• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original art dimensions

23 posts in this topic

Had breakfast recently with a fellow board member and we were talking about original art and the size of it. We both are aware of the 11 x 17 inch standard page size, but he recalls early silver age or earlier art being on page formats that were larger.

Does anyone out there know what these dimensions are?

He was talking about an original Kirby Thor page he saw years ago. He believes it was roughly in the 140 issue range.

We were wondering if larger format art existed, or if this was used on Covers only?

Yes. It exists. It's called "Twice Up" by the collectors because it's roughly twice the size of the printed art, and was shot down at 50% for the printed piece.

Most art from the late Silver+ was shot at like 67% or so. (Can't recall the exact size.)

The twice up stuff was larger than the 11x17, and quite impressive in some examples.

It's not just on covers. I had a page from Tales of the Zombie that was twice up.

The only piece of OA I own is a Kirby Thor page from issue 131 (page 13,) it's framed and hanging on my wall above my desk so I see it every day. The live area is approximately

12 1/2" x 19", so I guess that's a 17 x 24 art board?

Yes. It exists. It's called "Twice Up" by the collectors because it's roughly twice the size of the printed art, and was shot down at 50% for the printed piece.

Nit-pick. You should say, it's four times the size of the printed art. It's twice up in both dimension (height and width) and it's awesome to hold. My Conan page looks puny next to my Golden Age art work :sorry:

Nit-pick. You should say, it's four times the size of the printed art. It's twice up in both dimension (height and width) and it's awesome to hold. My Conan page looks puny next to my Golden Age art work :sorry:

No. It's twice the size. If you take the comic and make it twice as big, it's as big as the art.

Did you not ever study geometry? :screwy:

No. It's twice the size. If you take the comic and make it twice as big, it's as big as the art.

Just to be clear I was not talking about a twice up or otherwise known as a double page spread. Single page, but dimensions larger than 11 x 17 inches.

I know. Twice up means the page is twice the size of the actual comic page.

Measure a GA book, width and length, then double each measurement. That's what a twice up page is.

That's the size of most GA original art.

Just to be clear I was not talking about a twice up or otherwise known as a double page spread. Single page, but dimensions larger than 11 x 17 inches.

A twice up has nothing to do with a double page spread. Twice up refers to a page that is twice the size of the printed page and double spread is rather disgusting.

It's based off of 2 x 3.

The standard image area for moderns is what - 10 x 15 (5x) ? Take a sheet of Strathmore 500 series bristol board - cold press vellum surface - (22x30) and cut it in half. Pencil out your work area 12 x 18 (6x) and you're in business.

Marvel switched to the current smaller size, 11x17 around 1967.

Before that the pages were larger. The twice up silver age I own are between 13.5 and 14 inches wide and 19.5 and 20.5 tall.

DC changed at a different time and some artists, like Murphy Anderson preferred to work in a certain size regardless of what the rest of the company used.

umm... I hope you're kidding? 4x the area

Shhhh Bronty. Don't you see the man knows what he's talking about! I mean ... he even had to add an insult when trying to correct me. That must mean something, no? ... about him ...

:hi:

Shhhh Bronty. Don't you see the man knows what he's talking about! I mean ... he even had to add an insult when trying to correct me. That must mean something, no? ... about him ...

The term "twice up" is what is commonly used. If you were to take a comic book to a copy machine and enlarge the cover, you would use 200% as the degree of enlargement.

If you want to see a lot of twice-up EC art, I would recommend renting "Tales from the Crypt: From Comic Books to Television". The extra footage on the first disc includes an interview with Ray Bradbury and Al Feldstein, and they have a ton of EC originals spread out on the table in front of them. This gives you a true indication of the size of the work. I just watched it after receiving it from Netflix today, and I would highly recommend it.

I think one of the first Marvel books done on smaller pages was FF #68. Apparently DC were the first to change over to small-size art, because someone at the printers' told them that it would save money (and time for the printers).

:roflmao:

Oddly enough, the latest twice-up pages I've seen from DC or Marvel were from Strikeforce: Morituri... 1989, Mark Bagley/Carlos Garzon. Anyone see any more recent that this?

Yes. That's four times the area. You are correct.

However, in this situation, it's twice the size of the dimensions. Not the area.

I didn't insult you. You've obviously never been insulted by me before. Your skin may be too thin for me.