• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tarantino Tells Hollywood To Take Their Green Lantern And Shove It

122 posts in this topic

lol Awesome. I didn't realize that Quentin Tarantino was in his 80's. Since it was probably the 40's since the last time he was called "The Green Lantern"

They called him that in All-American and then dropped it due to obvious lameness.

If it was something they wanted to carry forward I am sure they'd put it on their covers subsequent to All American right?

1-1.jpg

or

gl-1.jpg

or maybe his first SA appearance since that the character the film is about.

DJ_CC1.jpg

Well, that's good, because Tarantino is probably the most over rated director around now that Robert Altman is gone.....

how do we define overrated? There are shades to it. So while I agree that his last 10 years have been disappointing compared to his first few films (Reservoir and Pulp), nobody can take those masterpieces away from him... and thats more than most every other director has in the bank, no matter how "bankable" hollywood considers them..

He tries when he works, and isnt whoring himself around for a paycheck. To his credit.

I thought the Grindhouse movies were phenomenal and extremely underrated.

lol Awesome. I didn't realize that Quentin Tarantino was in his 80's. Since it was probably the 40's since the last time he was called "The Green Lantern"

They called him that in All-American and then dropped it due to obvious lameness.

If it was something they wanted to carry forward I am sure they'd put it on their covers subsequent to All American right?

1-1.jpg

or

gl-1.jpg

or maybe his first SA appearance since that the character the film is about.

DJ_CC1.jpg

Revisionist history meh

Tarantino is a hack.

Let's look at his films:

Reservoir Dogs: rip-off of City On Fire, but it's still stylish and funny, and the humor is probably what saves this film.

Pulp Fiction: hugely overrated by people who were just turning on to auteur filmmaking. I loathe this film beyond all recognition.

Jackie Brown: surprisingly a pretty good film. A little long, but more restrained than his other manic fare. Probably the best film he's made yet.

Kill Bill 1 & 2: Pale rip-off of Japanese pinky violence and samurai films from the early 70s with lots of annoying Tarantino-isms (cute in-jokes, pop-culture references, etc). Everything is downhill after the opening track ("Bang Bang" by Nancy Sinatra). No redeeming qualities whatsoever. If you think there are, I have films to recommend to you.

Death Proof: where do I start with this turd? I can't believe he succeeded in making a terrible film that stars Kurt Russell. There are countless over-long scenes of people chatting, arguing, etc. Bad -script, bad ending, bad everything.

Inglorious Basterds: After the above, do you think I'd subject myself to this?

Well, that's good, because Tarantino is probably the most over rated director around now that Robert Altman is gone.....

how do we define overrated? There are shades to it. So while I agree that his last 10 years have been disappointing compared to his first few films (Reservoir and Pulp), nobody can take those masterpieces away from him... and thats more than most every other director has in the bank, no matter how "bankable" hollywood considers them..

He tries when he works, and isnt whoring himself around for a paycheck. To his credit.

I thought the Grindhouse movies were phenomenal and extremely underrated.

Have you watched real "grindhouse" films that he riffed on? I can't imagine that you have if you think the Tarantino version was phenomenal.

Kill Bill Vol 1 & especially Vol. 2 were easily among my favorite movies of the last decade. I also enjoyed Inglorious Basterds quite a bit.

Kill Bill Vol 1 & especially Vol. 2 were easily among my favorite movies of the last decade. I also enjoyed Inglorious Basterds quite a bit.

I too enjoyed Inglorious Basterds.....except.......the subtitles had too much light color behind them which made them difficult to read at times

I don't think he's interested in doing a superhero film. He's a "own idea" kind a guy. Right now he is busy planning out Kill Bill 3.

Minus Bill.......R.I.P.

Beyond Resevoir Dogs I don't like his stuff. From Dusk Til Dawn was OK for what it was I suppose.

Thankfully he pimped the -script to the best thing he's ever had anything to do with to fund his other stuff. True Romance was a true work of art.

Inglorious Basterds was great...

How was an alternate historical event, in which a lone SS officer in charge of Hitler's demise and the annhilation of the top Nazi figure heads, by letting a group of less than 10 people (alltogether) act on an unplanned military operation, be great?? Seriously, it's OK for a popcorn movie or for teenagers who like to see life in more simple terms but, the idea that Nazi security during WWII being slacked and that any foreigner could infiltrate the tight elite of Germany during that time is simply absurd. The Germans had Operation Greif but, as far as Americans doing anything like that..it would have been much more difficult.

How was an alternate historical event, in which a lone SS officer in charge of Hitler's demise and the annhilation of the top Nazi figure heads, by letting a group of less than 10 people (alltogether) act on an unplanned military operation, be great?? Seriously, it's OK for a popcorn movie or for teenagers who like to see life in more simple terms but, the idea that Nazi security during WWII being slacked and that any foreigner could infiltrate the tight elite of Germany during that time is simply absurd. The Germans had Operation Greif but, as far as Americans doing anything like that..it would have been much more difficult.

The nazis weren't that infallible... :makepoint:

It's a (obviously fictional) movie. With a crazy unrealistic ending that many people would have liked to have seen happen in real life. It was immensly enjoyable, if you have the ability to just separate yourself from everything you may already know about WW2.