• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I be disappointed??

96 posts in this topic

I'll just say that I'm sorry, but i doesn't shock me.

Those books were handled quite a bit between scanning and shipping.

Maybe some of it was during shipping. Hard to say.

Either way, it sucks for you. :(

I don't think it was damaged between scanning and receiving. If you look close, you can see all of the spine creases and other issues in the bottom scan on the first scan. They're there, just covered by the photoshop the seller did.

The scan wasn't shopped. The book was damaged. :gossip:

I was going to say the same thing (since I think you and I know where he got this book ;) and I don't think that seller would be the type to photo-shop). I will add that while not photo-shopped, if Timmay's scan is really more representative of the actual colors of the book than the seller's scan, that the seller did appear to have the scanned it a bit darker than it really was (as evidenced by the richness of the blacks on the before scan)...

I was going to say the same thing (since I think you and I know where he got this book ;) and I don't think that seller would be the type to photo-shop). I will add that while not photo-shopped, if Timmay's scan is really more representative of the actual colors of the book than the seller's scan, that the seller did appear to have the scanned it a bit darker than it really was (as evidenced by the richness of the blacks on the before scan)...

The settings vary from scanner to scanner. If they are not calibrated or adjusted, the color levels on some scanners is horrible. Most people on the outside of the hobby are not as anally retarded about comic books and the color balance that needs to be achieved in a simple scan of one.

I noticed that the scans were dark when I first saw them. I figured the settings were out of sync.

The settings vary from scanner to scanner. If they are not calibrated or adjusted, the color levels on some scanners is horrible. Most people on the outside of the hobby are not as anally retarded about comic books and the color balance that needs to be achieved in a simple scan of one.

I noticed that the scans were dark when I first saw them. I figured the settings were out of sync.

Very true, and you've got a good eye (thumbs u

That is definitely NOT damage.

Those spine creases that appear on the 2nd scan didn't come from one event of mishandling. The correct term isn't "damage".. its called "wear". The colors are definitely off and you can see more of the paper stitching and cross hatches in the 2nd scan.

The only question is whether or not it was purposeful (photoshopped) or it was accidental due to different scanner settings.

If it was accidental then its pretty curious that it happened to somehow omit the major creases and color breaks. The most telling area is right below the 2nd staple. Generally even if the settings were different it shouldn't completely omit the major creases/color breaks. They may be fainter but you'd still be able to see them as evidenced by other small color breaks and nicks you can see in both scans.

Just to state the obvious, which I'm sure isn't needed in Timmay's case... you should probably contact the seller (if you haven't already) and give him a chance to make it right before outing him...

The advice I would offer as well. Most people will allow you to return a book.

Regarding the scans, I can easily imagine the differences you see being from differences in scanners, chosen resolution, etc. Ignoring the spine tics, the "bad" comic is better in some ways than the "good" one. For example, there are three color flecks by Mephisto's heel in the "good" one and only two in the "bad" one--the opposite of what you would expect if it were Photoshopped.

I can honestly say that I would be very disapointed indeed. I wouldn't out the guy though unless he is very tetchy when it comes to sorting out the problem. I would certainly go back ti the dealer and ask for a refund or at least a partial refund (depends on how much you still want the book

Sucks, but that's the risk you take with buying raw books online. The top scan looks great, the bottom looks like a 7.5/8.0 book. Looks like the colors in the top scan were seriously enhanced with the scan. Sucks

Anyone want to see (again) my Hulk #181 I bought as an 8.5?

I will never buy "raw" books online again unless it's from someone I trust, or I don't care about the condition of the books.

-slym

doh!

Why is there a 50 post thread on this?

You're not happy with the sale. Return the book to the seller for a refund. If the seller refuses to give you the refund, out him and let the flaming begin.

doh!

Why is there a 50 post thread on this?

You're not happy with the sale. Return the book to the seller for a refund. If the seller refuses to give you the refund, out him and let the flaming begin.

I have a feeling this one has some legs.