• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age reading room.

97 posts in this topic

ASM13FJun64.jpg

ASM13 June 1964 (March 1964/newsstand)

Anytime I read an old Spider-Man, I am in awe of Ditko's work. He could draw in a way that no reprint can capture.

ASM13p7.jpg

It was nice to "see" Liz again in this story. I probably should pull out #28 again. I was always touched by her "different worlds" good-bye to Peter.

ASM13FJun64.jpg

ASM13 June 1964 (March 1964/newsstand)

Anytime I read an old Spider-Man, I am in awe of Ditko's work. He could draw in a way that no reprint can capture.

ASM13p7.jpg

It was nice to "see" Liz again in this story. I probably should pull out #28 again. I was always touched by her "different worlds" good-bye to Peter.

:headbang:

For the past couple years, I've tried to limit myself on ASM Goblin books. I've got them all, and the plan has always been to stick to those books via upgrade.

Wish you hadn't posted this. Makes me realize I've got to get some of the other books first. This book and #15 (Kraven) were the most fun for me to read when I was younger (via Masterworks, first editions...that I lost). Gotta get one.

For the past couple years, I've tried to limit myself on ASM Goblin books. I've got them all, and the plan has always been to stick to those books via upgrade.

Wish you hadn't posted this. Makes me realize I've got to get some of the other books first. This book and #15 (Kraven) were the most fun for me to read when I was younger (via Masterworks, first editions...that I lost). Gotta get one.

I think that early Marvel Ditko is always one purchase that you can never regret. (thumbs u

As I implied earlier, the reprints of Ditko lose the quality of his inked line, -- not to mention all the pages that purport to be Ditko in Masterworks, but are merely redrawn work by modern artists.

Just received this very nice ASM 9 from Tortoise.

ASM #9 Feb. 1964 (on the newsstands November 1963)

ASM9FFeb64.jpg

ASM9RFeb64.jpg

It's a great early Spidey adventure with introductory versions and foreshadowing of all the themes and motifs that would culminate with the best of Ditko's work in a couple of year's time. Aunt May suffers her first major illness but an expensive operation saves her. Peter suffers a fair bit of guilt in faking pictures that he sells to J.J.J. in exchange for the much needed money. He later assages his guilt in giving J.J.J. some valuable photos for free. Betty proves herself to be a true friend and love match with her helping to care for Aunt May. Max Dillon, Electro, is a complex villain whose desire for jewels, money and fame lead him from an initial remorse at hurting Spider-Man, at their first encounter, to attempts to kill Spidey during a prison break. Of course, J.J.J. is his loveable self.

As the staples (shiny) are off the spine and around the back, I was able to take a nice scan of the first page.

ASM9Feb64p1.jpg

Just received this very nice ASM 9 from Tortoise.

ASM #9 Feb. 1964 (on the newsstands November 1963)

ASM9FFeb64.jpg

ASM9RFeb64.jpg

It's a great early Spidey adventure with introductory versions and foreshadowing of all the themes and motifs that would culminate with the best of Ditko's work in a couple of year's time. Aunt May suffers her first major illness but an expensive operation saves her. Peter suffers a fair bit of guilt in faking pictures that he sells to J.J.J. in exchange for the much needed money. He later assages his guilt in giving J.J.J. some valuable photos for free. Betty proves herself to be a true friend and love match with her helping to care for Aunt May. Max Dillon, Electro, is a complex villain whose desire for jewels, money and fame lead him from an initial remorse at hurting Spider-Man, at their first encounter, to attempts to kill Spidey during a prison break. Of course, J.J.J. is his loveable self.

As the staples (shiny) are off the spine and around the back, I was able to take a nice scan of the first page.

ASM9Feb64p1.jpg

that's one of my favorite Spidey splash pages (thumbs u

I just finished reading Strange Tales 126- 146.....the Dormammu / Eternity story arc.....AWESOME stuff....Ditko obviously LOVED that strip. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

That was a great series of "strange tales". I have often thought that that run would make for a great movie. I'll take odds that the Wachowski Brothers (Matrix) took the multi-image attack/defense right from Ditko.

ST131p6.jpg

Strange Tales #131 April 1965 (on the newsstand January 1965)

Picked up a copy of Hulk Special #1 (10/68) at C2E2. It was the last issue I needed to complete my volume 1 run (not counting the first six). I know the Steranko cover gets a lot of attention (rightly so), but I think the story with the Inhumans gets forgotten. And after reading it, it appears that Medusa was forgotten as well. I don't recall what was going on in Marvel continuity back then, but she was strangely absent in this 51 pager. Still enjoyable, but not complete (IMO) without someone getting whipped around by long strands of red hair.

Current purchases and reads:

Plastic Man #7 (1st S.A. Woozy Winks and G.A Plas). This completes my SA and BA Plas run...

Atom and Hawkman #43: 1st S.A. Gentleman Ghost

Jimmy Olsen 123 and 125: Wraps up my post-1964 Olsen issues...

Little Sad Sack 12, 14, 19 - Fun reads for this short-run Sad Sack title...#19 (11/67) was the last issue of the series and the first Sad Sack comic to be canceled...

I recently picked up a very nice copy of Sgt. Fury #18. Freed from its CGC prison, it's an early Fury key.

I'll post a SPOILER ALERT here (skip the fourth image of this post) but most Fury fans understand the significance of the issue.

Sgt. Fury #18 May 1965 (newsstand, March 1965)

SF18FMay65.jpg

Back cover for those who enjoy pictures of Albert Dorne

SF18RMay65.jpg

The interior pencils are credited to Ayers but page one and twenty are by Kirby. Undoubtedly, Lee or Kirby felt it important that this particular turning point in Fury's life be "documented" by its creators.

Excuse the digital photos, as the staples would not allow the interior to be scanned without risk of damage.

SF18p1.jpg

Page 20

SF18p20.jpg

Thanks go to rube11 who helped make this book part of my collection. It's been quite a few years since I last owned a copy of #18.

Just read Thor #137 for the first time. This was one of two silver Thor's that I needed and I was happy to get a nice copy at an even nicer price a few months back.

I believe this is the first appearance of Ulik the Troll. If not, Jack Kirby did an awful nice splash that is first-appearance worthy.

This was my kind of Thor book. A tale set in Asgard, the Warriors Three and Norse dialogue everywhere. And don't forget the 'Tales of Asgard' backup featuring Hogun.

One final note. At the bottom of the Bullpen page, the newest members of the MMMS are listed. Two names of note: James Shooter (the James Shooter?) and Donald Blake (In a Thor comic? Perfection).

Those Thors were great. I just bought a solid copy of FF Annual # 6 at the LCS....hadn't read it in years. I bought it off the stands in the summer of '68, while my Mother was pregnant with my sister. I remember reading it in the station wagon.....I think it was the first birth of a major character in comics (Franklin Richards). Kirby's machinery that generated the portal to the Negative Zone was far more elaborate than I had recalled....it almost looks like it could work lol .....great story, I think I'll keep it. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a fiend of jesus) (thumbs u

Reading ASM 11 & 12 this week. A very good two-part Doc Ock story.

Doc Ock is very menacing in 11. My only real complaint is the lack of background art.

101475.jpg

We do get a great iconic ending panel though.

101476.jpg

In 12, we see a conversation between both halves of Peter Parker's psyche.

101477.jpg

Poor Doc Ock gets a perp walk and derided by New York's finest. lol

101479.jpg

this should be a sticky thread. I posted an exact dupe of it because I didn't see this one first:

I broke out three 10 centers I had not previously read and lost myself in some 50's DC goodness, Brave and the Bold1, 11 and Superman 117.

Have to say the B&B 1 was the best of the three as it contained the origins of three characters, Golden Gladiator (Shades of Sparticus it even had a character named Crixus in it) Viking Prince and my favorite of the three, the Silent Knight.