• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Great First Issues

33 posts in this topic

I was thinking earlier about how a lot of series seem to live or die based on their monthly sales, and how hard it is for a series to grab readers by the balls/cojones/respective gender's genitalia. I know there's a ton of comics that have had some great first issues, and I was wondering if you guys could point out some, and what exactly grabbed you from the outset

Invincible #1. The "If you keep that up, you're going to give yourself a heart attack" line at the beginning. The issue did a great job of setting up the series too.

Chew #1. This issue set up the story's world like no other first issue I've ever seen before and was entertaining with interesting / new art elements as well.

Grimjack #1. Gritty series with a "gun"-for-hire character that included the work of the amazing Tim Truman. Still one of my favorite independent characters from the 80s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimjack

grimjack_1.jpg

I always knew his 1st full appearance was Starslayer 10. But I just realized after reading the wiki article on Grimjack I sold his 1st cameo appearance in Warp Comics and I didn't even know.

:frustrated: