• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do SIGNATURES hurt the book?

124 posts in this topic

Until I saw a Frazetta signature, I would have said "hurt the book." His signature is "art" in itself and those signatures of his that I have seen show excellent taste in placement that does not detract from the cover art. I cannot say the same for anyone else. Some of the "big" names in the industry deface the book with a talentless scrawl. (tsk) So, "OK" for Frank, "hurt the book" for everyone else.

Does this signature look like it could hurt any books value?

SSignature.jpg

I think this is a case where it enhances the book significantly.

SSThunda1.jpg

This debate reminds me of classic car owners.

Some want the car to be as original as possible and go to great lengths to seek out original parts.

Some take a classic car and turn it into a hot rod.

Some take a classic car and keep it mostly original but put in modern conveniences such as air conditioning or a CD player.

I liken the first example to a regular Universal Label. The second example to a book with 36 signatures and a sketch or three.

The last example would be like having one or two signatures on a book. Especially Frazetta or Kirby. They have such beautiful signatures.

As others have mentioned, most signatures suck in appearance. They are usually put in spots on the cover that seem to have been a direct intention of not presenting well. Sort of like "Okay guy. I'll sign your book for money, because you are gonna make more money off of it. So I will put it right here on this heroes face so that you know who is on top in this relationship between you and I".

How else can you explain it. Especially with Stan Lee. He's a freakin artist for criminy sakes. He knows immediately where it would look good and where it would not look good. It is intentional for sure. A slap in the face.

This debate reminds me of classic car owners.

Some want the car to be as original as possible and go to great lengths to seek out original parts.

Some take a classic car and turn it into a hot rod.

Some take a classic car and keep it mostly original but put in modern conveniences such as air conditioning or a CD player.

I liken the first example to a regular Universal Label. The second example to a book with 36 signatures and a sketch or three.

The last example would be like having one or two signatures on a book. Especially Frazetta or Kirby. They have such beautiful signatures.

As others have mentioned, most signatures suck in appearance. They are usually put in spots on the cover that seem to have been a direct intention of not presenting well. Sort of like "Okay guy. I'll sign your book for money, because you are gonna make more money off of it. So I will put it right here on this heroes face so that you know who is on top in this relationship between you and I".

How else can you explain it. Especially with Stan Lee. He's a freakin artist for criminy sakes. He knows immediately where it would look good and where it would not look good. It is intentional for sure. A slap in the face.

You're right. A lot of the books that are shown in General are put here specifically for the signature haters. Visit the Signature Room and you'll see that the witnesses are very good at getting the placement correct on most examples. :)

I don't think I'd get a book signed that wasn't all about the artist signing it - Frazetta books are all about the art. Getting a Showcase #4 signed by say Carmine Infantino, would, in my opinion, not enhance the value. But that is just me. Still, I probably wouldn't ever get a major key autographed, as I think it would make it difficult to sell.

I was one of the first people to get both of these sigs on this book:

avengers4cgcss-1.jpg

and I now know that there are alot of people who have gotten the same double sig, and just as many who have either Stan Lee or Joe Simon on this book. People can have their own opinions about signing expensive books, but this is a grail for me and I dont plan on letting it go - but I do like to think it would fetch alot more coin than a blue label book in the same grade

Captain-America-%23111---9.2.jpg

I try to get every cover I get signed done in such a way that the signatures enhance the cover. Sometimes due to time constraints or other elements you have no control over a signature wont work. But when it does :cloud9:

Until I saw a Frazetta signature, I would have said "hurt the book." His signature is "art" in itself and those signatures of his that I have seen show excellent taste in placement that does not detract from the cover art. I cannot say the same for anyone else. Some of the "big" names in the industry deface the book with a talentless scrawl. (tsk) So, "OK" for Frank, "hurt the book" for everyone else.

Does this signature look like it could hurt any books value?

SSignature.jpg

I think this is a case where it enhances the book significantly.

SSThunda1.jpg

Doesn't get any better than that. :cloud9:

PS: The original signature works into the artwork so well, I did not notice it at first.

Stan Lee is an artist? (shrug)

Haven't you ever seen his sketches?

He's aces at drawing cockroaches.

lol

He certainly is at that. I wonder when he handed this back to the owner with a big smile if the fellow looked down and said, "Old man, you have 10 seconds to run before I start swinging!"

ASM129_lee_spider.jpg

lol

He certainly is at that. I wonder when he handed this back to the owner with a big smile if the fellow looked down and said, "Old man, you have 10 seconds to run before I start swinging!"

ASM129_lee_spider.jpg

Oh my. :ohnoez: