• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EsquireComics Presents The Palisades GA/SA Original Owner Collection

196 posts in this topic

Federal Men #2 (1945)

This is a very cool book that is not seen often. It features Siegel/Shuster a/c reprinted from Detective #9. Now most of us can't afford a Tec #9 so here is your chance to know what's inside!! Also, this is listed as a Gerber "8" but fair disclosure compels me to reveal I doubt it really is that rare.

Anyone know why this is a #2 when there is no #1?

Minor spine wear/creases, some cover "dirt", strong colors, slight b/c creases, 1/2" bc lower left corner, ow pgs (through cr on the edges), 6.0/6.5

$150.00

FederalMen2.jpg

Star Spangled War Stories #90 (1960)

1st "War That Time Forgot"

Solid mid-grade copy, slight spine wear/creases, 1" x 1/4" lower rt corner missing, fc creases, slight interior cover shadowing, slight bc shadow lines, ow pgs, 5.0/5.5

$100.00

StarSpangled90.jpg

"Anyone know why this is a #2 when there is no #1?"

I'm sure you were just making a joke, but I will explain it for those who don't know.

Back in the Golden Age, number 1's were not sought after like they are now. Companies thought they were more likely to sell a comic book if potential buyers didn't think it was a new thing they were trying out. The thinking was, that readers would want something that apparently was not brand new and also would be more inclined to purchase something that had already been tried and passed by the public, as something that was worthy of continuing issues.

I know it sounds a little silly, but that is the theory many believe in, anyway.

There are several books that did not start with a number 1.

Yes, but they rarely started with #2.

Another theory is publishers were charged some fee for a new series by the post office. That's why so many titles were continuations of other titles- and why Bill Gaines had to re-number his series once the post office caught on.

Star Spangled War Stories #90 (1960)

1st "War That Time Forgot"

Solid mid-grade copy, slight spine wear/creases, 1" x 1/4" lower rt corner missing, fc creases, slight interior cover shadowing, slight bc shadow lines, ow pgs, 5.0/5.5

$100.00

StarSpangled90.jpg

per PM

:takeit:

Mark. Is the Federal Men a cover swipe of a Tracy cover? Seems familiar.

Yes, if they were trying to fool people they wouldn't start with #2.

You would think.

If they actually were trying to fool people, they would have started with #1 and issued it in six different variant covers, with the same story inside, and diminishing numbers of those various cover variants in print. Then put a dark and impossible to see clearly, nude pic of Marilyn Monroe alongside a nude Captain America drinking a beer, and then recalled them.

So I see your point. They would never do something like that. We're too wise to fall for that.

Back to the show.

FWIW, GCD notes:

No known first issue published. DC produced an ashcan version using this title (circa 1936). Interior contents contain reprints from DC from the 1930s. Contents and previous ashcan issue indicates some sort of tie-in with DC and this publisher.

All Star #14 (1942-43)

This is a stunningly beautiful copy that should sell fast, particularly because it looks as if it is an 8.5/9.0 (or higher) but unfortunately is not. Some young kid, perhaps the person who wrote their name across the top, folded the book in half and the cover reflects that fact. Fortunately, there is absolutely no cover color breaks and you can only tell when you examine the interior but clearly the entire book has been folded at one point. Still, simply gorgeous!!!

There are also some fantastic ads for numerous other DC comics of the day AND this is the first issue introducing the Junior JSA Club. The ad is awesome!

Name in pen on front, slight spine wear, small 1/8" hole top spine (possible bug chew), slight fc shadow, interior cover shadowing, some minor bc paper loss in ad, structurally beautifully sound and WHITE pages, 5.5

The buyer will NOT be disappointed!

$700.00

All-Star14.jpg

Green Lantern #15 (1945)

Another GORGEOUS copy. The colors are simply stunning.

At first glance looks to be a 9.0+ but some significant, somewhat hidden, defects bring it down.

2 1/2" upper spine split, 1 1/2" tear just off lower spine, lower staple detached from cover, interior cover shadowing, o/w to white pages (if not better)

By strict grading standards I cannot grade this more than a 2.0 b/c of the spine split, but the appearance requires a higher price. I assure that anyone who buys this book will be quite happy.

$350.00

GL15.jpg

Hollywood Secrets #4 (1950)

I thought this was a cool book, really nice photo cover, and it presents very well (though grades lower).

1/4" tear at top spine, couple nicks here and there, wear is present (though likely not very visible in scan) along left side of cover, bc "dirt", cr to ow pgs (though more towards ow), 6.5

$50.00

Hollywood4.jpg

House of Secrets #1 (1956)

Not a book seen often. Don't miss your chance to own it!

Presents quite well, strong cover colors, 1" spine split below lower staple (but doesn't extend to the bottom so cover still intact), spine wear, some tearing along top, cr to ow pgs, 5.0/5.5

$300.00

HOS1.jpg

Human Torch #36 (1954)

One of the last issues, sought after book, but filler copy for someone's collection.

4" upper spine split, scan reveals some obvious pieces missing, two tears on rt side extend throughout most of the book, bc tears, small pieces missing too, ow pgs (some creaming on edges), strict grading standards place this no higher than 2.0

Still a desirable book.

$175.00

HT36.jpg

X-Men #129 (1979)

First appearances of Kitty Pryde, the White Queen, Sebastian Shaw, Harry Leland, and Donald Pierce of the Hellfire Club. John Byrne cover and art.

Overstreet 2009 NM- 9.2 value = $75

Tiny little crease lower rt corner, 9.2/9.4

$40.00

Xmen129---11809.jpg