• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can P*X slabs be submitted to CGC?

18 posts in this topic

My apology upfront if its heresy to mention the "Others". However in this case I'm just trying to send more business CGC's way. Please don't shoot me.

I don't collect the "other" slabbed comics. But I have one I'd like to send to CGC so that it can fit in with the rest of my collection. I couldn't find this particular comic in a CGC 9.8... so this was my only alternative. Just not sure how that would work out for me if I send it in to CGC?

Will CGC accept this?

Does it go as a reslab or need to be completely regraded? (I'm guessing a regrade)

Will they knock the grade?

Does it have to be removed from slab before submission (if regrade)?

i think you would be better off cracking it out and then just sending it in...

I respectfully disagree, I would send it in the slab for risk aversion reasons.

- The P*X slabs are a little more tricky to open.

- Safer shipping in the slab.

Will CGC accept this?

Does it go as a reslab or need to be completely regraded? (I'm guessing a regrade)

Will they knock the grade?

Does it have to be removed from slab before submission (if regrade)?

Yes.

Regrade.

Most likely.

No.

Why? The people who crack the slab and get the book ready for grading aren't the ones actually grading it - the CGC graders won't have a clue as to whether a book was previously slabbed by PGX or not.

Why? The people who crack the slab and get the book ready for grading aren't the ones actually grading it - the CGC graders won't have a clue as to whether a book was previously slabbed by PGX or not.

Or so they say.

Or so they say.

So? They also say that your book is a 9.8 and you believe that.

As far as the grade goes. Grading is subjective at the best of times. I have seen PGX books go up and down in grade. It is the restoration check that most collectors don't trust with the PGX. Though the CGC themselves have missed restoration and will probably miss some in the future. PGX has gotten a bit better at the resto. check. But not near enough to be in the same league as the CGC check. CGC has the best restoration detection experts by far.

If your confident the book is really a 9.8 and is restoration free. Send it to the fine folks in Sarasota. I'd leave it in the PGX slab. It's simply better protection for the book while it is being transported. The CGC will de slab it, re grade it, slab it, send it back to you.

I own one PGX slabbed book. It is a Civil War #1 Sketch Variant 9.9 White Pages. It is truly the nicest condition book I have ever seen/owned. It is better than any CGC 9.8 I have ever seen, that's for sure. I am thinking about sending it in to the CGC. I'm confident it comes back at a 9.9 or a perfect 10 White Pages copy.

Let us know how your re sub to the CGC works out for you.

PGX books have been submitted in the past and have received higher grades from CGC.
I've sent COPPER/MODERN age books that were graded by PGX as 9.8 and they have always come back to me in CGC 9.8. I cant speak for anything lower then copper age.

I respectfully disagree, I would send it in the slab for risk aversion reasons.

- The P*X slabs are a little more tricky to open.

- Safer shipping in the slab.

No idea why you think PGX slabs are harder to break out. I just did a few a few weeks ago and they came out very easily with no issue.

I would say crack out and just pack safely and you should be good to go. It will also be cheaper shipping cost.

Good topic. I have a book graded by PGX with a corner chip (shipping damage) and plan to submit it to CGC some day, but the same thing concerns me. It really comes down to how well CGC safeguards the graders from potential bias. It would be the easiest thing in the world to award a book that's "on the fence" a lower grade just to make a point that the "other company" is not as reliable and "doesn't catch all the defects." Still, it has to be a lot safer to ship in the slab—regardless of whose slab.

I would rather have a book shipped raw then in a slab after what I have seen recently. When I was sorting a fair size collection of slabbed books I noticed this issue while I was trying to investigate something else.

This issue is from standing the books straight up. I have heard of people that keep their slabs lying down which I now have come to the conclusion is a smart thing.

My diagram belows shows what I am talking about where the top and bottom of the inner well are not flat and on the right and left side have those slopes. I have seen the edge where the slopes are pushing up agaisnt the book and damaging them. It wasn't just one book it was quite a few and especially on any books that had any sort of page overhang whatsoever.

90128.jpg.ec06a1cc1c0f8c4c68546eb91a26ee64.jpg

I would rather have a book shipped raw then in a slab after what I have seen recently. When I was sorting a fair size collection of slabbed books I noticed this issue while I was trying to investigate something else.

This issue is from standing the books straight up. I have heard of people that keep their slabs lying down which I now have come to the conclusion is a smart thing.

My diagram belows shows what I am talking about where the top and bottom of the inner well are not flat and on the right and left side have those slopes. I have seen the edge where the slopes are pushing up agaisnt the book and damaging them. It wasn't just one book it was quite a few and especially on any books that had any sort of page overhang whatsoever.

Ouch! I hate to see that sort of thing.