they were flawed merchandise, containing a minor flaw that otherwise would have been tossed.Bt they lucked into a way to sell them to people who dodnt mind the flaw as long as it had the brand. However, as outlet malls caught on, and people expected 100% original products with tint flaws, companies started making two levels of products: full retail and those made for outlet mall direct at a cheaper price point. Today years past the maturing of the outlet mall business plan, maybe ALL products are identical, made to the lesser price point---and only the environment dictates the retail price, allowing the upscale stores to get twice the price for the same exact crapp.

my point was that when faced with a outlet mall Boss suit for 400 and an upscale store location suit for 2000, which one do we use for the purposes of this discussion? The cheap one or the expensive one? the "real" one, or the real one? makes a difference if we are to peg an ounce of gold to it.

when that saying was coined I dare say sssuits were available in a tidier range of pricing, as far fewer gents required a fine suit of clothes.

Can't say I know but I suspect the outlet malls are now used for self-liquidation. Why let somebody buy &liquidate your unsold inventory for 15% of cost when you can sell it yourself down the street for 50% of retail.

Seriously people, let's get some perspective. Physical gold is a store of wealth, and has been since it was discovered. Physical gold is accepted as payment for everything, anywhere in the world. If it's not accepted as direct payment, it can be easily converted into fiat currency to buy what you wish to buy. There is nothing more liquid than gold.

neither comics nor gold is accepted at 99% of all retail establishments. Gold WILL be accepted everywhere after the apocalypse. That has always been golds trump card over cash and everything else.

The fact that gold is not accepted at face value any more is all due to the brain washing of the fiat currency brain washers.

Still, his point is that it is more liquid than anything else if you are in a pinch.

but its NOT any more liquid than a stock certificate in todays world. We are still civilized beyond trading gold for goods at the general store, Thats not brainwashing. Thats just how we live today. Do you think it took a lot of arm twisting to settle on a system of paper with numbers on it? People like numbers. That way they can tell a 9.8 note from a 9.9

just bringing this full circle!

but its NOT any more liquid than a stock certificate in todays world. We are still civilized beyond trading gold for goods at the general store, Thats not brainwashing. Thats just how we live today. Do you think it took a lot of arm twisting to settle on a system of paper with numbers on it? People like numbers. That way they can tell a 9.8 note from a 9.9

Actually it is more liquid. You can walk into any bank, coin shop or currency shop and they will take your gold while they will not take your stock certificate...and there are more and more people out there that will take your gold for goods. I will.

Lots of people don't actually realize was paper money is. I know I didn't for the longest time. It's basically like an IOU from the government. What happens when the government is bankrupt? The IOU is no good.

How about if you pay with gold. Will they take gold as payment?
I was going to ask this question in the next FS thread I choose to make a purchase in.

I will definitely accept gold as payment. Any time. Silver too.

Man...if I knew, I would have sent you a maple leaf and some extra $$ for my GL 1 purchase. lol

How about if you pay with gold. Will they take gold as payment?
I was going to ask this question in the next FS thread I choose to make a purchase in.

I will definitely accept gold as payment. Any time. Silver too.

Man...if I knew, I would have sent you a maple leaf and some extra $$ for my GL 1 purchase. lol

:frustrated:

I see now that you said "in a pinch". I say that both seller and buyer need be in a pinch. Otherwise the shopkeeper will just reply "and what am I gonna do with a piece of gold buddy?" anticipating his own trouble unloading the stuff got a can of peaches and a pack of cigs.

Lots of people don't actually realize was paper money is. I know I didn't for the longest time. It's basically like an IOU from the government. What happens when the government is bankrupt? The IOU is no good.

thats true. but if you believe ven in todays uncertainty that that is a possibility, stop wasting your time and energy with comics! Otherwise, hunker down, save your money and keep living and this will pass.... with winners and losers depending on bets they took during this mess.

Actually it is more liquid. You can walk into any bank, coin shop or currency shop and they will take your gold while they will not take your stock certificate...and there are more and more people out there that will take your gold for goods. I will.

whats ironic abut this statement is that each of these places that will accept your gold will replace it with what? yup: paper currency! Why would you trade your irreplaceable store of value for more worthless IOU derived paper?

whats ironic abut this statement is that each of these places that will accept your gold will replace it with what? yup: paper currency! Why would you trade your irreplaceable store of value for more worthless IOU derived paper?

I see the irony in the statement. The "worthless paper" would be transitory (temporary) for most purchases...just a means of using what the government has provided to facilitate moving from one commodity to another. I wouldn't keep all my wealth (if I had any) in paper permanently but there always has to be a little for "liquidity" because that is what people expect to be paid in. The days of hiding money under the mattress are gone.

They never should have left the gold standard. Bastiches.

Just have to go with the flow in regards to what is being accepted at that time. There is still faith in paper money, so that's why it is still what is most commonly exchanged for goods. If there comes a time when the public lose faith in paper money, then..... :eek:

if it's good enough for every established nation in the world, it's good enough for me. i suspect a lot of people who invest heavily in gold will be selling it off at a loss when the time comes. if you are worried about total financial collapse of this nation, invest in grain and ammunition, because the guy raising chickens in his back yard will have no use for gold

I see the irony in the statement. The "worthless paper" would be transitory (temporary) for most purchases...just a means of using what the government has provided to facilitate moving from one commodity to another. I wouldn't keep all my wealth (if I had any) in paper permanently but there always has to be a little for "liquidity" because that is what people expect to be paid in. The days of hiding money under the mattress are gone.

Leaving the gold standard is the easiest way for governments to legally steal from their citizens. Then they spend recklessly with no consequences except for a lower standard of living down the road.

if it's good enough for every established nation in the world, it's good enough for me. i suspect a lot of people who invest heavily in gold will be selling it off at a loss when the time comes. if you are worried about total financial collapse of this nation, invest in grain and ammunition, because the guy raising chickens in his back yard will have no use for gold

That's kind of the point of the discussion. It has been good enough for the rest of the world until recently...but that is not the case any more. A lot of people are not buying gold and silver to invest in hopes of an increase in value, they are buying to prevent a loss in case of an economic collapse.

That's kind of the point of the discussion. It has been good enough for the rest of the world until recently...but that is not the case any more. A lot of people are not buying gold and silver to invest in hopes of an increase in value, they are buying to prevent a loss in case of an economic collapse.

"a lot of people" is a relative term. pretty much all trade is done through paper money worldwide. i think the number of people dumping their savings into gold and silver are a fraction of the number of people dumping their money into high interest savings, bonds, stocks, and so on.

"a lot of people" is a relative term. pretty much all trade is done through paper money worldwide. i think the number of people dumping their savings into gold and silver are a fraction of the number of people dumping their money into high interest savings, bonds, stocks, and so on.

I did mean "a lot of people" relatively as I was talking about the ones actually purchasing gold and silver.

I hear you. Just throwing out my 2c for what it's worth.

Leaving the gold standard is the easiest way for governments to legally steal from their citizens. Then they spend recklessly with no consequences except for a lower standard of living down the road.

I read an interesting commentary a while back that part of the reason the US left the Gold Standard was that France and a couple of other countries started to exchange their gold backed $USD for physical gold. As this started to draw down on their reserves during a time when they were fighting an expensive overseas war, the pundit argued that US gov't had no choice but to go off of the Gold Standard in order to expand monetary supplies enough to cover its bills.

neither comics nor gold is accepted at 99% of all retail establishments.

If it's not accepted as direct payment, it can be easily converted into fiat currency to buy what you wish to buy.

but its NOT any more liquid than a stock certificate in todays world. We are still civilized beyond trading gold for goods at the general store, Thats not brainwashing. Thats just how we live today.

:screwy:

What is Enron stock worth?

You think trading gold for goods is "less civilized"...?

If I could, I'd trade every "dollar" I have for gold. But, sadly, we've had generations of fiat brainwash change our culture and make that impractical.

Do you think it took a lot of arm twisting to settle on a system of paper with numbers on it?

Um.

Yeah...it did.

For 140 years, gold was the foundation, in name if not always in practice, of the US monetary system. They even made gold into fancy little discs that had numbers on them...$1, $2.50. $3, $5, $10, and $20.

People rejected paper currency on a large scale, because when it came time to trade that paper for the actual metal that it "promised", "oh, gosh, we don't have any more. Sorry."

Then, the POTUS illegally used his executive power to sieze all gold privately held, paid $20.67 per ounce for it in "cash", then, after that was accomplished, revalued an ounce of gold to $35, making that "cash" worth just a bit more than HALF what it was previously, almost overnight.

The only reason he got away with it was because the nation was in the grip of a horrific Depression, and he was incredibly popular...those who knew better...including his Treasury Secretary, Henry Morgenthau, Jr...didn't have the will to stand up to him.