• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are CGC slabs suitable for displaying without fading?

21 posts in this topic

I keep, as good sense dictates, my comics in a cool dark place. They only see light when I get them out. There is a desire, however, with slabbed books, to display them.....because they are so well protected. I am wondering though, if there is protection from light in the case itself......or is it better to continue to keep "slabbed" books in a cool dark place?

Anyone have any experience with displaying their slabs on walls and fading or no fading of books colors?

As everyone else has said, CGC slabs do not provide any UV protection. However, if the room you choose to display them has zero sunlight exposure, I think there is a way to light the room where the books are only exposed to indirect light which is "safer" than direct interior lighting. Such as aiming the lights at the ceiling so that it bounces off the celing and lights the room indirectly. I read somewhere that indirect light has significantly less UV radiation than direct light. But still caution should be used.

You could always check these out.
Are these even in the U.S.?
No, but they can ship them here
How much will that cost me? Dosen't anyone stateside have them?
I've purchased some slabs from them in the past, unfortunately, shipping is not cheap :(

I'm planning to buy some frameitagainsam.com frames and insert high quality photocopies of my books. Keep your books in the dark.

I've bought from frameitagainsam.com and I love em.

That is a good idea Dave

I'm planning to buy some frameitagainsam.com frames and insert high quality photocopies of my books. Keep your books in the dark.

I've bought from frameitagainsam.com and I love em.

That is a good idea Dave

My second. :acclaim: My first was a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

I keep, as good sense dictates, my comics in a cool dark place. They only see light when I get them out. There is a desire, however, with slabbed books, to display them.....because they are so well protected. I am wondering though, if there is protection from light in the case itself......or is it better to continue to keep "slabbed" books in a cool dark place?

Anyone have any experience with displaying their slabs on walls and fading or no fading of books colors?

LOOK, if a book was only in mylar, and you expose the book to light constantly, worst of all, near a window with direct sunlight, would one expect it to fade? damn straight!

Some of the best framers in NYC that use archival materials and UV ( Ultra Violet) Glass for its clients, including the the Met, will tell you despite the UV glass, if you have it in direct and indirect sunlight, it will fade over time.

You listening big Fishler?

So why should a CGC slab be void of this, even if UV protected ?