• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic book ubiquity and resulting fatigue

85 posts in this topic

I am sorry to hear that you are growing into a mature adult. Very sad!

Seriously, though... If you have any appreciation for cover art, and you're tired of comics, I highly recommend you check out the realm of rare paperbacks. Get a book called "Dames, Dolls & Delinquents" for starters. Amazing art! Pulps also have some phenomenal artwork (and are quite rare), but paperbacks are smaller and more durable than pulps.

I prefer pulps over paperbacks, and I'll likely get more into pulps as time passes.

For comic-book rarity, late 1930s/early '40s stuff is obviously a good realm to focus on. I can't imagine anybody getting jaded because tracking down a complete set of L.B. Cole "Suspense Comics" issues is too easy.

I have a large collection of Cole books, but I'm lacking some of the Suspense books... not all of them were his top work, but Suspense 8-12 are quite nice.

Perhaps it is time to broaden your horizons. Are you up to it?

I have been broadening my horizons in comics, but I'm finding that other fields of collecting are winning the war for limited funds based on the fact that I may never come across those items for a long time.

Why don't you share some of those other fields with us... I love hearing about the OTHER stuff people collect.

There have been a couple of "other things we collect" threads where I talked about other things I collect. Besides comics, I also collect 1960s Japanese records, Japanese movie posters from the late 60s/early 70s, 1970s original Jamaican pressing reggae records, and some other stuff.

I can't believe that Mark Zaid (esquirecomics) does not have books rare enough for you to add to your collection. There are some others here also that could meet your challenge. Try thse ashcan editions from years gone by.

I'm not looking solely for rarity, but rarity combined with a theme/artist/character that I enjoy. Seriously though, how many books haven't passed through the Boards or all of the auction sites at some point in a 2-5 year span? Not a whole lot, I venture to guess.

Got just the thing for you.....placing aside Centaurs, Think

Wow What A Magzaine

Very rare, early/earliest Eisner, Kane, Briefer etc.

jb

Not to be a , but the entire run has been sold by Al Stoltz multiple times. Those books are not as rare as people think. They're still rare, don't misunderstand me, but they aren't dinosaur eggs.

Nobody's ever seen another one of these, for example:
:wishluck:

:taptaptap: GA Forum. :baiting:

Looked for one for five years, including all internet sites. Now I have two, but still...

millie002.jpg

Another one is Millie the Model 42. Extremely rare.

Looked for one for five years, including all internet sites. Now I have two, but still...

millie002.jpg

Another one is Millie the Model 42. Extremely rare.

:cloud9: Much better!

I can't believe that Mark Zaid (esquirecomics) does not have books rare enough for you to add to your collection. There are some others here also that could meet your challenge. Try thse ashcan editions from years gone by.

I'm not looking solely for rarity, but rarity combined with a theme/artist/character that I enjoy. Seriously though, how many books haven't passed through the Boards or all of the auction sites at some point in a 2-5 year span? Not a whole lot, I venture to guess.

Wow What A Magzaine

jb

Not to be a , but the entire run has been sold by Al Stoltz multiple times. Those books are not as rare as people think. They're still rare, don't misunderstand me, but they aren't dinosaur eggs.

Do not want to be a "fork" but I disagree as to the #2 (and the others generally). The purpose of the thread was (I thought) he was seeking out books that are rare that have some 'history' attached and one would be happy to find in any condition. Books that would be fun to "hunt"

...and I suppose it depends what you mean as "rare" for books that were sold on the newsstand.

Do you know of more than five copies of Wow 2, New 6, Keen Comics 1, Whirlwind 3, Rocket 3 that you have seen available for sale. For Wow #2, I am suggesting it meets the standard for a Gerber 10.

The Central Valley was a unique collection that contained pre-hero (Action 1) books. A fabulous fine but special as to its contents.

Jon

Paul, one of the things that I find strange among collectors is that rarity seems to be the primary motivational force. I mean we all want the things that we can't have, and that's a motivation for almost everyone to try and succeed in life, but why is it that once we obtain it we have no fondness or desire to keep it?

As Nearmint mentioned in the other thread, just the fact that Captain Marvel Adventures #1 is so rare unrestored makes him want a copy.

I find my primary hindrance to be money. If I had the money I'd own one of every comic ever made and just roll around in them. I wish I could keep every comic I've ever owned but between children and my day to day obligations I can't afford to...although Louise will tell you that my comics are the last to go.

:cloud9:

I find my primary motivation for collecting to be nostalgia, with rarity taking a very distant second and I find that gap between interests to be widening from year to year.

I love reliving either my youth or someone else's by delving into an era that no longer exists. For that reason, I love them all. Pre hero, humor, hero, romance. Heck, I can even enjoy a war comics under the correct influence.

:insane:

I think a better question to be asked in this thread is why did you (or anyone for that matter) begin collecting comics in the first place?

If it's for the thrill of the hunt, and not to keep, then isn't it ironic to call ourselves collectors when we are just hunters?

edited to say that the Internet is awesome and has opened worlds to me that I would never had known about previously. It allows me to not only search out comics but enjoy the collections of others.

Wow What A Magzaine

jb

here are nice scans of Wow #1-3

WOWMagazine-808970-1F-1.jpg

WOWMagazine-808970-2F-1.jpg

WOWMagazine-808970-3F-1.jpg

You know, touching on the post relating to women brought up a few thoughts. As if that would be a surprise.

:roflmao:

You can have the hottest woman on the planet, but it doesn't take much to get either bored or annoyed if there is no balance in the relationship.

I think the same general line of thinking can apply to anything in life. If there is no deep, real connection, or if the relationship is overwhelmingly one sided, it's going to lose it's appeal and detach itself.

The object of affection is not in and of itself enough to keep it enjoyable or appreciated. Space and time (room to breathe) are just as important in life (or in a hobby) as the actual object of affection.

Just a thought.

Wow What A Magzaine

jb

Do not want to be a "fork" but I disagree as to the #2 (and the others generally). The purpose of the thread was (I thought) he was seeking out books that are rare that have some 'history' attached and one would be happy to find in any condition. Books that would be fun to "hunt"

...and I suppose it depends what you mean as "rare" for books that were sold on the newsstand.

Do you know of more than five copies of Wow 2, New 6, Keen Comics 1, Whirlwind 3, Rocket 3 that you have seen available for sale. For Wow #2, I am suggesting it meets the standard for a Gerber 10.

The Central Valley was a unique collection that contained pre-hero (Action 1) books. A fabulous fine but special as to its contents.

Jon

I don't want to get into an argument with you on Golden Age rarity, because I'll lose ( :eek: ).

I'm not saying they aren't rare (the Wows) - as they clearly are extremely rare. I just don't think they are as amazingly tough as they were made out to be. They're probably Gerber 9.5s ( :grin: ) as opposed to Gerber 10s. The Wows are (probably) findable within a week or so, given the right amount of funds and the right contacts - I'd start with Al, for example. The others you listed are probably much much harder to find.

I must admit I'm less excited about common books...and the internet takes the edge off of most material. Here's 2 books that I'm convinced that I would have NEVER acquired if not for the web, particularly in this kind of shape. I've often wondered who owns the Mile High copies of either of this...both nearly impossible in Fine or better.. GOD BLESS...-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u 

VENUS18.jpg

menace5.jpg

Central Valley or Lost Valley?

Hey what do your expect from an aging person at 6 in the morn...

I only expect you to sell me your Amazing man 26 :baiting:

Wow What A Magzaine

jb

Jon

I don't want to get into an argument with you on Golden Age rarity, because I'll lose ( :eek: ).

I'm not saying they aren't rare (the Wows) - as they clearly are extremely rare. I just don't think they are as amazingly tough as they were made out to be. They're probably Gerber 9.5s ( :grin: ) as opposed to Gerber 10s. The Wows are (probably) findable within a week or so, given the right amount of funds and the right contacts - I'd start with Al, for example. The others you listed are probably much much harder to find.

No argument here. I guess it easier to say there is a lot of early GA out there which is obtainable that does not have to break the bank...and the thrill of the hunt goes on. Before the Internet dominated the hobby, one would "Gerber Shop" book covers from the Photo Journals. Before that, a lot depended on what Overstreet would display in his Guide. jb