• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics #1 or Tec #27?

Action Comics #1 or Tec #27  

282 members have voted

1. 1. Action Comics #1 or Tec #27

57 posts in this topic

I actually think the reverse - outside of comics Batman has a bigger imprint than Superman (at least outside the US).

In the US as well. With the TV show, and the two sets of movies, Batman has thrice made a major impact on (non comics) pop culture. Superman? Once, really. And even then it wasn't the same level as the Batmania of the 80s or the incredible box office domination of the latest Batman films.

I don't know. Was the Batman TV show from 60s anymore popular than the Superman TV show from the 50s? And should the Superman radio show of the 40s be considered?

I actually think the reverse - outside of comics Batman has a bigger imprint than Superman (at least outside the US).

In the US as well. With the TV show, and the two sets of movies, Batman has thrice made a major impact on (non comics) pop culture. Superman? Once, really. And even then it wasn't the same level as the Batmania of the 80s or the incredible box office domination of the latest Batman films.

other than animated shows, Batman hasn't been on T.V. since the '60s. It seems Superman has been on T.V. animated and live action in one form or another since the late '80s. Superboy, Lois and Clark, and for the last what 8 years or so, Smallville. it's only on the Big Screen that Supes has suffered, and that is more due to WB handling of the character and multiple failed development movie projects.

Batman is great, but let's not forget, this last time people went to see the Joker, not Batman. :insane:

other than animated shows, Batman hasn't been on T.V. since the '60s. It seems Superman has been on T.V. animated and live action in one form or another since the late '80s. Superboy, Lois and Clark, and for the last what 8 years or so, Smallville. it's only on the Big Screen that Supes has suffered, and that is more due to WB handling of the character and multiple failed development movie projects.

Batman is great, but let's not forget, this last time people went to see the Joker, not Batman. :insane:

Good point. I forgot about Smallville.

But Smallville and the animated Superman TV shows aren't exactly cultural phenomena like the Batman show from the 60s was. That was a massive, massive thing. A cultural touchstone.

Beyond people here, I don't know many people that watch Smallville. I actually asked around a few weeks ago, because I was surprised it was still on TV.

But Smallville and the animated Superman TV shows aren't exactly cultural phenomena like the Batman show from the 60s was. That was a massive, massive thing. A cultural touchstone.

Beyond people here, I don't know many people that watch Smallville. I actually asked around a few weeks ago, because I was surprised it was still on TV.

Smallville ratings are actually up 8% over last season, surprising since the CW dumped the show on Friday nights, usually the death knell for any show, especially one targeted to a younger crowd.

Think about it, people still parody the "BAM!" POW!" thing, 40 years later and everyone knows exactly what it's about. Most people probably don't even know there WAS a Superman TV show.

Sadly, I think the general public attributes the "BAM! POW!" thing more to comics these days then the 60s Batman TV show.

I don't know. Was the Batman TV show from 60s anymore popular than the Superman TV show from the 50s? And should the Superman radio show of the 40s be considered?

In the UK they have been replaying the batman show regularly since the 60s.

I have never seen or heard of the Superman 50s show being screened on TV. Smalllville doesn't have the same impact here.

Superman as a cultural icon has fallen substantially while Batman and Spider-Man are still very strong.

Presume its available on dvd?

All six seasons are available. 104 episodes. Here's a blurb from Amazon:

In 1952 Superman flew right into the hearts and minds of the American TV audience faster than a speeding bullet. Though most people were already familiar with man of steel through his comic books, as well as the popular radio show, it was the new medium's Adventures of Superman that transformed our resident Kryptonian into a timeless icon. For many young baby boomers, Superman was the ultimate symbol of truth, justice and the American way. After watching this nostalgic trip back in time it is easy to see why: George Reeves. Reeves is the quintessential Superman. He is kind, confident, smart, always does the right thing and can literally do anything physically. Even Reeves' Clark Kent is cool, even cocky without any of the trademarked shy, clumsy and hickish traits the character has developed over the years. And then there's Phyllis Coates as the Lois Lane. Coates portrayal of Lois is surprisingly one of the stronger female roles in '50s television. She is one tough cookie able to stand her ground against criminals, fight off bad guys and is not afraid to outwardly express herself. Sadly, Phyllis Coates would be replaced by Noel Neill in subsequent seasons.

Adventures of Superman also stands the test of time well as one of the best shows from the early days of television. A lot of it has to do with how the writers, producers and actors approached the making of the show. This first season, as well as the second, were made as if they were making a serious show suitable for kids and adults. Instead of being a kids' comic book show, the episodes have a strong "mini-serial-crime-movie" feel, are very story driven and include loads of elements from the popular film noir style of the 1950s. This is evident in such classic episodes such as the season opener "Superman on Earth," "The Stolen Costume" where Superman has his costume stolen by a burglar, and the tense horror-noir "The Haunted Lighthouse." Also included on this DVD set is the 1951 theatrical release Superman and The Mole Men which later became the televised two-part episode "The Unknown People."