• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF #15

74 posts in this topic

so If I say I am not pro or against pressing, I can't press one book? ok if that is the case, then by all means, label me in the camp that I am a presser and just assume everything I own will be pressed then.

lets not turn this thread into another pro and cons argurment like the rest.

Pressing books and advising others to press is the definition of pro-pressing. Nothing more nothing less no argument needed. No need to get offended or assume anything.

It's one of he best looking 3.5 AF 15's I have ever seen. Did you ask about the grading notes this time around? It still looks like a 4.0 to me. Congrats on the grade..

Thanks. I thought it looked like a 4.0 too,

and a bunch of folks here did as well.

Apparently CGC felt otherwise, so that's that.

I can't complain though, a half-point bump is not chump-change (shrug)

As far as calling to get the graders notes,

I'm planned to once I have the book in front of me.

I'm not sure if you will know this. But are there any issues with the interior of the book that may have caused the grade to go down .5 of a point? All I know is I would consider this very well graded if this book was ever put up for sale as a 4.0. I know that .5 grade is a bummer. But it's a AF 15!! A nice 4.0 at that.. IMHO.

As I have stated before. The CGC grade given is there opinion. There very good at what they do. But no business or person is always 100% correct all the time. I'd put this book in a nice acid free fullback and mylar. :cloud9:

I recall from the last time I called for the notes (prior to re-subbing) that there was a name stamped on the 1st page.

If what you say is true, that may be in part the reason for the .5 grade. I'll know soon enough when i call.

I don't want to sound ungrateful, afterall I got a half-point bump, but I must admit I was a little perplexed at the grade myself hm

This specimen on Comiclink's current auction certainly does not look much better than mine and it graded a 4.0 :P

However, to be fair to CGC I guess I really need to call and get the graders notes.

Not that it will change anything though :whatev:

RAD2E8202009127_195450.jpg

:news: I'm going to tre-open an old thread I posted some time ago, this time to ask for some additional opinions.

I want to ask folks what they think of the AFTER-RESUB grade assigned,

this time with the benefit of the graders notes that I got from CGC.

I was of course very happy to have gotten any bump, certainly a .5 on an Amazing Fantasy is not something to sneeze about.

But that doesn't mean I would be happy with what I got if I felt certain that the book deserved the full 1 point bump to 4.0.

I called CGC and spoke to a gentleman who pulled out the notes and read them:

They contained the following:

"many creases"

"long ink smear right front cover"

"small pieces missing on back cover"

"spine stress"

"wear on edges"

The verdicts

Grader #1: 4.0

Grader #2: 4.0

Grader #3: 3.5

Finalizer: 3.5

I'm confident this book is most likely a 4.0.

Apparently 2 of the 3 graders felt the same,

however the "finalizer" gave it a 3.5.

I've had books go both up and down during CGC resubs.

But this one just sticks in my craw.

I mean this book has ZERO Marvel Chipping,

decent cover gloss and looks as nice as any 4.0.

We all know how much of a bump in price going from a 3.5 to a 4.0 is.

I've got to ask your opinions - should I have this reviewed by CGC?

Or give it up (shrug)

I think the long ink smear is one of those flaws that look more visible outside of the slab(duh heh?) when you hold the book at an angle. Most likely is vertical on the left side of "15 Aug" downward.

I see what they are talking about with the ink smear. Not sure thats what id call it but i do see the line of discoloration on the right side just out side of spideys left hand.

As far as another resub, what are your intentions with the book? Resubs on a book with that price tag get PRICEY fast with insurance, shipping and the walkthru grading fees!

Personally, it looks like a 4.0+ to me but the spine does have some HEAVY wear. If it was me, id probably resub since like i said that looks at least 4.0 in my eyes so i wouldnt be happy with a 3.5. Then again, id be REALLY unhappy after dropping another $200 or so and getting the same 3.5!

Tough call but id probably resub especially with the price difference between a 3.5 and 4.0 (thumbs u

I'm going to take another real close look at that smear tonight (thumbs u

I appreciate the opinions so far, thanks!

I see now that I did however use the term RESUB when I might inevitably submit the book to CGC for review. Which raises the question, when to resub and when to submit for review? My last experience with the review process was a little frustrating, since they basically do it when they have time - which could be a loooooooong time. I found the vagueness of the timeframe to turnaround books submitted for review to be a little scary. But the fees can be significantly less then a walk-through. I'm not in a hurry, my intentions are to keep this book, but I also don't want to have it at CGC for months.

What's the cost of grading versus the potential improvement in sale price at auction?

What is the likelihood of receiving a 4.0 next time? I think it go either way.

Could a good press eliminate some of the creases and bump the grade?

What's the cost of grading versus the potential improvement in sale price at auction?

The book was pressed when I first resubmitted it - sent to Matt Nelson and then to CGC.

He must have erased the $15.00 price in pencil on the back cover.

Maybe I should run the graders notes by Matt?

The book was pressed when I first resubmitted it - sent to Matt Nelson and then to CGC.

He must have erased the $15.00 price in pencil on the back cover.

Maybe I should run the graders notes by Matt?

That's a good idea!