• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So, Thor is back to $2.99 with issue 604

17 posts in this topic

Interesting. hm The $3.99 experiment didn't work?

Reduced cause there's no JMS?

That's probably wise on their part, but they could make it $0.99 and I still wouldn't pick it up. I wonder if pre-orders dropped with the non-JMS issue.

Interesting. hm The $3.99 experiment didn't work?

Reduced cause there's no JMS?

That's probably wise on their part, but they could make it $0.99 and I still wouldn't pick it up. I wonder if pre-orders dropped with the non-JMS issue.

i KNOW it did.... this is to make up lost but it still wont matter at guillen doesnt have the fanbase as JMS. Im no JMS fan at all but i would pickup his work over guillens at the moment. All guillen has to show for himself is phonogram by image.

Marvel/DC REALLY need to get rid of the fancy paper stock and go back to newsprint. $3-4 for a new comic is insane!! And they wonder why circulation is terrible....They are comics..not magazines..

If you want prices to drop, the comic companies need to stop paying the artists and writers so much. When the writers started demanding big bucks, up went the cover price. Then, artists got in on it too, even though they can't stay on a schedule for the money they earn.

IMHO, anyone who thinks that going back to newsprint would drop prices on comics significantly is fooling themselves. With today's current trends, I don't think there is any way to get comics below $3 unless they use no-name talent.

Seriously, how much did Frank Miller get paid when he started out on Daredevil? Then how much was he paid for Ronin? Compare those figures to what he got for DKR or Sin City stuff... I bet you'll see exactly where a lot of the money goes. Then there is "big business" itself, which I won't get into.....

-slym

paper costs are a big part of what is killing newspapers and magazines...along with a large drop in advertising.

newsprint is not 75% cheaper than the stuff they're using now. i'd bet that a return to newsprint would make your $4 comic something like a $3.25 comic

Funny, the price drop was the only reason I picked it back up today. When I saw the 4.99 cover price for issue 600 and 3.99 for the ones following, it came off my pull list.

That's very interesting. I wonder how many people are bypassing a book because of the $1 price hike.

It's affected me on books when I'm wavering on getting it or not. If it is so-so and $4, I've been dropping it.

Pat

I know it's just a dream, but I had the thought that Disney would win a lot of goodwill by rolling back the prices to $2.99.

When I bought Jonah Hex for $3.99 this week I thought DC had followed suit in making that price standard but it was a special issue with more pages.

I'm sure the transport from Canada is very expensive but I was under the impression that certain parts of printing the things were getting more inexpensive and that's why they could still profitably publish at such low print runs.

That's very interesting. I wonder how many people are bypassing a book because of the $1 price hike.

It's affected me on books when I'm wavering on getting it or not. If it is so-so and $4, I've been dropping it.

Pat

The $1 hike on some books has put them in the wavering category for me and knocked others off my list. Dropped New Avengers when it went to $3.99.

There a only a few titles that I will buy @ 3.99. ASM and Uncanny X-men both because of completionist syndrome, (ASM 53 - present, Uncanny 94 - present) and Walking Dead cause it rocks. (and maybe Green Lantern too) Anything gets cut from the pull list at that price point. Too bad as I would add more titles onto my pull list at a lower price.

is Walking Dead up to 3.99?

I quit buying all marvels a while ago. I still want to collect the moderns, but I will only buy them if I can get em for a buck or so either from a convention box or a bulk deal.

I was rationalizing preordering which I did for many months, because the comics were less than $2 for a 2.99 comic. First I started cutting out $3.99 Titles, then I cut out All Marvels, then I cut out pre-ordering all together. I have been off of preorders almost 1 year now.

Sure it sucks not getting a big box of comics every month, but i had no time to even read em all, and it cost bookoo $ a month.

If anything comes out now that I absolutely have to read and I can get my hands on it, I just download it...

is Walking Dead up to 3.99?

I quit buying all marvels a while ago. I still want to collect the moderns, but I will only buy them if I can get em for a buck or so either from a convention box or a bulk deal.

I was rationalizing preordering which I did for many months, because the comics were less than $2 for a 2.99 comic. First I started cutting out $3.99 Titles, then I cut out All Marvels, then I cut out pre-ordering all together. I have been off of preorders almost 1 year now.

Sure it sucks not getting a big box of comics every month, but i had no time to even read em all, and it cost bookoo $ a month.

If anything comes out now that I absolutely have to read and I can get my hands on it, I just download it...

WD is still, $2.99. One of the few title that I would pay $3.99 for.

the only way they can significantly cut price is to double or triple or quadruple circulation on these titles. talent is sort of a fixed cost (putting aside some nominal per issue royalties I suppose they tend to get paid per page for art and per -script?), so once they sell the break even # of copies (what is that, 40k?), the rest are profit other than printing/shipping/production costs (which I suspect are probably no more than 50-60 cents a comic). higher circulation will allow them to make more from advertising and thus potentially further lower prices.

who here who do not buy moderns off the rack (but do in the discount box) would buy more off the rack at $2 a pop? i probably would buy a few more titles each month rather than hoping to find them in the dollar box later. i suspect i'd pick up spidey again, a couple of x-books, maybe wolverine.