• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the best way to determine OSPG values for the 'tween grades

22 posts in this topic

What's the best way to determine the values of the 'tween grades in OSPG,

You know, the value of the grades between a 2.0 and a 4.0, a 4.0 and a 6.0, a 6.0 and an 8.0?

Do you divide the difference between the two and add this - for example:

a 2.0 = $500, a 4.0 = $800, the difference between the two: $300, divided by 2 = $150.

Using this formula, the value of a 3.0 would be determined at $500 (value of a 2.0) + $150 (the sum of dividing $300 the difference between a 2.0 and a 4.0) = $650.

And does anyone know why doesn't OSPG list the values for these tween grades?

Using this formula, the value of a 3.0 would be determined at $500 (value of a 2.0) + $150 (the sum of dividing $300 the difference between a 2.0 and a 4.0) = $650.

I like that method. (thumbs u

I like that method. (thumbs u

That's how I calculate the values of the tweeners too. I also go so far as to figure the value for a 9.4 by adding the difference between a 9.2 and 9.0 to the 9.2 value, although realistically, this might be undervaluing the higher grades which often go up in value in a non-linear curve. How do some of you others figure out the value of the higher grades? For example, 9.0 = $100, 9.2 = $140, 9.4 = ?, 9.6 = ?, 9.8 = ?. I know there is no set formula in all cases (ex: when high grades are rare), but just curious in general.

Thanks for the confirmation and also the additional insights. I do still wonder why OSPG doesn't list the values for these 'tween grades in the first place.

I know it's already a big book, but it certainly makes it tricky to give or determine values on the cuff, especially on the convention floor :P

. . . unless you brought a calculator or your buddy the HAL 10000.

Even easier, the OPG employs a 1:2:3 ratio for almost every book it values in Good, VG, and Fine.

I just add two adjacent grades together, then divide by 2.

F/VF? Add Fine and VF together, divide by 2, and voila!

It may not be precise, but it's more than close enough for the purpose.

OPG doesn't list in between values because there's been no real demand for them, and their pricing is so formulaic, there's not likely to be much.

What's the best way to determine the values of the 'tween grades in OSPG,

You know, the value of the grades between a 2.0 and a 4.0, a 4.0 and a 6.0, a 6.0 and an 8.0?

Do you divide the difference between the two and add this - for example:

a 2.0 = $500, a 4.0 = $800, the difference between the two: $300, divided by 2 = $150.

And does anyone know why doesn't OSPG list the values for these tween grades?

thats what I do

If a book is for example 6.0 $18 and 8.0 $33 I just add the two together which is (33 + 18) divided by 2. That will give me my 7.0 price of $25.50. For the 6.5 price I would then add the lower amount of $18 again which would be (25.50 + 18) divided by 2 which would be $21.75. If I wanted the 7.5 price I would ($33 +25.50) divided by 2 which would be $29.25.

6.0 - $18

6.5 - $21.75

7.0 - $25.50

7.5 - $29.25

8.0 - $33

although realistically, this might be undervaluing the higher grades which often go up in value in a non-linear curve. How do some of you others figure out the value of the higher grades? For example, 9.0 = $100, 9.2 = $140, 9.4 = ?, 9.6 = ?, 9.8 = ?. I know there is no set formula in all cases (ex: when high grades are rare), but just curious in general.

I think you are correct in that this formula is lacking when evaluating the higher grades, as they appreciate in value faster as the grade increases.

Unfortunatley, I don't have too many books in grades above 9.0 that I have to worry about this all that much :(

If it's to actually sell anything here, I go to the next lower grade and then use about 50% of that price. :(

Even easier, the OPG employs a 1:2:3 ratio for almost every book it values in Good, VG, and Fine.

I just add two adjacent grades together, then divide by 2.

F/VF? Add Fine and VF together, divide by 2, and voila!

It may not be precise, but it's more than close enough for the purpose.

OPG doesn't list in between values because there's been no real demand for them, and their pricing is so formulaic, there's not likely to be much.

This is how I do it too...although I often reduce the final figure by 20% as the tweener book will almost Always sell at a price closer to the lower than the higher. OSPG doesn't list all the spreads due to space constaint...you'd have to read it with a magnifying glass otherwise. We were lucky to get pricing for 6 grades. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

If a book is for example 6.0 $18 and 8.0 $33 I just add the two together which is (33 + 18) divided by 2. That will give me my 7.0 price of $25.50. For the 6.5 price I would then add the lower amount of $18 again which would be (25.50 + 18) divided by 2 which would be $21.75. If I wanted the 7.5 price I would ($33 +25.50) divided by 2 which would be $29.25.

6.0 - $18

6.5 - $21.75

7.0 - $25.50

7.5 - $29.25

8.0 - $33

Exactly the way I do it. (thumbs u

I even have Excel spreadsheets setup on all of my collections to where all I have to do is input the new numbers from Overstreet each year (GD thru NM-) and a formula automatically recalculates the new value of the comic even if it's say a FN+ or a VG-. Sometimes it's as simple as adding then dividing while on the tweeners it usually boils down to percentages.

6.0 - $18

6.5 - $21.75

7.0 - $25.50

7.5 - $29.25

8.0 - $33

Exactly the way I do it. (thumbs u

Same here: add the two grades & divide by 2. (thumbs u