• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tarantino Tells Hollywood To Take Their Green Lantern And Shove It

122 posts in this topic

Tarantino is a hack.

Let's look at his films:

Reservoir Dogs: rip-off of City On Fire, but it's still stylish and funny, and the humor is probably what saves this film.

Pulp Fiction: hugely overrated by people who were just turning on to auteur filmmaking. I loathe this film beyond all recognition.

Jackie Brown: surprisingly a pretty good film. A little long, but more restrained than his other manic fare. Probably the best film he's made yet.

Kill Bill 1 & 2: Pale rip-off of Japanese pinky violence and samurai films from the early 70s with lots of annoying Tarantino-isms (cute in-jokes, pop-culture references, etc). Everything is downhill after the opening track ("Bang Bang" by Nancy Sinatra). No redeeming qualities whatsoever. If you think there are, I have films to recommend to you.

Death Proof: where do I start with this turd? I can't believe he succeeded in making a terrible film that stars Kurt Russell. There are countless over-long scenes of people chatting, arguing, etc. Bad -script, bad ending, bad everything.

Inglorious Basterds: After the above, do you think I'd subject myself to this?

I disagree. I think every single film he has made has been significantly better than his last, culminating in the utterly glorious Inglourious Basterds. And Reservoir Dogs was a pretty decent start.

It's not your bag though. Fair enough. We all have different tastes. For people who are steeped in cinematic lore however, and who have a playful sense of humour, his films are superb entertainments. I suspect you may be giving in ever so slightly to your sense of superiority and contrariness. I get the impression you enjoy cinema and have looked beyond the mainstream, so it surprises me that you can't sit back and laugh with Tarantino.

2c

I can appreciate his ability to generate humor but I despise the scenarios that he creates the humor in.

The guy is a twisted nut job and I'd hate to live in the same neighborhood as the guy.

:screwy:

As a creator I can appreciate his ability to create. As a person, I think he has a few screws loose.

Tarantino is a hack.

Let's look at his films:

Reservoir Dogs: rip-off of City On Fire, but it's still stylish and funny, and the humor is probably what saves this film.

Pulp Fiction: hugely overrated by people who were just turning on to auteur filmmaking. I loathe this film beyond all recognition.

Jackie Brown: surprisingly a pretty good film. A little long, but more restrained than his other manic fare. Probably the best film he's made yet.

Kill Bill 1 & 2: Pale rip-off of Japanese pinky violence and samurai films from the early 70s with lots of annoying Tarantino-isms (cute in-jokes, pop-culture references, etc). Everything is downhill after the opening track ("Bang Bang" by Nancy Sinatra). No redeeming qualities whatsoever. If you think there are, I have films to recommend to you.

Death Proof: where do I start with this turd? I can't believe he succeeded in making a terrible film that stars Kurt Russell. There are countless over-long scenes of people chatting, arguing, etc. Bad -script, bad ending, bad everything.

I disagree. I think every single film he has made has been significantly better than his last, culminating in the utterly glorious Inglourious Basterds. And Reservoir Dogs was a pretty decent start.

It's not your bag though. Fair enough. We all have different tastes. For people who are steeped in cinematic lore however, and who have a playful sense of humour, his films are superb entertainments. I suspect you may be giving in ever so slightly to your sense of superiority and contrariness. I get the impression you enjoy cinema and have looked beyond the mainstream, so it surprises me that you can't sit back and laugh with Tarantino.

2c

Well yes, you can laugh at his films. In fact you have to otherwise the sheer stupidity of the writing would have you poking your own eyes out.

I enjoy his films but they are not great or classics in the accepted sense of those two terms. There is no originality in them and I would think that you couldn't class them as repeat viewing films.

I woud have though that the sheer absurdity of his films would have made him a prime choice for a super-hero film. I mean Green Lantern, how stupid is he as a character.

Inglorious Basterds was great...

How was an alternate historical event, in which a lone SS officer in charge of Hitler's demise and the annhilation of the top Nazi figure heads, by letting a group of less than 10 people (alltogether) act on an unplanned military operation, be great?? Seriously, it's OK for a popcorn movie or for teenagers who like to see life in more simple terms but, the idea that Nazi security during WWII being slacked and that any foreigner could infiltrate the tight elite of Germany during that time is simply absurd. The Germans had Operation Greif but, as far as Americans doing anything like that..it would have been much more difficult.

Believe it or not, you hit the nail on the head in your condemnation. The film is absurdist humor bordering on Satire. Quentin Tarantino channeling Jonathan Swift. You are not supposed to take the film as totally "real" (aka a 100% suspension of disbelief) because it is a socio-political commentary. Many may argue that QT only recycles old material, in this case he takes an "old" genre and puts his stylistic stamp on it. Throughout the film you are waiting for it to become "Tarantino-esque" and display the same old calling cards (which it eventually does). It is an interesting way of building tension when in an absurdist situation. I believe it is thematically relevant, because, in a time of war, anything can happen and often does...

Tarantino is a hack.

Let's look at his films:

My guess is you weren't on the Oscar committee considering Basterds just got a Best Picture nomination and QT a best director nom.

Not sure that there are any film-makers out there today that can write dialogue better than Tarantino can. And the final twenty minutes of Kill Bill #1 just might be the greatest fight sequence ever put on film... including the climactic fight scene in the garden which is perhaps the most beautifully rendered fight scene ever put on film. Would probably also say that other than Martin Scorcese, no director has ever incorporated music into his films better than Taratino has.

That said, i'm amazed at how many 'experts' we have here on the subject. :insane:

uh...it's an internet message board...

of course everybody thinks they are experts.

You mean, we all know we are experts lol

Tarantino is a hack.

To each his own but I loved Pulp Fiction. The dialogue was incredible. I liked Jackie Brown a lot too and the Kill Bill movies.

Tarantino is a hack.

Let's look at his films:

Hey Paull

Have you ever made a film? Beyond that have you ever made a good film? Why don't you try doing that.

When you make a good film that is loved by all come back on here and bad mouth Tarintino all you want. Until then you should probably just keep your mouth shut.

Oh and by the way if he is such a hack why do so many people go see his movies?

Oh and why do they win awards? Why is he respected in the film community?

Why does he keep getting money to make more films?

The simple answer to these questions is he is a good film maker.

Now try to come up with a witty response.

2c

Let me get this straight.... "Death Proof" is a superior film to "Jackie Brown"?

I get Tarantino's winks and nods, but I don't find them funny or interesting. Boring, period.

Hey Paull

Have you ever made a film? Beyond that have you ever made a good film? Why don't you try doing that.

When you make a good film that is loved by all come back on here and bad mouth Tarintino all you want. Until then you should probably just keep your mouth shut.

Oh and by the way if he is such a hack why do so many people go see his movies?

Oh and why do they win awards? Why is he respected in the film community?

Why does he keep getting money to make more films?

The simple answer to these questions is he is a good film maker.

Sounds like you enjoy being told what to like. OK, I'll play along.

Here's your reading list for the week from the New York Times Bestseller's List:

Hardcover Fiction

1. THE HELP, by Kathryn Stockett

2. KISSER, by Stuart Woods

3. THE LOST SYMBOL, by Dan Brown

4. THE BURNING LAND, by Bernard Cornwell

5. THE FIRST RULE, by Robert Crais

Hardcover Nonfiction

1. GAME CHANGE, by John Heilemann and Mark Halperin

2. COMMITTED, by Elizabeth Gilbert

3. STONES INTO SCHOOLS, by Greg Mortenson

4. HAVE A LITTLE FAITH, by Mitch Albom

5. GOING ROGUE, by Sarah Palin

And your listening list from the Billboard Top 5 albums:

1. HOPE FOR HAITI NOW - Various Artists

2. I DREAMED A DREAM - Susan Boyle

3. THE FAME - Lady Gaga

4. TRANSFERENCE - Spoon

5. 2010 GRAMMY NOMINEES - Various Artists

And your movies to watch from the top 5 Movies of the past weekend:

1. AVATAR

2. EDGE OF DARKNESS

3. WHEN IN ROME

4. TOOTH FAIRY

5. BOOK OF ELI

I think people enjoy his films because they need something sensationalistic to keep their attention.

I still say the guy is a creep and it comes through all of his films.

I agree with Paull...his films do nothing for me.

No thanks, I'll pass.

My guess is you weren't on the Oscar committee considering Basterds just got a Best Picture nomination and QT a best director nom.

And where did I say that I cared what the Academy thinks?

lol

Nobody said you did. But I'll put more stock into him being nominated twice now for best director by people who know a little something about it versus your highly respected opinion that he's merely "a hack"

It may not be your taste and that's fine. I have no beef with anybody simply b/c they don't like something. Saying you don't like his films is one thing. Saying he's a hack and/or a talentless filmmaker is entirely something else.

I put a lot of stock into you not caring much for his films. I truly believe you don't.

I put zero stock into your "expert" opinion that he's a hack.

Move along now.

I think people enjoy his films because they need something sensationalistic to keep their attention.

No thanks, I'll pass.

Agree with what? That you don't like his films or that he's a hack, devoid of any talent?

No thanks, I'll pass.

Gotta agree.

If you like his stuff, fine.

But if you think this guy is a serious auter, or that his films are "great", sorry, you've got to get out more and see truly classic films.

With directors like Lean, Ford, Hitchcock, Eisenstein, Stevens, Capra, Wyler, Kurasawa, Truffaut, Wilder..and on and on....

Could have been much worse.

They could have asked Nick Cage to star. He'd have obviously said "Yes Please" (As he does with every comic book movie ever made) and then gone on to butcher it.

He truly is the Leifeld of Comic book movies.

I feel sorry for the Kick @$$ movie.