• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please explain why people spend $20 to slab a books that sells for $9

81 posts in this topic

I need some insight into this. Perhaps I am dense? I see plenty of books in high grade CGC slabs selling for less than the slabbing costs.

I am not talking about missed defects here that result in lower grades. I am pointing to 70s and 80s book in CGC 9.2 and 9.4 that are selling for less than the slabbing costs.

I am not talking about missed defects here that result in lower grades. I am pointing to 70s and 80s book in CGC 9.2 and 9.4 that are selling for less than the slabbing costs.

What makes you think those 9.2 and 9.4 grades aren`t the result of missing defects or not knowing how to grade in general? Maybe the owners thought they had good shots at 9.6s and 9.8s and got a rude awakening from CGC. (shrug)

What makes you think those 9.2 and 9.4 grades aren`t the result of missing defects or not knowing how to grade in general? Maybe the owners thought they had good shots at 9.6s and 9.8s and got a rude awakening from CGC. (shrug)

I have to agree with this thought. Or, the books have sentimental value to them, and they wanted to have it slabbed for that reason.

I have to agree with this thought. Or, the books have sentimental value to them, and they wanted to have it slabbed for that reason.

But then they wouldn`t have them for sale.

I wanted to bid on a Generation X 9.8 (white queen cover) and asked for the shipping cost to Belgium. I got to see the mail to late, oterwise I might have been the winner of that Ebay sell. It was gone for just over $2.50... Now, even for a modern, that must have hurt...

But then they wouldn`t have them for sale.

And then the sentimental value changed once they saw the grade? (shrug)

Being new to all the CGC books until 6 months ago, I always used the overstreet guide to find prices. The first couple CGC books I bought were using the overstreet guide as a reference. I bought an ASM 177 9.4 for $40, the guide on it was $32 in overstreet so it seemed like a good deal plus I got this shiny case (thumbs u Seemed to me that something that was worth $32 and Cost $20 to slab was a real bargain. Now the seller had quite a few books and I was the only one who bought any of them so it made me wonder what the deal was. I then discovered the GPA :whee:

I think a lot of those books were slabbed without understanding what the real values are and people end up being very suprised hm

this is probably the most likely scenario.

Who cares if you can buy them for less than slabbing fees? Let them carry on so we can pick up the bargains.

It has to hurt when someone starts an eBay auction for a slabbed book at $.99 for a low insertion fee, and it sells for - you guessed it - $.99 + shipping.

:eek:

Who cares if you can buy them for less than slabbing fees? Let them carry on so we can pick up the bargains.

It has to hurt when someone starts an eBay auction for a slabbed book at $.99 for a low insertion fee, and it sells for - you guessed it - $.99 + shipping.

:eek:

I sold a Batman #279 (or #280) CGC 9.2 last week on eBay, it ended up at $7 or so. The market ain't the best right now so it was my own fault for putting it up at no reserve.

But them's the chances you take.

Agreed.

The market ain't the best right now so it was my own fault for putting it up at no reserve.

But them's the chances you take.

Double agreed.

So going on GPA when I actually bought the book, the question should be 'why are people only paying $9 for books that used to sell for higher?'

if people started their auctions at a better % of what they think it might be worth, they'd be out the listing fees, but won't be selling slabs for $2. i'm not talking 100% of GPA for a common book or 100% of OPG, but saving a few pennies on listing with a 99 cent auction start is usually a bad move unless you have a lot of people who check out your auctions or what you have is a hot commodity.

about 4 or 5 years ago i picked up an early 9.8 moore swamp thing for $9.99 from colossus. i was the only bidder that week for whatever reason. when i decided i didn't feel like keeping it long-term, using free auction listings i sold it for $34.99, probably on the 3rd or 4th shot. no doubt it would have sold for 99 cents or 9.99 had i listed it at a lower price point. the moral of the story is that just because something sells for $9.99 in one auction one week doesn't mean that nobody out there is willing to pay more. but if you start at $9.99 you'll never know if they were willing to go to $25-$35 unless there's a second person out there that week bidding too.

I need some insight into this. Perhaps I am dense? I see plenty of books in high grade CGC slabs selling for less than the slabbing costs.

You're asking the wrong crowd here :screwy:

if people started their auctions at a better % of what they think it might be worth, they'd be out the listing fees, but won't be selling slabs for $2. i'm not talking 100% of GPA for a common book or 100% of OPG, but saving a few pennies on listing with a 99 cent auction start is usually a bad move unless you have a lot of people who check out your auctions or what you have is a hot commodity.

about 4 or 5 years ago i picked up an early 9.8 moore swamp thing for $9.99 from colossus. i was the only bidder that week for whatever reason. when i decided i didn't feel like keeping it long-term, using free auction listings i sold it for $34.99, probably on the 3rd or 4th shot. no doubt it would have sold for 99 cents or 9.99 had i listed it at a lower price point. the moral of the story is that just because something sells for $9.99 in one auction one week doesn't mean that nobody out there is willing to pay more. but if you start at $9.99 you'll never know if they were willing to go to $25-$35 unless there's a second person out there that week bidding too.

+ 1

Trying to cut your listing fees that then leads to a potential low sale is just dangerous unless you are listing many books to attract a larger bidder pool.