• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pressing under OSPG Guidelines

58 posts in this topic

Ok , I just got done reading Overstreet Price Guides Glossary page 1020 in the softcover 2009 edition. They describe pressing as follows:

"Pressing: A Term used to describe a variety of processes or procedures, professional and amateur, under which an issue is pressed to eliminate wrinkles, bends, dimples, and/or other preceived defects and thus improve its appearance. Some types of pressing involve disassembling the book and preforming other work on it prior to its pressing and reassembly. Some methods are generally easily discerned by professionals and amateurs. Other types of pressing however, can pose difficulty for even experienced professionalsto detect. In all cases readers are cautioned that unintended damage can occur in some instances. Related defects will diminsh an issue's grade corresondingly rather than improve it."

Ok now OSPG description of "Restoration"also on page 1020 of the 2009 edition soft cover

"Restoration: Any attempt wether professional or amateur , to enhance the appearance of an aging or damaged comic book using additive procedures. These proceduresd may include any or all of the following techniques: recoloring, adding missing paper, trimming, reglossing, reinforcement, glue, etc. Amateur work can lower the value of the book and even professional restoration has now gained a negative aura in the marketplace from some quarters. In all cases a restored book can never be worth the same as an unrestored book in the same condition. There is no consensus on the inclussion of pressing, non-aqueos cleaning tape removal and in some cases staple replacement in this definition. Untill such time as there is consensus, we encourage continued debate and interaction amoung all interested parties and reflection upon the standards in other hobbies and art form"

Ok so the question is "Will pressed books at some point maybe considered restored since there is no consensus at this point in time?" If they were at some point classifed as restored what impact would that have on the comic industry as a collectible market.

In my oppinion I take the approach that any method used to enhance the apprearance of any item is considered restoration. i base this on simple logic if the book (in this case) comes directly from the printer with small defects then that was the way the book is made in its orginal state. Therefore, any process that would alter that state would unnecessary because thats the way the book was made. I do not agree that there is a 10.0 book in existence because of my philosphy that the idea of turely perfect is only availible in the realm of ideas. Thus it is unattainable due to the billions of oppinions of what perfect is,

Simple fact if a book in its orginal state coming off the press has some defects like very faint creasing should they not be considered printing or manufactoring defects and listed as such . If they are then any attempt to remove them would be restoration.

Thats my oppinion for what its worth . I am not saying pressing is right or wrong I am just worried that at some point all the pressed books may be labeled as Restoration and not accepted by the consensus . To compare at one point in the 80's restoration was not frowned upon as much as it now is .

What are your oppinions on this after all OSPG encourages debate on this issue

Who put the bomp in the bomp bah bomp bah bomp?

Who put the ram in the rama lama ding dong?

Who put the bop in the bop shoo bop shoo bop?

Who put the dip in the dip da dip da dip?

Who was that man? I'd like to shake his hand

He made my baby fall in love with me (yeah!!)

My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard,

And their like

It's better than yours,

Damn right it's better than yours,

I can teach you,

But I have to charge

I know you want it,

The thing that makes me,

What the guys go crazy for.

They lose their minds,

The way I wind,

I think its time

La la-la la la,

Warm it up.

Lala-lalala,

The boys are waiting

And their like

It's better than yours,

I can teach you,

But I have to charge

I can see youre on it,

You want me to teach thee

Techniques that freaks these boys,

It can't be bought,

Just know, thieves get caught,

Watch if your smart,

La la-la la la,

Warm it up,

La la-la la la,

The boys are waiting,

And their like

It's better than yours,

I can teach you,

But I have to charge

Oh, once you get involved,

Everyone will look this way-so,

You must maintain your charm,

Same time maintain your halo,

Just get the perfect blend,

Plus what you have within,

Then next his eyes are squint,

Then he's picked up your scent,

Lala-lalala,

Warm it up,

Lala-lalala,

The boys are waiting,

And their like

It's better than yours,

I can teach you,

But I have to charge

Sorry Trey, couldn't resist as this has been discussed to death.

If you search "pressed" and "pressing" using a time frame of "newer than 7 years" you'll find 7 years worth of reading.

It's debatable with no proof on either end. Just emotions and they will begin to show here any minutes.

Gosh, we almost got through a week without talking about it.

:tonofbricks:

Sorry Trey, couldn't resist as this has been discussed to death.

If you search "pressed" and "pressing" using a time frame of "newer than 7 years" you'll find 7 years worth of reading.

It's debatable with no proof on either end. Just emotions and they will begin to show here any minutes.

Gosh, we almost got through a week without talking about it.

:tonofbricks:

pm sent