• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Since we are grading FF #48---

21 posts in this topic

I just learned how to post pictures (yeehaw).

So what grade do you think this would get? As a note, there is no color breaking crease at the top, the overhang bends a touch and the light from the scanner causes it to look like a crease.

375108-FF%20%2348%20%28F%29.jpg

589a8bc2cc66d_375108-FF48(F).jpg.7e1cbbdd24b459bd27765fab8c1897fb.jpg

VF/VF- 7.5/8.0

We should start charging $3 for pre-grading!

Only if you are any good at it. foreheadslap.gif

Just at our curiosity, what do you see that could bring this book down to the VF- range?

I don't see anything! cool.gif

VF/VF- 7.5/8.0

We should start charging $3 for pre-grading!

Only if you are any good at it. foreheadslap.gif

Just at our curiosity, what do you see that could bring this book down to the VF- range?

I really don't see from the scan anything that would prevent a solid VF 8.0.

But I offered up the worst grade I think it could get.

I remember seeing a Hulk 143 (or was it 144?) posted here months ago that everyone agreed was 9.4 at least and it got a 8.0.

So guessing CGC's grade is tricky game.

really don't see from the scan anything that would prevent a solid VF 8.0.

But I offered up the worst grade I think it could get.

I remember seeing a Hulk 143 (or was it 144?) posted here months ago that everyone agreed was 9.4 at least and it got a 8.0.

So guessing CGC's grade is tricky game.

I would agree that it is impossible to grade accurately from a scan.

That said, if a book is shown on the board, if anything, we (all forumites) should actually OVERGRADE the book. By this I mean, we should say the book could get an X.X grade, assuming that there are NO ADDITIONAL FLAWS that CANNOT be seen in the scan.

If you think about Pre-Graders, isn't that what they would do. They would give a book a quick look and determine if there is ANY WAY the book could meet the minimum criteria grade that the submitter has set.

Just my view point on helping other collectors grade their books.

If you think about Pre-Graders, isn't that what they would do. They would give a book a quick look and determine if there is ANY WAY the book could meet the minimum criteria grade that the submitter has set.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I always thought pre-graders determined the lowest grade.

For instance if you sent in 50 books to be pre-graded (screened) at 9.4 they look them over and pick out the ones that at worst will get 9.4 don't they?

I always thought pre-graders determined the lowest grade.

For instance if you sent in 50 books to be pre-graded (screened) at 9.4 they look them over and pick out the ones that at worst will get 9.4 don't they?

We are probably saying the same thingbut:

Say someone says I only want 9.0 or better.

I'm assuming when the pre-grader looks at the book, he/she makes a decision that its POSSIBLE that the book will get at least a 9.0.

Think of it this way. Say the book looks like a 8.5 to 9.0. Why would the pre-grader want to kick the book out and CGC only gets $3.00. Instead, they then put it in with the whole batch, and if it gets a 9.0, CGC gets $29.00. If the other graders determine it is only a 8.5, then they kick it out.

VF/NM 9.0

Defects I can see:

-Front cover colors look slightly faded (might be a scanner issue)

-Sligt blunting on spine; top and bottom corners.

-Slight bending on top cover overhang.

just got to this one.

hard to find much wrong with this beauty. maybe a slight miswrap and the overflash on front and back is a little wavy. perhaps a slightly soft corner.

i'm gonna guess at around a 9.2-9.4................ 893crossfingers-thumb.gif