• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I be disappointed??

96 posts in this topic

The selling picture just has HIGH contrast, they're the same issues... White dots can disappear when you mess with the contrast of a picture and spine ticks also, which most of you obviously know anyway. Just send it back, unless you got it for a good price, even though it's not as nice as you thought. I still think it's a nice book - the sellers contrast may have automatically increased when he scanned the picture?

I work with Photoshop for a living, and, no, there are only two explanations here:

a) the book was damaged during shipping/handling.

b) the seller manipulated the picture digitally

Screwing around with the contrast, the scanner settings, high & low points, etc can only get you so far - there's no way whatsoever that the spine ticks & corner creases in timmay's scan could have been removed without digitally "color-touching" the scan. :sumo:

(thumbs u

Perhaps it was a simple bait & switch? hm

Not likely, too many visible landmarks on both copies You can even lighten the first scan and see the color loss up top that matches Timmay's scan.

The spine is what was monkied with, or damaged, or both.

WTF was the point of this thread again? Oh yeah, yes you should be disapointed Timmay.

Sucks, but that's the risk you take with buying raw books online. The top scan looks great, the bottom looks like a 7.5/8.0 book. Looks like the colors in the top scan were seriously enhanced with the scan. Sucks

Anyone want to see (again) my Hulk #181 I bought as an 8.5?

I will never buy "raw" books online again unless it's from someone I trust, or I don't care about the condition of the books.

-slym

Yes show it.

No slym dont do it, I've seen it a few times and each time a part of me dies. :eek:

No worries... I'll just link to it instead.

;)

-slym (no worries, this isn't the "NM" pic)

Sucks, but that's the risk you take with buying raw books online. The top scan looks great, the bottom looks like a 7.5/8.0 book. Looks like the colors in the top scan were seriously enhanced with the scan. Sucks

I will never buy "raw" books online again unless it's from someone I trust, or I don't care about the condition of the books.

-slym

Yes show it.

No slym dont do it, I've seen it a few times and each time a part of me dies. :eek:

;)

-slym (no worries, this isn't the "NM" pic)

:o

Timmay,

How was the book packaged for shipping??

We haven't heard if the book was shipped in an envelope without protection or in some other improper manner. When that happens it drives me nuts, but I can get over it if they offer a refund.

If the book was well protected between sturdy cardboard and in a box, then you definitely are dealing with a dishonest seller.

Yes show it.

;)

Yeah... and then when I wanted to return it for a refund, the guy died. That's what his "brother" told me anyways.

Matt Edwards of Houston Texas, I will get right with you one day - you and your "brother," "Edward Johnson."

-slym

The first pic looks like it was scanned without the scanner's cover. The light sheen at the spine highlights the book's slight rise at the spine. This sheen appears to deviate from a straight line at the area in question then resumes the straight line.

That lightened area near the foot in the second scan looks like a crease that does not appear evident in the first scan.

My interpretation is that both occurred: the image was digitally altered and the book was mishandled after scanning.

Didn't the seller out himself on page 2 or 3, or was that a joke?

Also, I immediately saw the spine roll on the first pic, and not on the second. I think that is a key indicator as to what's going on.

Oh, that was most definitely a joke. (thumbs u

Andy

Didn't the seller out himself on page 2 or 3, or was that a joke?

Also, I immediately saw the spine roll on the first pic, and not on the second. I think that is a key indicator as to what's going on.

Oh, that was most definitely a joke. (thumbs u

Andy

Besides that, it's not a war book.

:whatev:

Yes show it.

;)

Yeah... and then when I wanted to return it for a refund, the guy died. That's what his "brother" told me anyways.

Matt Edwards of Houston Texas, I will get right with you one day - you and your "brother," "Edward Johnson."

-slym

Slym, do you have his address in Houston? Maybe me and c-mack can drop off a flaming bag of poo on his doorstep...

Seriously though, have the address?

Why are we as a community so afraid of outing a seller that clearly scammed him??? This one is pretty obvious, no? Or was it the scanner's fault?

Dan

The seller posted in this thread that he offered a full refund. I agree with him that this thread never needed to happen.

Why are we as a community so afraid of outing a seller that clearly scammed him??? This one is pretty obvious, no? Or was it the scanner's fault?

Dan

The seller posted in this thread that he offered a full refund. I agree with him that this thread never needed to happen.

Where did this take place?

Dan

The seller never posted in this thread. This:

I told you I would make a full refund, I don't know why you had to create this thread. doh!
was a joke by Andy

Im wondering when this issue is going to make it to the other thread so the poo can really fly. It cant be an isolated incident.