• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Integrity of the Registry

14 posts in this topic

I love the CGC registry. It is fun, competitive, and serves as documentation for Insurance reasons. I put nearly all my books with available slots into the registry.

I recently got bumped from a #1 spot for a certain unnamed title over the summer and I had almost giving up ever trying to catch up. The guy holding the #1 slot was buying everything he could in this title, money being no object. I actually met him in Chicago and he was very arrogant telling me he would crush me in the registry. He was not lying.

Now to my problem, I have noticed many of his books in various auctions, Comiclink, Pedigree, etc. (no mistake when it's the same cert). These books have sold but he has NOT taken anything out of his registry. I believe he legitimately owned all the books in his registry at one time but not now. I'm not sure how to call him out on this or if I should even try. It may be petty but I think if you are #1 in a registry title you should own the books. I would appreciate feedback from the Boards on this. Thanks.

In my humble opinion.....

this one you speak of, acts as if they did not win many 1st place trophies in their childhood! :baiting:

In fact, I would surmise that when they won a ribbon just for placing ( :news: or just showing up) it was displayed as if it was a "real" trophy.

In lieu of these things, the subject in question finds it so terribly hard mentally and physhically, to relinquish that 1st place trophy spot. The notion of being a winner has been but a fleeting glimpse and occasional grasp throughout their life.

I think they are a definite recipient of the,

GOLDEN WRENCH AWARD from the Annual Tool Awards though! ^^

Just my two cents.

The guy holding the #1 slot was buying everything he could in this title, money being no object. I actually met him in Chicago and he was very arrogant telling me he would crush me in the registry.

I've never been very interested in the CGC Registry, but your comment about insurance documentation seems very sound. Your "competitor" seems less than chivalrous, though. Frankly, anyone who is that "competitive" in such a small arena must be overcompensating for something small in another arena. IMHO.

Some people work pretty hard ( read spend a lot of money) getting the number one registry. If they sell, for whatever reason, they shouldn't be number one. Call them out, give them a chance by pm first on the registry side. That being said, I buy a lot of my comics from registry people, so you may not want to burn that bridge.

Along the same lines, what does one think of a person who is new to a specific registry set that is trying to add a book that has been on your set for two years, to theirs? Why would this happen? And the new set owner didn't try to add it just once - I had to deny his request twice... so I began to wonder what was up... (shrug)

It happens sometimes when people buy a book off eBay from a seller that uses stock photos and then enter it immediately into their set. I've repeatedly had people try to add a run of Defenders I bought from Mile High a few years ago. Turns out they had a dozen copies of each and still use the same JPG they did when I bought mine. I send a note with the rejection when it happens now. At worse, it stops when they finally receive their copy in the mail.

There's nothing better than the tool who was just taking registration numbers off of Ebay and adding them to his non-existant sets. He kept adding reg numbers before and after books had sold off of Ebay. I had to have Gemma slap his set down cause he kept taking my Reg numbers before I had a chance to add them.

There's nothing better than the tool who was just taking registration numbers off of Ebay and adding them to his non-existant sets. He kept adding reg numbers before and after books had sold off of Ebay. I had to have Gemma slap his set down cause he kept taking my Reg numbers before I had a chance to add them.

lol

I'm not sure how to call him out on this or if I should even try. It may be petty but I think if you are #1 in a registry title you should own the books. I would appreciate feedback from the Boards on this. Thanks.

You are not being petty. You should notify Gemma. CGC wants to be sure that the right sets and owners are recognized. Scammers need to be cleaned out.

My only concern is that people be very certain before they bother Gemma. C-Link leaves book listings on their site for years after they have sold so be sure that the person was the seller (and not the buyer). I have also seen books that appear to be for sale due to multiple listings on C-Link and Pedigree that the seller forgot to clear after selling the book.