• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

last GREAT major event?????

16 posts in this topic

I've liked quite a few quite a bit. I thought Annihilation was great modern Marvel Cosmic story, serving a great update and launch for titles that are still going strong (relatively). I thought 52 was excellent,and that's before you even consider that it was weekly and never late. Planet Hulk is as good a Hulk story there is (though I agree with the above thought that World War Hulk threw all of the promise away, and was essentially a waste of having Romita Jr. do Hulk).

If we can move into a prior age, VALIANT's Unity remains my standard. What would come after would fall apart more and more as time went on, but in itself it felt like the most natural culmination/convergence I've seen leading up to a "event". Certainly, post-Unity was betrayed (with some very notable exceptions) by people who either didn't know what they were doing or knew perfectly well how to spoon something up. I tend to think that it's a mistake when fans commonly recommend "pre-Unity" and fail to mention that the crossover itself is a damn fine read.

I also thought Vertigo's Children's Crusade was excellent.

Planet Hulk was sick.

The question is, what was the last great X-men crossover/event? It's been some time.

Age of Apocalypse? Personally, I really enjoyed X-tinction Agenda. Even Fall of the Mutants and Inferno.

I wasn't too big of an X-cutioner's Song, Operation Zero Tolerance, or Fatal Attractions fan. I really didn't mind Phalanx Covenant as much (had potential). And Onslaught? Not my jam either.

Pat

Planet Hulk was sick.

The question is, what was the last great X-men crossover/event? It's been some time.

Age of Apocalypse? Personally, I really enjoyed X-tinction Agenda. Even Fall of the Mutants and Inferno.

I wasn't too big of an X-cutioner's Song, Operation Zero Tolerance, or Fatal Attractions fan. I really didn't mind Phalanx Covenant as much (had potential). And Onslaught? Not my jam either.

Pat

Mutant Massacre was what got me hooked on X-Men. Wolverine vs. Sabretooth back when Sabretooth was a badass.

Age of Apocalypse was great as well, but only if you're very famliar with all the characters.

If we can move into a prior age, VALIANT's Unity remains my standard. What would come after would fall apart more and more as time went on, but in itself it felt like the most natural culmination/convergence I've seen leading up to a "event". Certainly, post-Unity was betrayed (with some very notable exceptions) by people who either didn't know what they were doing or knew perfectly well how to spoon something up. I tend to think that it's a mistake when fans commonly recommend "pre-Unity" and fail to mention that the crossover itself is a damn fine read.

Great point. If you have not read the Unity x-over you are missing out. That was a great storyline, and a lot of the Valiant titles picked up readers in droves as a result of it IMHO. (thumbs u

Great point. If you have not read the Unity x-over you are missing out. That was a great storyline, and a lot of the Valiant titles picked up readers in droves as a result of it IMHO. (thumbs u

One of the other qualities it has that I haven't ran into that often is that it seemed semi-natural or organic in terms of storytelling. While I don't doubt a financial mandate, the story had creative reasons for existing. Though I'm just young to have not been buying comics off the rack when the first Crisis came out, usually events are more often announced into being rather than feeling necessary. Too often, I find myself having to be talked into one. As I recall, VALIANT titles were picking up steam, getting individual attention (for whatever reason, good stories and/or speculative ambitions--they do not have to be mutually exclusive) and just when you wanted to ask yourself,"What are these about?", you get the (what I'd call, especially relative to its era) the iconic Unity#0 cover by BWS with the characters front and center. It seemed like a question was asked, and the publisher answered. Usually when an event is announced, my reaction resemble "For What?".

Someone above mentioned Identity Crisis. Love, love, love! Even with a sloppy ending, I love everything else about the miniseries that brought me back to comics.