• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Energizer...

195 posts in this topic

To be fair, you did initially call him out as reselling a trimmed book with no disclosure.

It's just better to be sure about something when it involves someone's rep before it's posted.

Some people don't read through an entire thread to get the point...they'll see the title, a few posts and draw a conclusion.

I'm just putting myself in his shoes, and I'd be upset too if someone discussed it publicly without talking to me first or making sure the facts were correct.

2c

Roy,

I respectfully disagree with you on this one. Remember, the initial thread was Ebay seller njpower2000, and my first post was asking if anyone had dealt with him before. When asked why, I told the story of my purchase. I thought it might be the same book, and if it wasn't, I wanted him to contact me and let me know because I would be interested in buying it. It's that simple.

On a related note, I could have disclosed to everyone who I bought the original trimmed book from!!! But I didn't.

A fact's a fact. If after the restoration thread I had told everyone who I bought the book from, would I be in the wrong?

I'm in no way trying to make you the bad guy here - but to play devil's advocate:

You did expand on the facts later - in the thread. I agree you didn't initially, but when asked you should have said something to the effect of, 'I'd rather not say' or 'I'll reserve comment until I get some more information.'

Your story post said you think it was the same book. To me, that's the same as an opinion.

Scottish,

I know what you are saying. I did expand on it later because I come here for opinions of people that know more than me. My opinion doesn't make it fact though. The bottom of the book in the current auction looks the same way the one I got did. I'm not saying this one is trimmed, but is it wrong to be careful and ask the experts as it were?

I guess my question to all of you is this; if you had purchased a book with undisclosed restoration would you be wary of the seller if you had never done any deals with him before? That's the basis for my original thread. I could have very easily told the boards about the original trimmed book and disclosed its seller, but I did not.

This is one example of where one should use one's own personal judgement and expertise and gather info before taking matters to the public.

I have seen people ask about and either decry or vouch for sellers here all the time? This is wrong this time because.....?

Bottom line (which everyone seems to be looking past) is that this guy did sell me a trimmed book. I'm not saying he did it, I'm not saying he knew about it beforehand. He did sell it to me though. Now I'm in the wrong for being cautious?

Once again....YOU think it was trimmed, but njpower may not agree. Trimming is probably the most difficult form of restoration to discover, when done well, so he may not agree with your analysis.

Did you have a professional restorer look at the book in hand before pronouncing it restored...?

Conan23.jpg

Ok, that's nice.

Now, can you answer the question?

To be fair, you did initially call him out as reselling a trimmed book with no disclosure.

It's just better to be sure about something when it involves someone's rep before it's posted.

Some people don't read through an entire thread to get the point...they'll see the title, a few posts and draw a conclusion.

I'm just putting myself in his shoes, and I'd be upset too if someone discussed it publicly without talking to me first or making sure the facts were correct.

2c

Roy,

I respectfully disagree with you on this one. Remember, the initial thread was Ebay seller njpower2000, and my first post was asking if anyone had dealt with him before. When asked why, I told the story of my purchase. I thought it might be the same book, and if it wasn't, I wanted him to contact me and let me know because I would be interested in buying it. It's that simple.

On a related note, I could have disclosed to everyone who I bought the original trimmed book from!!! But I didn't.

A fact's a fact. If after the restoration thread I had told everyone who I bought the book from, would I be in the wrong?

I'm in no way trying to make you the bad guy here - but to play devil's advocate:

You did expand on the facts later - in the thread. I agree you didn't initially, but when asked you should have said something to the effect of, 'I'd rather not say' or 'I'll reserve comment until I get some more information.'

Your story post said you think it was the same book. To me, that's the same as an opinion.

Scottish,

I know what you are saying. I did expand on it later because I come here for opinions of people that know more than me. My opinion doesn't make it fact though. The bottom of the book in the current auction looks the same way the one I got did. I'm not saying this one is trimmed, but is it wrong to be careful and ask the experts as it were?

I guess my question to all of you is this; if you had purchased a book with undisclosed restoration would you be wary of the seller if you had never done any deals with him before? That's the basis for my original thread. I could have very easily told the boards about the original trimmed book and disclosed its seller, but I did not.

This is one example of where one should use one's own personal judgement and expertise and gather info before taking matters to the public.

I have seen people ask about and either decry or vouch for sellers here all the time? This is wrong this time because.....?

Bottom line (which everyone seems to be looking past) is that this guy did sell me a trimmed book. I'm not saying he did it, I'm not saying he knew about it beforehand. He did sell it to me though. Now I'm in the wrong for being cautious?

Nothing wrong with being cautious. The one thing I've learned is to be more self-reliant in matters such as this, and only go to the public as a last resort, and also, above all else, do your homework. A quick use of the search function would've more than likely given you info about the seller's above board rep.

Once again....YOU think it was trimmed, but njpower may not agree. Trimming is probably the most difficult form of restoration to discover, when done well, so he may not agree with your analysis.

Did you have a professional restorer look at the book in hand before pronouncing it restored...?

Trimming ain't resto :makepoint:

Trimming ain't resto :makepoint:

lol

Oops. Old habit.

;)

So, after asking for feedback from people within this community concerning njpower2000 and their respective dealings with him, the thread, as most on these threads do, spiraled out of control. I never accused this nut of trimming or selling books in a dishonest manner.

So, thanks to a few boardies calling this guy personally, I get a confrontational call from him on my home phone with him accusing me of slandering his company.

He would not even listen to what I had to say. I basically told him to go read the thread on CGC Forum and he said he doesn't have time for that. I guess he'd just rather fly off the handle and start swearing at me. That is the point at which I hung up. He's been warned to never call me again or I will have him arrested for phone harrassment. Let's hope he is a smart guy. What a fricken' nut!

This guy is tied in with Matt Nelson.

So?

I think Matt Nelson is the bee's knees, personally...

What's your point? (other than stirring up trouble, that is..)

point made!

Does Bill proactively disclose any pressing he's had done, or is he a cheater like Matt? :devil:

I dunno, never bought a book from Bill.

How about buying, but not paying for, a book from Bill? :devil:

Matt, it looks like you may have leaped before you looked, but all I see you being guilty of is slightly poor wording of your initial inquiries.

The phone call is completely inappropriate, though!

2c

Roy,

I don't want to get into a pizzing match here with you Matt, but this was your original quote:

I purchased a Conan #23 in VF condition from them about a month ago, only to find it had been trimmed on the bottom edge. (very obvious). I wrote back to them and they went out of their way to accomodate me, took the return and sent me a full refund including my shipping. I was bascially just out the cost of my return shipping. They even offered me free shipping on my next purchase and said they would check the books more carefully from now on.

Well, today I happened upon the same book listed in a current auction from them; no trimming disclosed.

You basically said he was selling a trimmed book undisclosed.

Sorry, but it's cut and dry that you called him on it and you were in the wrong as the facts rest now.

:foryou:

Roy,

this is what I actually initially said:

Has anyone delt with Ebay Seller njpower2000? Are they a member here on the boards by any chance?

Semantics.

When you were asked, you provided the details above, and that's all that matters

The funny thing is, Rocky, you were the first to "take it there."

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3614355Post3614355

You don't even realize when you drive people to a conclusion through your little rants, do you? You're like a 4 year-old who's been given a driver's license and the keys to dad's Cadillac. doh!

2c

Roy,

I don't want to get into a pizzing match here with you Matt, but this was your original quote:

I purchased a Conan #23 in VF condition from them about a month ago, only to find it had been trimmed on the bottom edge. (very obvious). I wrote back to them and they went out of their way to accomodate me, took the return and sent me a full refund including my shipping. I was bascially just out the cost of my return shipping. They even offered me free shipping on my next purchase and said they would check the books more carefully from now on.

Well, today I happened upon the same book listed in a current auction from them; no trimming disclosed.

You basically said he was selling a trimmed book undisclosed.

Sorry, but it's cut and dry that you called him on it and you were in the wrong as the facts rest now.

:foryou:

Roy,

this is what I actually initially said:

Has anyone delt with Ebay Seller njpower2000? Are they a member here on the boards by any chance?

Semantics.

When you were asked, you provided the details above, and that's all that matters

The funny thing is, Rocky, you were the first to "take it there."

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3614355Post3614355

You don't even realize when you drive people to a conclusion through your little rants, do you? You're like a 4 year-old who's been given a driver's license and the keys to dad's Cadillac. doh!

I know this probably is not related to this thread at all ..I know don't faint on off topic post by me..the shock..

BUT does anyone else here have Ebay call them often via the new "seller verification phone call dealio?" I usually get at least one call per new batch of auctions I run.

It is VERY inconvienant for me because I have to run outside to take the phone call because my cell phone doesn't get service very well where we live.

I was just thinking about it because if anyone here was thinking of changing the phone number on their account to not be able to get calls from strangers..you would have a hard time if you were trying to sell and they had you pegged for ID verification.

When you list the item before it allows you to submitt and start the auction it says they need ID verficiation..they give you a code and a choice of getting the phone call from them immediately or in 5 minutes. Then when they call you have to enter the code in order to list anything. So if you signed up with a bogus number or changed to number on your account to a fake one..it would really screw you up if they wanted ID verification..

Including the phrase "...complete nutjob" in the thread title of a public forum provides a clue for determining who's behaving properly or not. ;)

For the record, I've done business with njpower2000 a couple times and was satisfied.

This is an outrage and an outright insult to Bill Hughes. I have never dealt with a person who possesses more honesty and integrity than Bill. His love of the hobby and participation in selling comics goes back decades and his ethics have never been brought into question...until now, that is. I sincerely hope that the "complete nutjob" moniker in the subject of this thread can be ignored by those of us more educated in the hobby, as we know better.

Rumors are nasty and insideous. At least have the courage to make a statement either one way or the other such as: the book IS trimmed or it ISN'T. Why bother wasting our time with a a wishy-washy "might" be the same book. I sure hope no one ever notifies a policeman that I "might" be the same guy who held up the 7-11 (for the record I was just there to buy a Slurpee - - totally innocent!).

Anyway, reputation among any seller, whether it be an individual or a large corporation, is a big deal and it is my fervent hope that this man be vindicated, as he should be, with reputation in tact.

This is an outrage and an outright insult to Bill Hughes. I have never dealt with a person who possesses more honesty and integrity than Bill. His love of the hobby and participation in selling comics goes back decades and his ethics have never been brought into question...until now, that is. I sincerely hope that the "complete nutjob" moniker in the subject of this thread can be ignored by those of us more educated in the hobby, as we know better.

Rumors are nasty and insideous. At least have the courage to make a statement either one way or the other such as: the book IS trimmed or it ISN'T. Why bother wasting our time with a a wishy-washy "might" be the same book. I sure hope no one ever notifies a policeman that I "might" be the same guy who held up the 7-11 (for the record I was just there to buy a Slurpee - - totally innocent!).

Anyway, reputation among any seller, whether it be an individual or a large corporation, is a big deal and it is my fervent hope that this man be vindicated, as he should be, with reputation in tact.

Hi Bill! :hi: